The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Georgetown Lake ice conditions?  (Read 33399 times)

Offline ham_viper

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Georgetown Lake ice conditions?
« Reply #60 on: Dec 15, 2009, 07:10 PM »
G-town on Sunday ~10-12" Ice, 15' Water, 6 Kokes and 3 bows, one at 15". Got there late, the roads were terrible so fished from 0900-1300. No fish after 1100.

Offline jimmerjammer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Dec 16, 2009, 04:30 PM »
was thinking about heading out tomorrow to g-town, what part of the lake has been the best fishing so far? i usually fish over at denton's, but didn't catch any trout last time i was there, just spawning kokes, i think i was fishing a little to shallow. it looked like more people were fishing by the dam that weekend. any info out there?

Offline muskyhntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Dec 16, 2009, 09:37 PM »
we fished over by badger bay last sat.and did pretty good.Not many kokes but the rainbows were biting,the big fish of the day was a 19" brook trout, hard to turn them loose.Hopefully they will lift the catch and release restriction soon.Good luck.

Offline iceotter88

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Catch and Release in bacon grease.
« Reply #63 on: Dec 17, 2009, 03:41 AM »
G-town on Sunday ~10-12" Ice, 15' Water, 6 Kokes and 3 bows, one at 15". Got there late, the roads were terrible so fished from 0900-1300. No fish after 1100.  Interesting. Where on the lake were you?

Offline ham_viper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Dec 17, 2009, 08:49 PM »

Offline RustyWaterDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Dec 18, 2009, 12:17 PM »
I will be heading to g-town tommorrow.  Will be the first time I have ever fished it. Been by alot but never stopped.  Will post a report when I get back.

Offline flyfish59102

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If it didn't have a mother then it wasn't a meal.
« Reply #66 on: Dec 18, 2009, 02:02 PM »
ham viper
Don't bow to outside pressure. Don't call it Comer's Point and bow to the pressure of FWP's arbitrary naming process. Call it S#@%housebay like everyone else. I don't know why FWP didn't put that name on the sign instead. Calling it Comer's Point will just confuse the locals. ;-)

flyfish59102

Offline iceotter88

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Catch and Release in bacon grease.
« Reply #67 on: Dec 19, 2009, 01:00 PM »
ham viper
Don't bow to outside pressure. Don't call it Comer's Point and bow to the pressure of FWP's arbitrary naming process. Call it S#@%housebay like everyone else. I don't know why FWP didn't put that name on the sign instead. Calling it Comer's Point will just confuse the locals. ;-)

flyfish59102
OK, Here's the deal on Comer's Point and Sh**house Bay (Two totally different sites) Comer's point wasn't named by FWP. It's been called Comer's Point for longer than the 50 years I've been up there. I believe it got it's name from the people who owned the cabins across the road from it. Comer's is the only spot on the lake that has a toilet faciltiy directly off the main road and on a shorefront. Sh**House Bay (It got it's name from when the lake was being filled and one lone outshoue was the last remaning structure to be submerged) was re-named Badger Bay sometime in the Late 80's. It was during that time when the area first began being heavily sub-divided and all of the roads named for fire protection. AND it looks bad as a mailing address. (So say the lefty's) AND don't worry about confusing the locals, most of us have a pretty good nose for BS. See ya on the Ice!

Offline RustyWaterDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Dec 19, 2009, 05:43 PM »
Was out this morning about 12-14" of ice.  Iced 18 Kokes and 1 Rainbow in 3 hours.  Also lost afew at the hole.  There were alot of people fishing.

Offline IllynPayne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Dec 20, 2009, 04:42 AM »
Was out this morning about 12-14" of ice.  Iced 18 Kokes and 1 Rainbow in 3 hours.  Also lost afew at the hole.  There were alot of people fishing.
Sounds like a decent morning, eh?  Did you notice anything by way of slush out there?  Also where were you at? I've heard of quite a few people doing good off Comer's, and a few spotty reports from Redbridge.

Offline RustyWaterDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Dec 20, 2009, 10:42 AM »
No slush on the ice.  There was a couple inches of snow on it though.  I was fishing closer to the marine than to Comer's Point.  Comer's Point had alot of shacks on it so I tried somewhere else.  Can't wait to go back New Year's weekend.

Offline mtnfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Dec 21, 2009, 08:09 AM »
Fished yesterday. Not much slush. Ice 15". Guy with a pickup on the ice. Few Rainbows and Brookies. Couple of spawners. Southside of lake. Not much else going on.

Offline flyfish59102

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Dec 21, 2009, 09:45 AM »
Went out on Sunday. The kokes aren't really schooling up yet. We got 7 kokes and around 20 trout between 6:45 and11:00.

flyfish59102

Offline TooLucky406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Dec 22, 2009, 09:05 AM »
Just wanted to stop by and add my two cents (Nebbie)!!!  Been fishing Georgetown (both ice and on the fly) for more then 10yrs now so know a little about the lake. My bubbies and I went out on Friday morning (18th) and "killed" it.  With about 100 plus kokanee and a dozen or more bows, which we release (the bows).  My buddies went back to the same area and did the same again on Saturday. Planning to go back out this Saturday, hopefully we can do the same again.  

Tip:  The Kokanee ARE schooling up (have a Cabelas Ice Viewer), but they are extremely picky in the early morning (2-6am).  They did not like the hugh flashers/Swedish Pimples.  I had to switch to a setup similar to my buddy who was killing it with a simple two glow hooks and split shot.  Fishing about 20-22ft of water also but the bite was around 16-18ft.  Let me know if any of you guys are gettin' some bite as well!!!  Late!

