The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: holter  (Read 13811 times)

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: holter
« Reply #60 on: Feb 15, 2010, 08:35 PM »
Was there today, 2/15.  Didn't see anything until about 5 then I saw some in 40 ft but they didn't bite.   I didn't see anyone else pull anything up but I didn't ask.

Bullelk34

« Reply #61 on: Feb 15, 2010, 09:56 PM »
Not sure what to call it..... Past the first campground a bit, we park at a private launch and walk from there. I call it "Corwin Point"....

Offline new_icer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Feb 15, 2010, 10:26 PM »
ok whats the secret to this lake fished it a few times and I cant even mark but a handful of fish let alone get any of them to bite.  any advice anyone.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Feb 15, 2010, 11:13 PM »
I know what your problem is, your fishing buddy is in Afghanistan.  He will show you where to fish in 2 weekends.

Offline flyfish59102

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If it didn't have a mother then it wasn't a meal.
« Reply #64 on: Feb 16, 2010, 10:30 AM »
I was out on Friday and did pretty bad. Only got two decent perch. Apparently they are catchign them pretty heavy at the top end of the lake. You take a 4 wheeler up lake from the last campground then drive over a hill and get back on the lake at some power lines. Didn't get there myself because it was too late but I saw about 6 different 4 wheelers loaded with gear heading that way.

flyfish59102

Offline new_icer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Feb 16, 2010, 06:20 PM »
I know what your problem is, your fishing buddy is in Afghanistan.  He will show you where to fish in 2 weekends.

well hurry the hell up and get back here then and show me whats up.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Feb 18, 2010, 12:31 AM »
Flights are backed up 10 days at Bagram, not looking good for my projected date. I knew I shouldn't of gotten my hopes up, but it kept me going for a time  :-\

How many holes are you drilling? I know you are on foot, but I would be giving that auger a work out until I was marking them and then not spending more that 5-10 minutes on a jig or hole until something happened.

Offline mtjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Feb 18, 2010, 12:54 AM »
drive over a hill and get back on the lake at some power lines
Don't drive over the hill; you can be ticketed for it.  It is pretty steep anyways and it would be a struggle on a wheeler.  The people you are seeing are probably driving all of the way around the point. I have walked over there before and done well, but it is kind of a pain in the arse.  If you decide to drive around the point it is about three miles.  There are some weird currents in there so watch the ice on your wheeler.
MT

Offline trappermike82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Feb 18, 2010, 09:50 AM »
What do you guys use for ling up on Holter?  I am going to make my first night time ice fishing trip ever and was wanting to catch a ling through the ice.  Will they take jigs?

Offline IcemanZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Feb 18, 2010, 10:06 AM »
Trappermike82,
I use spoons & pimples with treble hooks laid right on the bottom.  Used all kinds of bait that works but what really brings'em quick is "fresh" killed fat heads. Depending on the size of the minnow I'll chunk it into 2 or 3 pieces leaving as much entrails as I can dripping off it.  I run my :tipup:'s strait out from shore(starting in 30-35fow); and you'll see them get closer & shallower as the night goes...That's has really worked well this year!  Good Luck! :tipup:
Z

What do you guys use for ling up on Holter?  I am going to make my first night time ice fishing trip ever and was wanting to catch a ling through the ice.  Will they take jigs?
TED NUGENT for PRESIDENT!

Offline trappermike82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Feb 18, 2010, 11:19 AM »
Thanks IceManZ!  I'll let you know how I do this weekend!

Offline IcemanZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Feb 18, 2010, 11:32 AM »
As will I, going out SAT....Good Luck!! :tipup:
Z

Thanks IceManZ!  I'll let you know how I do this weekend!

Offline trappermike82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Feb 18, 2010, 12:37 PM »
I'm heading up Sat afternoon.  Good luck to as well and thanks for the info. :icefish:

iceandwiskey

« Reply #73 on: Feb 19, 2010, 01:12 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys.  I am heading out Sat. afternoon hoping for a ling or two... 

Bullelk34

« Reply #74 on: Feb 21, 2010, 10:09 AM »
Fished Saturday afternoon until dark- things are picking up. We got about 50 perch, a few walleye and ling, but no trout (which is fine). I imagine it will be just as good until ice out, can't wait for next weekend already.

