The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Georgetown Lake ice conditions?  (Read 33402 times)

Offline slyfishy

• IceShanty Rookie
Georgetown Lake ice conditions?
« on: Mar 27, 2009, 10:56 AM »
Anyone been to Georgetown this week or over last weekend (3/21-22/09) ?  How is the ice?

Offline Nerka

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Georgetown Lake ice conditions?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2009, 01:48 PM »
I talked to a guy who had been up there last weekend.  He said there's still two feet of ice in most places, but it was getting a bit soft...he said it felt like his auger would get stuck easily if he pushed too hard.  He apparently did pretty well on the fish though.  You should be fine for this weekend.  FYI: FWP closes the lake for fishing on 3/31 until the begining of general season. Good Luck

Offline slyfishy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2009, 08:56 PM »
Thanks Nerka appreciate the info.

Offline flyfish59102

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If it didn't have a mother then it wasn't a meal.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2009, 02:19 PM »
I drove by Georgetown this weekend and was iced over. There were just a few open spots way out in the middle. If it stays this cold it will only be another 2 weeks and then it will time for some serious hard water fishing. ;D

flyfish59102

Offline .45-75WCF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2009, 12:09 PM »
Keep us posted.  We're really anxious to start fishing again this winter.

Offline flyfish59102

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If it didn't have a mother then it wasn't a meal.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2009, 05:28 PM »
I like your name .45-75 WCF. I recently found a .25 35 WCF in Grandpa's barn. It took me two months to just find brass to reload it. I will keep posting emails about ice conditions. I suspect we are 2-3 weeks out for the bays, but I wouldnt' drive a truck across the lake for a while.

flyfish59102

Offline .45-75WCF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2009, 09:45 AM »
Flyfish,
Congrats on finding the .25-35.  I've collected Winchesters for 40 plus years and the model 1876 has always been one of my favorites.  The .45-75 WCF is one of four calibers this model was available in.  I guess it is probably may favorite and certainly the most fun to shoot and hunt with.  To date, I've killed five buffalo with this cartridge and all were one shot kills.  I look forward to your posts regarding the ice conditions on Georgetown and will be asking more questions about Silver Lake, if you don't mind.

Offline ah gee bobba

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2009, 03:17 PM »
If the local's don't report on the ice conditions, I use this website from the highway department to take a look.  If you select the image of the pump house you can see people fishing when the ice gets good. http://rwis.mdt.mt.gov/scanweb/SWFrame.asp?Pageid=CamSummary&Units=English&Groupid=150000&Siteid=&Senid=&Wxid=&Mapid=&DisplayClass=Java&SenType=All&HEndDate=&Zoneid=&Mode=&Sprayerid=&Dvid=&CD=3%2F10%2F2006+6%3A39%3A58+AM

Offline icecube2010

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2009, 10:11 AM »
Heading up to Georgetown with the auger today,  going to check some ice depths  will let everyone know what I find.  Hoping for a fishible amount of ice but know its a little early :tipup:

Offline icecube2010

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2009, 04:21 PM »
Went to Red Bridge boat ramp and walked about 150 yards out  got a solid 6 inches of ice.      Fish on ;D

Offline mtnfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2009, 06:36 PM »
Do you do any good? was there anybody else out fishing?

Thanks for the update.

Offline icecube2010

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2009, 07:19 PM »
There was one other guy towards the dam a few hundred yards from the boat ramp.  I didn't get a pole in the water just drilled a few holes to gauge the ice.  Goin up next Sunday ready to fish though.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2009, 03:49 PM »
There was one other guy towards the dam a few hundred yards from the boat ramp.  I didn't get a pole in the water just drilled a few holes to gauge the ice.  Goin up next Sunday ready to fish though.

LUCKY!!!

Offline .45-75WCF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 23, 2009, 06:13 PM »
If there is 6" of good ice, I may see you up there on Sunday.  Will either fish off Red Bridge or over at Sunnyside.

