The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: catch and release  (Read 5409 times)

oldschoolben

Re: catch and release
« Reply #60 on: Dec 30, 2013, 02:14 PM »
This is better than going to the movies. I better get some popcorn :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo:
this isn't so bad th noxon walleye thread blew up it was nuts

Offline HuntMT4Life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Dec 30, 2013, 02:46 PM »
This thread has really blown up...with the growth it definitely got entertaining.  FWP sets limits for a reason and if anyone is catching fish, keeping them, and not eating them, aka wasting a resource, then that person needs to rethink what they are doing.  If someone wants to catch a bucket full of jumbo perch, all within the legal limit for the water body, more power to them for finding the fish.

Offline luv2fshmt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Dec 30, 2013, 03:13 PM »
I am certainly not saying I personally know what's best for a fishery but I do question if the people at FWP know what's best.  These are the same government agencies that decided wolves would be a great re-introduction and we now see where we are today.  I like most of you, will keep a few smaller fish if it's desired for dinner but I always put the big fish back.  I always look at as though I enjoyed catching that fish and I hope someday someone else will have that same joy.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Dec 30, 2013, 03:28 PM »
I do question if the people at FWP know what's best.  These are government agencies
   :o

Now get the popcorn out   ;D
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline Jberg440

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Dec 31, 2013, 08:27 AM »
Maybe I should start fishing with out hooks…. you know for the good of the school? On second thought I may have my third fish fry in a week today and eat away my guilt.  >:D
The man banging on the door yelled "Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms"... I just assumed it was more supplies.

Offline MTangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy fishy fishy.
« Reply #65 on: Dec 31, 2013, 09:23 AM »
We have been catching them out of CF like this for 10 years,every year the average size goes UP,I doubt many perch fisherman release jumbos for the good of the fishery.When you yank a fish off the bottom in 50 fow the chances of them surviving a release is minimal.ill keep "flaunting" my fish pics MF,if it offends you all the better.

:sick: 

Offline HolePounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Dec 31, 2013, 11:05 AM »
Im having friends over for a perch fry tonight,Im sure they will feel the guilt as well.
Catch and release,into BACON GREASE!

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Dec 31, 2013, 11:24 AM »
AAAAHAHAHAHA

Offline GOOSE_EGG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rip'n Lips [URL=http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/
« Reply #68 on: Dec 31, 2013, 03:55 PM »
NONYA/Icecreep/HolePounder  what's next? Should we get a pool going?
NONYA/Icecreep/HolePounder you almost pulled it off you were playing nice and then you posted a pic of your "NAPA KNOW HOW" bucket and now classic NONYA came out. Come on man. My uncle is a psychologist I'll see if he will see you a few hours a week so you can get better. I feel bad for you.

Offline HolePounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Dec 31, 2013, 04:01 PM »
Do you think you can get me a group rate?Dont feel bad for me,Im catching limits of big perch,shooting mallards in the evening,things are good.If by classic nonya you mean not putting up arrogant plicks who think they are going to tell you how to fish you are correct.Arnt you the same guy that was Pming me from his cell phone trying to figure out where I was fishing the other day?

Offline GOOSE_EGG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Dec 31, 2013, 04:12 PM »
I did. But all I asked is if you were the guy in the black frabil flip over. Don't act like your the only NONYA out there catching perch. Does everyone have to post pics of there catch?

I also talked to my uncle he said he will do it for free. Said it seems like you really need some help. Ill pm you his number.

Offline HolePounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Dec 31, 2013, 04:20 PM »
Nope my best eye this year was about 4lbs.Did you take a pic of yours?Are you responding to posts by going back and modifying your old ones?

Offline GOOSE_EGG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Dec 31, 2013, 04:23 PM »
Nope my best eye this year was about 4lbs.Did you take a pic of yours?
Lol 4lbs. Your a stud.

Offline GOOSE_EGG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Dec 31, 2013, 04:37 PM »
Well I suppose your right. Good day sir

Offline HolePounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Dec 31, 2013, 04:38 PM »
MF you should get in on this group rate,maybe he can help you come to terms with your issue.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #75 on: Dec 31, 2013, 04:40 PM »
Pass

Offline HolePounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Dec 31, 2013, 04:40 PM »
Cmon ill go with you and we can do some group therapy...

