The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Dailey's froze!  (Read 7940 times)

Offline coreice85

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Dailey's froze!
« Reply #60 on: Jan 02, 2012, 04:29 PM »
i was out there on the first of this month and there was snow on the lake and i did hear there was a quad that went through but didnt see it but the fishing was a lot better with the snow on the lake i cought 12 perch on newyears eav and on new years day i cought 5 and my buddy cought 12 but he was out sence 10 and i got there at one and fishing looked like it was getting better closer to sun down i would watch out for open ice i wasnt able to get out today but im gussing there will be some to day hope winter gets hear soon

Offline Fishman Teters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Jan 02, 2012, 05:09 PM »
Not trying to be a sissy a$$ mamas boy, but be careful out there. :tipup:

Offline coreice85

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Jan 03, 2012, 12:00 PM »
i am always i usualy go out early in the morning and drill my way out to where i want to be for the prime feeding times and if there is any open water i stay fare fare away my wife and kids like it when dady comes home from all his fishing trips from daily also looking for a fishing partner around daily to go with kinda getting tired of not haveing some one dependibal to go fishing with and usualy dont go out by my self in weather like this .

Offline Fishman Teters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Jan 03, 2012, 12:20 PM »
Sunday and Monday are my days off, but with the holiday season just about over, I am able to get more and more time off for fun. Keep me posted, I love to get out.

Offline Kito

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Jan 06, 2012, 09:01 AM »
Tuesday's and Wednesdays for me.

Offline lipripr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Jan 07, 2012, 01:26 AM »
MY ADVICE, BE VERY CAREFUL! Ice conditions R NOT very safe, to say the least. Fished today, Jan. 6th. Portions of the lake on the SE end have really opened up from last Sunday. From what I could see there are 7-8 spots a person should really avoid that were visible thru-out the lake. The big, dangerous kicker is that there are open pockets (lots of them!)  the size of a 5 gal. bucket up to the size of your sled or bigger that a person could or will fall thru unless u know what to look for. These spots seem to be worse the closer you are to the open water. Ice thickness next to the open water is around 5'' and back toward the main ramp is 7".
But trust me, be very careful! A person can fish Dailey this weekend, but watch where you walk. most of these areas (small open pockets) appear to be smooth, but I did run across a couple areas that had rough ice and were bad with an inch of ice or less. Spooky!
I dont mean to scare anyone, but please be careful! If u want 2 fish Dailey this weekend, take a friend. My concern for all is that these areas may freeze the next few nights, but how thick/safe will it be? Who knows.
Did I mention to be careful? Promise thats the last time!
Sorry I didnt post this on the ice and lake conditions(and for being so late). I felt this info would benifit more people on the general sight than keeping it from others that dont have enough posts. My opinion, my choice!

Offline chucknduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #66 on: Jan 07, 2012, 08:41 PM »
Very good detailed report. Ice reports are the best thing to post on this site. Helps ensure every one goes home every night.

I think I'm done with dailey unless it gets really cold.

Offline slabfisher12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Jan 08, 2012, 08:01 PM »
anyone know how the pearch are bittin :tipup:
:icefish: be bewy bewy quite im hunting fishies

Offline lipripr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Jan 08, 2012, 09:02 PM »
A week ago on Sunday not too bad. This past Friday it was worse than slow. Two of us fished for about 5 hrs (8am-1pm) and only marked about 2-3 fish each w/o a bite. Typical Dailey from my experience, do good on one trip and the next trip the exact opposite. Not much help.

Offline jagmt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Jan 08, 2012, 09:47 PM »
It was OK last Sunday, I haven't been out on the lake since the wind really started to blow and the temps started to warm up. Anyone else doing any good?

Offline Kito

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Jan 09, 2012, 09:13 AM »
I fished last wednesday and did good.  I kept only enough for a meal and let the rest go.  It was the fist time ever that I caught more "big" fish then little ones, but I had to work hard at finding them.

Offline chucknduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #71 on: Jan 09, 2012, 11:33 AM »
How's the ice holding up?

