The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: This made me smile  (Read 1720 times)

Offline Pout

• IceShanty Rookie
This made me smile
« on: Jan 17, 2014, 08:28 PM »
I was fishing Placid today and there were a few groups out there.  Overheard one fella about 300 yards away say to his buddy, "That guy's hand auger is faster than my power auger!"  Got to love the Nils  ;D   
Save gas. Fart in a jar

Offline Buckshot86

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: This made me smile
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2014, 08:53 PM »
I love my hand auger.  I never seen one growing up and always thought they would be miserable to deal with; always had gas augers instead. I bought one of the nicer ones from Scheel's as a backup but because its so light and compact, I use it more then my gas auger when fishing smaller lakes. The first few trips hand drilling holes can be work, but once you get used to it, they are much faster then I expected.

Offline Batanga

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2014, 09:12 PM »
I just bought a new Eskimo 8" hand auger and it is awesome.  Fast, light and always reliable...always wanted a power auger but now I'm not sure...

Offline Pout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2014, 09:31 PM »
Haha...If it is a slow day I like to have informal races with gas augers.  When I hear one fire up, I crank my rod in, jump up and start cutting.  Good fun :P
Save gas. Fart in a jar

Offline hi_tail

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2014, 12:08 AM »
I would never give up my Swedish MORA!
Not sure if the new MORAs are as good as I see they are now made in china.
I baby mine: never let anyone borrow it, always oil her blades and always, ALWAYS sheath the cutters the second I am done drilling. 
It is amazing how little it takes to dull those razors.
On the other hand, it is amazing how well a sharp MORA will drill down.  I don't get shavings, I get ice ribbons   @)
Who knew $10 at an estate auction could bring me so much joy on the ice   ;D

Offline Pastor B

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2014, 12:27 AM »
I just bought a new Eskimo 8" hand auger and it is awesome.  Fast, light and always reliable...always wanted a power auger but now I'm not sure...

I have the same hand auger as my back up... My buddy always had bad hand augers with dull blades, but that Eskimo rips through the ice! ;D
Play hard!  Pray hard!

Offline BigSage

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whack'm n Stack'm
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2014, 11:14 AM »
I'll take my Strike Lite any day over a hand auger, especially when I'm punches 50+ holes a day, or I've got thick ice.

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2014, 11:43 AM »
Just used my new Nils for the first time today.  Amazing!

To each their own, but I figure I only have two means of getting exercise while ice fishing: getting to my fishing spot and drilling holes.  There will come a day when I'll switch to motorized on-lake transportation and drilling...but not today.  ;)
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline Pout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2014, 02:03 PM »
Hey Born Late, quite the eye opener when you use a nils for the first time eh?  My last trip out I punched 40 - 50 holes in at least 15" of ice.  I suppose I would have made more if I had a power auger.
Save gas. Fart in a jar

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2014, 02:17 PM »
Hand augers are great but when your running 5 tip downs per guy with 3 guys plus jigging holes id love to watch a nils guy burn those holes then when fishings slow you want to relocate and do it all over again...aint no way youll be pounding your chest how awesome your nils is when theres a power auger in on e of your buddies sleds...no thank you bud its enjoyable to hand drill  :flex:

Offline IceemPATS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2014, 03:48 PM »
Love my strike master lazer but too many holes = not much fun.

Offline hi_tail

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2014, 05:57 PM »

Everyone I hear who has a Nils, loves it and would prefer nothing over it except maybe a light saber.
Everyone who has a Nils auger, please stop talking about how great they are, because I love my Mora, and don't want to spend anymore $ on a new auger that I "need" haha    ;D

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2014, 06:58 PM »
Heh heh...I hear ya.  I wrestled with the decision to switch from my Mora. It remains to be seen how long the blade on the Nils stays sharp but I'm certainly impressed after the first day. That said, I have no plans to race any power augers. ;)

Offline Pout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2014, 07:53 PM »
Everyone I hear who has a Nils, loves it and would prefer nothing over it except maybe a light saber.

You know where I can get a light saber!!!?  :woot:
Save gas. Fart in a jar

Offline Pout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2014, 08:04 PM »
Heh heh...I hear ya.  I wrestled with the decision to switch from my Mora. It remains to be seen how long the blade on the Nils stays sharp but I'm certainly impressed after the first day. That said, I have no plans to race any power augers. ;)

As long as you take care of your auger, like hi_tail takes care of his, they will stay sharp a long time.  A good friend of mine finally had his Nils sharpened this year after 8-10 years of heavy use and loving care.  Let the weight of your arms do the cutting and don't try to rip it up and out of the hole after you punch through.
Save gas. Fart in a jar

Offline UncleFarm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2014, 01:22 PM »
Pout- Thank you for the tip: "and don't try to rip it up and out of the hole after you punch through." I absolutely love my Eskimo hand-auger I just got and I was making this mistake and now I know and can stop.  Cheers!
:tipup: Helena Hand-Auger :tipup:

Offline Jberg440

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2014, 11:24 PM »
Nils are the only way to go for hand augers….soooo fast and smooth!
The man banging on the door yelled "Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms"... I just assumed it was more supplies.

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2014, 09:25 AM »
I'd recommend putting the guard on any time you set it down particularly if you have kids or dogs running around.  I found a few drops of blood next to mine yesterday likely from my nosey Lab.  Those blades are SHARP!

Offline UncleFarm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 20, 2014, 04:05 PM »
Affirmative! Cover goes on before I scoop
:tipup: Helena Hand-Auger :tipup:

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #19 on: Jan 20, 2014, 04:14 PM »
You know where I can get a light saber!!!?  :woot:

I've heard tell of this Smuggler's Bar on Tatooine  :unsure:
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline Pout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 20, 2014, 09:48 PM »
Haaaahaaaahhhhhaaa.... .

So of course I had to google light sabers.  Check this out, it is only a matter of time...  ;D

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57604823-1/science-trumps-the-force-to-create-a-real-life-lightsaber/
Save gas. Fart in a jar

Offline dabyrd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2014, 12:21 AM »
Kudos to the Mora!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.