Offline Golden Trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Dec 31, 2013, 05:11 PM »
I

Offline GOOSE_EGG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Dec 31, 2013, 05:18 PM »
I usually just throw the perch, sunfish, and crappie on the ice, but will eat anything else usually at any size.  If I can find anyone in the Kalispell area who likes to eat perch, sunfish, or crappie I would be more than happy to clean them and deliver them to you
oh dear

Offline hagfan72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Dec 31, 2013, 05:34 PM »
I usually just throw the perch, sunfish, and crappie on the ice, but will eat anything else usually at any size.  If I can find anyone in the Kalispell area who likes to eat perch, sunfish, or crappie I would be more than happy to clean them and deliver them to you

Please tell us you're joking... >:(

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #80 on: Dec 31, 2013, 05:47 PM »
Gt, check your personal messages...

Offline frenchy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • addicted to bass fishing
« Reply #81 on: Dec 31, 2013, 05:49 PM »
First poster... You're a donut. Just wow.

I let 99.9% of the fish go unless they are hooked badly. And if It's hooked badly then I'll eat it. C&R so others can catch the fish and keep the sport going.
Bass fishing is #1

Offline HolePounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Dec 31, 2013, 05:49 PM »
LOL you thought you had an argument before......

Offline Golden Trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Dec 31, 2013, 05:52 PM »
How is the fishing in CT?  what do you guys usually catch over there, also how big in the perch population? 

Offline GOOSE_EGG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Dec 31, 2013, 05:56 PM »
Oh dear

Offline frenchy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • addicted to bass fishing
« Reply #85 on: Dec 31, 2013, 06:02 PM »
How is the fishing in CT?  what do you guys usually catch over there, also how big in the perch population?

I go for bass... But there is everything haha, pike, perch, crappies, salmon, lake trout, etc..
Bass fishing is #1

Offline Golden Trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Dec 31, 2013, 06:16 PM »
Nice, what type of salmon do you guys have there

Offline hagfan72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Dec 31, 2013, 08:21 PM »
I speak sarcasm fluently, and if it was sarcasm, then I missed it too. :-\

Offline vicster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #88 on: Dec 31, 2013, 10:10 PM »
Here is my take on the subject.  I love catching and eating fish and will spend numerous day on the ice fishing perch/trout/salmon/hammerhandles ect... fishing to accomplish both.  My passion is catching big fish and I know they are a limited and fragile resource.  Example: it takes around 10 years in a fertile lake (up to 20 + in cold infertile) to grow a 40 inch northern (according to many state fish and game depts sutdies I looked at).  These fish are the high end of the gene pool, they have survived predation when young, survived disease and competition as young adults, and are the reproductive base for there species in any body of water (not only do the big females produce more eggs but they are heather and have a higher rate of producing viable offspring (also based on studies I've read).  Taking numbers of large fish out of a system can weaken the gene pool, reduce reproductive efficency, and in the case of pike can take a decade to replace.
 If you don't think selective harvest can produce more and bigger critters, look at the Elkhorn mtns.  In the 80s the bull to cow ratio was 1 to 50 with most of them being spikes and reproductive rates were low.  Now with selective regs(spike bull or special draw for branch antlered) the average age of a bull harvested there is 6 and a half and scores in the 320+ range and the heard is thriving.  Do what you will within the law, but if you want more and bigger fish eat young fish and put the big spawners back.  Would be good to see fwp manage a lake or two for trophy fish and see the results....

Offline MTangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy fishy fishy.
« Reply #89 on: Dec 31, 2013, 11:36 PM »
Man I am trying my best to stay out of this one but let me just keep it short and sweet….some people….

By the way I think golden trout was being a troll and hoping to keep this thread going for another 5 pages…anytime a C&R post comes up its bound to be a doozie. Let's all just stick to what we know…fishing  ;D

MTA

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.