Offline PROMO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Feb 21, 2010, 07:24 PM »
we fished all day saturday into sunday morning at log gulch and caught 3 rainbows. i caught my first ling and my dad also gets to cross ling off his bucket list but we only got those two... hell two ling made my weekend

Offline trappermike82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Feb 21, 2010, 08:09 PM »
Good to meet you this weekend!  Looks like a couple of us finally got to cross ling off of our to do lists!  It sounded like iceandwhiskey got ahold of another ling and some trout... I am waiting for the report.  Glad you guys made it back.  I went coyote hunting this morning after getting back to G town at 1 AM.  It was a little tough but the coyote in the back of the truck made it worth it.

Offline trappermike82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Feb 21, 2010, 08:45 PM »
Thanks again for the help IcemanZ

Offline PROMO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Feb 21, 2010, 09:00 PM »
we thought of going after yotes this morning but it got damn cold last night, and dads not a big fan of below zero stuff. but did buy a heater this afternoon so now i'm set untill i get that four wheeler

Offline IcemanZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Feb 21, 2010, 10:07 PM »
No worries Brother glad to help. How'd you end up doing? ...Good meeting ya as well!! :tipup:
Z

Thanks again for the help IcemanZ

Offline trappermike82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Feb 21, 2010, 11:29 PM »
We ended up pulling three out of the ice that night along with one nice bow.  Two of the ling were between 25 and 30 inches.  Apparently Frank and his wife caught one more ling towards the morning hours but I am still waiting for the details.

Promo: Maybe we are just stupid. 10+ inches of snow and -9 degrees to start most of the morning was not fun, but they were really moving today. We saw ten of em and I pulled the trigger on one with my shotty but it was so cold the firing pin only dented the primer...  Nice job on the heater.  Sure makes things a little more comfortable.

iceandwiskey

« Reply #81 on: Feb 22, 2010, 09:48 AM »
Well after it was all said and done.  "That means my wife had enough of my addiction"  we went home with 3 Ling and 2 trout (One of which Mike caught).  I was satisfied it being the first time I had targeted Ling.  I also managed not to sink the new 4 wheeler so all in all a good weekend.  Now where to go next weekend???

Offline trappermike82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Feb 22, 2010, 10:16 AM »
You have my number if you come up this way.  I had fun fishing with you guys!

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #83 on: Feb 22, 2010, 06:17 PM »
Went again, nothing.

Offline IcemanZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Feb 22, 2010, 06:21 PM »
Spent all day? And no bites at all?  Where you fishing at?? :tipup:
Z

Went again, nothing.

Offline muskyhntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:01 PM »
ICEMAN if you go to log gulch and walk 300-400 yards to the south west of the boat landing off the point and start putting tipups in 23 fow and start heading deeper to 40-45 fow.If you start around 4:00 p.m. and get all your lines in by dark and just wait and the ling will show up.Use a size 6 single hook and put a whole nightcrawler on leaving a tail of the worm to dangle and the just set your bait 3-6 inches off the bottom.We have caught 9 ling there the last 2 times out.Be patient we didn't have our first flag until 8:00pm the week before and it was almost 9:oo pm last fri.One tip make sure your tipup line is tied securely  to it's reel the ling have been taking a lot of line out.We had 3 tipups spooled fri night and my buddy's tipup had the line come untied.Hope this helps those ling are a blast and great to eat.

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #86 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:31 PM »
Spent all day? And no bites at all?  Where you fishing at?? :tipup:
Z

I left early around 3.  Around departure point.

Offline IcemanZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:42 PM »
Haven't had much luck there either nor have I heard of anyone else catching from there as well.  Been fishing right out log gulch, running the  :tipup:'s out at the end of the cove to 60fow.  Seems the later the day gets; bites get closer to shore...bites starting about 3 :tipup:
Z
I left early around 3.  Around departure point.

Offline PROMO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #88 on: Feb 22, 2010, 08:55 PM »
trappermike - i would've been out in that nasty weather but the old man i was with wasn't about to go out in that weather, he still hasn't tested out his electronic caller i bought him for christmas.  oh and tried the ling and holy crap it was the best fish i've ever had!

Offline trappermike82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Feb 26, 2010, 03:09 PM »
Anyone been up there this week?  I think I've caught ling fever  ;D  Going to give it another shot.  My wife will actually eat ling...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.