If the 10 day forecast is correct the it might save the ice. Seems like dailey always loosed ice fast especially for how cold it can.be in that part of the state.  What causes that? Wind, springs, or both? 

Hope it gets cold I'm hungry for perch.

Offline steelerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Jan 09, 2012, 11:52 AM »
I fished last wednesday and did good.  I kept only enough for a meal and let the rest go.  It was the fist time ever that I caught more "big" fish then little ones, but I had to work hard at finding them.

Give me a call If you go this week, not doing much, just going to try and kill some geese before Friday.

Offline duncanspencer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Jan 09, 2012, 07:29 PM »
First year ice fishing in Montana! So far so good except fir the ice Saturday very scary! Havent caught a purch yet anybody have anything tip for dailys?

Offline sturgill33

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Jan 10, 2012, 01:06 PM »
Whats everyones oppinion of fishing daily this weekend supposed to cool off some but not sure if it will be enough. any recent ice reports this week?

Offline TheGreenHornet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Jan 13, 2012, 08:07 PM »
Anyone been out the last couple days since the last cold snap?  I was thinking about hitting up Daily tomorrow but didn't want to waste the trip...

Offline Crestliner 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Jan 14, 2012, 01:51 PM »
fished last sat and sun and did ok both days. really feeding right about 4-5 pm.havent been out this week to see what the ice looks like but am going sun will post results

Offline Firetrap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Jan 14, 2012, 07:55 PM »
I might go hit it wednesday or friday after this cold snap starts monday.

Offline Crestliner 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Jan 16, 2012, 08:28 AM »
Fished sun, half the lake is open. the only place to get on the ice is the northwest corner.Be careful out there most ice was 8 inches but ran into a spot that was only 2.Didnt see a single fish all day no bites no nothing. we need some good cold weather to close up that open water so we can fish where we been fishing.

Offline Icedigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Jan 16, 2012, 05:06 PM »
Nice to meet you on Sunday Crestliner 1.  Better fishing on Dailey next time I hope.  Thanks for your help with my shack and your tips.
Icedigger

Offline Sprig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #80 on: Jan 19, 2012, 08:38 AM »
Fished 1/17/11 didn't mark a fish no bites the ice was not in very good shape do to the opean water and the wind!  fished 1pm to 5pm.  will go CF next time, ice is in alot better shape.

Offline Crestliner 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Jan 19, 2012, 09:11 PM »
sprig,did u fish it today, i was there sun and there were 2 huge spots of open water are they still there? how was the road in?

Offline jagmt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Jan 20, 2012, 11:56 PM »
Stopped by the Dailey this evening to check out the ice situation. The areas that were open, have froze over. Didnt see how think it was, but there were a couple of groups out fishing. Will give it a try tomorrow to see if the ice is safe where the fishing has been good.

Offline captain stubie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lip ripper!
« Reply #83 on: Jan 21, 2012, 09:46 PM »
Went out this morning and at sunrise there was a good inch of water on the ice and the wind was blowing...  :%$#!: so we went home and pulled out the fly rods  ;D
its better to have hooked and lost then to never have hooked at all.

Offline Crestliner 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Jan 22, 2012, 07:26 PM »
fished sat and sun, ice is in bad shape.can only fish the west side, ice was 7-9 inches,saw alot of fish but verrrry finicky only caught a couple dinks.about ready to give up on this place

Offline Sprig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Feb 02, 2012, 08:16 AM »
 Thinking of heading over there Friday and wondering if there is any ice or safe ice.

Offline njoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Feb 02, 2012, 01:46 PM »
 Daileys has about 85 % open water  as of Tuesday. Wind has been terrible up there. If it refreezes the next night or two, it still will not be safe.

Offline Crestliner 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Feb 06, 2012, 08:22 PM »
fished dailey sun, whole lake was froze up 8 inches on the west side but the water that was open is only about an inch maybe next weekend with the cold.oh yea saw 1 perch in 4 hrs

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.