The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice Fishing Hell Creek  (Read 13926 times)

Offline b wojo

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice Fishing Hell Creek
« Reply #90 on: Jan 29, 2013, 04:10 PM »
Been wathcing the weather for HC this weekend also.  Were heading up sunday late morning early afternoon and fishing for 6 or 7 days.    The Wunderground forcast is jacked up.  If you look on the web page you can see where you can shange the forcast over to the weather service model, and also change reprting stations.  Look at the wprswxnet which appears to be near the south tip of hell creek.    That forcast shows highs in the low 40s and lows in the low 20s and colder (much) earlier in the week.   I think it will be ok... Hope so cause im about 18,000 with truck, camper and 4 wheeler and all my crap. 

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #91 on: Jan 29, 2013, 04:54 PM »
Yes, changing stations certainly makes a difference. I'm going up Friday morning and ice camping so too cold is bad, too warm is bad...mid 30's is just right.  ;D

The barometer is rising then stable next week. Should be perfect for you. Best fishing times peak at sundown, so I'd expect the walleye to be rocking.

Offline Smoov iced

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #92 on: Jan 29, 2013, 09:28 PM »
I hope your right I'm fishing with b wojo and its my first trip to Peck, can't wait to ice some fish :tipup:

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #93 on: Jan 30, 2013, 07:15 AM »
Weather is cold, breezy but fishable.  Leaving this morning from HC.  Spent 5 days here.  Just found out last night about the WiFi.

wish you many hook-ups

Offline fishin7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't know unless you go!
« Reply #94 on: Jan 30, 2013, 11:49 AM »
Weather is cold, breezy but fishable.  Leaving this morning from HC.  Spent 5 days here.  Just found out last night about the WiFi.

How was the fishing and the ice?  Heading up there on friday morning!  :clap:

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #95 on: Jan 30, 2013, 09:02 PM »
fishing7,

The ice was nice, dry & range from 10'' up thick with a thin 1/2'' layer of snow.  Our first 4 days were awesome weather days and Tuesday got down right western.  The guys with the tip-ups did the best for number of catches.  We fished old style with rod and reel with 1 tip up. 

Perch all day long non-stop any kind of jig with maggot or worm pieces.  Sizes ran 4'' to about 11'' for me.

Pike sporadic but abundant several different things work.  Dead minnows to live minnows.  18'' to 30'' for me

Walleye were slim pickings.  Live minnow were used by others but I used dead bait on a perch rattle trap and latched into a monster walleye that I did not ice . 

The road was good going in and ruff on the way out.  Washboard.  There are icy spots but no real hazards.
wish you many hook-ups

Offline fishin7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't know unless you go!
« Reply #96 on: Jan 30, 2013, 11:42 PM »
fishing7,

The ice was nice, dry & range from 10'' up thick with a thin 1/2'' layer of snow.  Our first 4 days were awesome weather days and Tuesday got down right western.  The guys with the tip-ups did the best for number of catches.  We fished old style with rod and reel with 1 tip up. 

Perch all day long non-stop any kind of jig with maggot or worm pieces.  Sizes ran 4'' to about 11'' for me.

Pike sporadic but abundant several different things work.  Dead minnows to live minnows.  18'' to 30'' for me

Walleye were slim pickings.  Live minnow were used by others but I used dead bait on a perch rattle trap and latched into a monster walleye that I did not ice . 

The road was good going in and ruff on the way out.  Washboard.  There are icy spots but no real hazards.

Awesome!   Thanks for the detailed response it's much appreciated!  I will do the same when I get back.  Sounds like you did well, too bad on the big walleye, but losses like that are what keep ya coming back!

Offline Dinga LING

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • <
« Reply #97 on: Jan 31, 2013, 07:48 AM »
Spent 3 days fishing there this past weekend.  Got some nice pike but the walleyes were slow.

Met my old buddy Quantoson and his wife.  Had a nice chat and an ice fishing special.  It was good to see him again.

Much to my pleasure I met another IceShanty member.  I never met him before, but as I was drilling my first hole Sat. AM he drove up on his 4 wheeler and said "Hi old man, need some help?"  I wasn't having any trouble, he was just being kind.  You meet the nicest people on the ice.  Later on, he saw me working on filetting a Northern then offered to show me a better way if I caught more.  That afternoon I got 2 nice Pike and took them over for some lessons. He wacked them out in about a min. each.  It was much appreciated.

During our conversations, I spotted an IceShanty sticker on his 4 wheeler and got his name of "Reseyes".  Your help is much appreciated bud, you are a true gentelman.  Thanks

Give a man a fish,  he eats for a day.
Teach a man to fish,  he sits all day on the ice drinking beer.

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #98 on: Jan 31, 2013, 03:26 PM »
Dinga Ling,

Thank You for the hospitality, CampMeat (my wife Rosie), Dan and myself enjoyed the visit.  A big thanks for the magic minnows you gave us, Dan caught the 2 biggest Pike off of them.

Thanks to lunker_lake that we got the room at Hell Creek.  His fishing crew were a nice bunch and they did well.  They never complained about our noise right next door to them.

Herb

P.S.  I just finished cleaning the Pike goo off the rods and reels.
wish you many hook-ups

Offline Smoov iced

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #99 on: Feb 01, 2013, 07:26 PM »
Have everthing packed, checked and doubled checked, just have to get through Saturday and Sunday will be :tipup: heading to ice some fish, Clint said theres 14" of ice in the Bay and it looks good to the west but a little tricky to the east, b wojo and I will be around on a red kawasaki and camo yamaha, red eskimo shack and black cabelas, staying in the campground, Clint also said the road coming in is in pretty good shape, hope to meet some shanty followers there. :tipup:

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #100 on: Feb 01, 2013, 07:57 PM »
Have everthing packed, checked and doubled checked, just have to get through Saturday and Sunday will be :tipup: heading to ice some fish, Clint said theres 14" of ice in the Bay and it looks good to the west but a little tricky to the east, b wojo and I will be around on a red kawasaki and camo yamaha, red eskimo shack and black cabelas, staying in the campground, Clint also said the road coming in is in pretty good shape, hope to meet some shanty followers there. :tipup:

I was going up Friday, but delayed due to the roads and having to be in Helena Thursday. Leaving Monday either for Hell Creek or Devils Lake depending on a decision to be made on how warm it actually is up there Monday.

Offline Smoov iced

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #101 on: Feb 01, 2013, 10:02 PM »
Wenger look us up if you make it to Hell Creek, we can swap notes

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #102 on: Feb 01, 2013, 11:06 PM »
Will do. I probably will be camping out near Peterson or toward Snow Creek in a Red Quick 4.

Offline Tacojuan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #103 on: Feb 03, 2013, 05:04 PM »
Heading up early Friday morning want to ice some eyes. Does anyone having any luck getting into them?

Offline Smoov iced

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #104 on: Feb 07, 2013, 05:40 PM »
Great first trip to Peck, caught some nice pike lost two big fish at the hole but it was still a blast, walleye were slow but I did catch my first sauger.  Ice was pretty good two pressure ridges to deal with but no problem getting around them.  Did have a crazy experience fisshing all night tuesday when the ice decided it was going to move and talk alot, had a crack rip through by the shack, sounded like someone was stealing both otter sleds at a high rate of speed.  Im for sure going back next year, road was good going in and out.

Offline Firetrap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #105 on: Feb 07, 2013, 09:43 PM »
Headed up this monday for a few days. PM me if going up and we'll drank some burr.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.