Offline flyfish59102

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #74 on: Dec 22, 2009, 10:22 AM »
Sounds like you were on them. I am a creature of habbit and I tend to fish the same area all season. Maybe I need to try another bay to find the school of fish. Usually I start knocking them dead around the middle of January. You were catching silvers right and not dog salmon? I used to do better when I stayed out all night, but I don't get to do that as much now that I am married. No one ever told me that it was part of the deal that she would expect you to come home from time to time.

flyfish59102

Offline mtnfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Dec 22, 2009, 10:25 AM »
Easy Solution - Take her with you ;D

Offline flyfish59102

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #76 on: Dec 22, 2009, 11:45 AM »
True, but then you have to listen to the complaining about the cold or touching the fish. All that and she is so enormously pregnant right now there might not be room for 2 and 1/2 of us in the shack. Soon I am goign to have to expand my operation to include one of the huge 8 man fishing shelters. I think they call it the basecamp.

flyfish59102.

Offline mtnfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Dec 22, 2009, 12:32 PM »
Just picked up a 6 man Eskimo Quickfish6. Nice, lots of room. Only 2 extra anchors to screw in compare to the 3 man. Easy to set up and take down.

Offline TooLucky406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Dec 22, 2009, 01:49 PM »
Keep us posted on how the Quickfish 6 performs.  A friend of mine bought one, but I advise him to return it.  I've fished Georgetown during the most extreme weather, particularly the wind.  Howling at 50+ mph. I've seen tent ripped off the screw a lesser mph wind too.  I have the the Eskimo Ice Shelter Quickflip model (built with sled and bench) and have had that flip over with all my fat drinking buddies along with coolers and two bucket of fish.  So keep us posted on how it performs.    

Offline mtnfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Dec 22, 2009, 02:04 PM »
Will do. Had it out Sunday - wind wasn't too bad - few gusts. Had it facing into the wind. Had it tied off from the front and sides. Been out there in some pretty good wind in the Quickfish3 and haven't had any problems. Just hang to it when putting it up or down.

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #80 on: Dec 22, 2009, 09:07 PM »
I have that eskimo quick flip as well and my biggest problem in the wind was at maybe 20-30 mph and no snow on the ice.  I flipped it up to get out of the wind and I might as well have just put up a sail.  Sadly I'm about 215 pounds, my two dogs combine at about sixty plus all my crap about another 40-50.  There was nothing we could do to keep the shack where I wanted it so we had to fish with the flip down anyway and just deal with the wind.  The life of an ice fisherman I guess!
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline The Fishing Sage

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #81 on: Dec 26, 2009, 10:27 PM »
Was at RedBridge today from about 8:00 to maybe noon and had one little rainbow all day between the 5 us otherwise it was pretty slow for us but the people about 50 yards from us were catching them left and right. 

Offline slyfishy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #82 on: Dec 27, 2009, 12:53 PM »
Well, how was the bite on G-town this weekend guys and gals?  Am heading up that way tomorrow.  Any spot hotter than others?  Hope you all had a great holiday and a better new year.

Offline tom1234505

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Dec 27, 2009, 04:01 PM »
went up there today with me not catching anything or my cousin but my uncle caught a nice kokanee and 2 smaller ones. people in iceshantys were catching them but no luck with me. maybe I was just using the wrong jig. oh well, so it goes. still had a good time.  :)
"to succeed you must first learn to fail"

Offline muskyhntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #84 on: Dec 27, 2009, 07:51 PM »
I was up on sat. and did very well.Caught 17 rainbows and 3 brookies,the bite was consistent all day.I have noticed that after 11:00 am you need to start moving shallower in 8-12 feet of water.Even kokes were showing up shallow,I am sure having trouble hooking the salmon this year with lots of bites but they are so light.I've tried small (size 18 hook) jigs and then they wont touch them.I was fishing the west end of the lake by badger bay.Good luck and dress real warm !

Offline slyfishy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Dec 27, 2009, 08:20 PM »
Thanks for the update guys.  Will let you know how I do when I get back.  As for warm...I am taking out the new Clam Expedition so as long as it doesn't blow away I should be OK.

Offline TooLucky406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Dec 28, 2009, 09:11 AM »
Just some updates on my weekend up Georgetown.  We went up on Saturday and Sunday....boy am I feeling the aftermath this morning...anyways, it was really slow.  In both days I combined with only 20+ Kokanee and a dozen Bows.  Really had to move around to find the fish.  All the former GPS spots had no more Kokanee.  They are really moving around...especially from my hook!!!  Fished both Comers and Piney.  There were quite of bit of people out too....if you were one of them...keep us posted on how you did.  Really looking forward to this coming weekend...this is when I really caught the Kokanee!  Good luck!!!

Offline .45-75WCF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Dec 28, 2009, 02:29 PM »
Went over on Saturday and fished Comers.  We usually go to Sunnyside and I wish we had this time.  Caught seven Koks and twenty two Rainbow between the two of us.  The Rainbow were large, with the biggest at 18", but not nearly as many.  However, it was still a great day all around, so no complaints.  Me go over again this next Saturday.

Offline slyfishy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #88 on: Dec 28, 2009, 03:00 PM »
Just back and kind of a mixed bag.  5 Kokes and 12 rainbows.  3 of the kokes were so small I tossed them back in.  Missed a lot of salmon which is my normal routine but they were definitely there in numbers today.  Saw quite a few large schools in 22 feet of water.

Offline mtnfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Dec 28, 2009, 03:05 PM »
Went Thursday and Saturday. Caught several rainbows - biggest were a 21" and 20" sent them all back down the hole. Kept the kokes. Thursday was better than Saturday. People I talked to it is slower than it had been. By 12pm it really slows down.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.