Offline icecube2010

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 24, 2009, 09:19 AM »
I'll be by Red Bridge in the black Ice Cube shelter,  feel free to stop over for a brat

Offline Russ-T

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 24, 2009, 04:30 PM »
This would be a 3 hour drive for me(what in Montana isn't though). Thinking about making the drive this weekend however if the ice is good. I've never been here before and am new to the ice. Any tips for this place? And yes if i go i would post a report. Also does this lake contain anything besides trout? Thanks for any info

Offline icecube2010

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 25, 2009, 11:06 AM »
Had a lot of luck last year with anything green, I was using some green eye droppers with maggots and seemed to be the color of choice.  Ive caught rainbow's which I believe it's a five daily limit,  brookies which are catch and release and kokanee salmon which there is no daily limit.  I usually jigged the green eye dropper about 3 to 6 feet off the bottom,  worked every time.   Good luck :tipup:

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 25, 2009, 04:14 PM »
Took the day off of work Tuesday and drove there.  Bunch of brookies and a rainbow.  There is a huge brookie with a Chubby Darter in it's lip.  If found please return it to me.

The next two pictures are what happens when you let someone use your auger and they hit rocks.

We found it was better to actually chop a square in the ice but not go all the way though, then take a rock and bust out the square.  Just chopping throws up too much water.

Me with a nice catch.

We stopped in Helena at Sportsman's Warehouse on the way back and the fishing report board said Georgetown had skim ice.  So don't tell anyone!

Offline waterloo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 25, 2009, 08:41 PM »
Thanks for the update and pics andercee!  After reading icecubes reports on ice thickness, I was seriously considering a trip this weekend, even though I don't fish Georgetown.  After seeing your post, I think that I am definatley heading up now.  Can't wait till my normal lakes are froze up!

bill

Offline Russ-T

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Nov 25, 2009, 08:54 PM »
That is AWSOME! I am going to try my best to be there this Sat. I've got a new 4 week old at the house but i think the wife is going to let me sneak out! If anybody's out there and spots an incompetent looking guy in a new Clam Kodiak stop by and say hi! I will be on the lookout for that brookie w/the darter in it's mouth, did you want your lure OR the fish?  ;D Thanks for the pics! It's go time!!! If i stop by sportsmans warehouse I'll be sure to tell them that the ice melted  ;) Good thing you had the hatchet! A pocket knife and fingernails would have taken a long time...

Offline icecube2010

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Nov 26, 2009, 02:29 PM »
Ya I don't think I can wait until sunday now , gonna head up tomorrow morning bright and early.  Post some pics if I catch anything worth postin. :tipup:

Offline .45-75WCF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 26, 2009, 07:31 PM »
Let us know how it goes.

Offline tom1234505

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 27, 2009, 05:38 PM »
alright, so I am moved back here from  Idaho again but this time to stay. so, I went ice fishing there today.. first part I went to it was almost open water, even close to the shore! apparently, they had a 60 degree day yesterday, according to one of the residents there. we found some water that was frozen over, walked a little ways, drilled a hole... 5" thick! yay! so we went out a bit further, no luck. even further and we nailed them... or at least I did! ;D my uncle caught 2 rainbows, my cousin caught 1, and I caught my limit, 5! the two my uncle caught were about 9-10", with mine being 16-18". my cousins was a bout 15". so, I was the first one to catch a fish, the first one to see a fish go under an ice hole, and I caught the biggest fish! a great day to say the least. a guy about the same distance from shore but quite a ways away caught alot of rainbows. we could count 12 on the ice.... over the limit but there were no fish&game wardens around. saw a few BIG cow elk and a couple bull elk, so my cousin got out and headed up. he said as soon as he got in range they ALL ran off. so overall it was a great day, no kokanees yet but they're there..

Tom
"to succeed you must first learn to fail"

Offline .45-75WCF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 27, 2009, 06:07 PM »
So, what area did you fish?

Offline icecube2010

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Nov 27, 2009, 06:31 PM »
So went to red bridge boat ramp and fished from 8 am until 12:30 did pretty good.  Caught 4 rainbows and one pretty nice kokanee (about 16 inches)  I jigged a green rapala about a foot off the top of the weeds.  All 5 fish were hitting from under,  popping out of the weeds....   was pretty cool to watch  the water is crystal clear... towards the dam anyways.  Only found one gas station between Butte and Anaconda that had maggots.  The ice at Red Bridge is about 6 inches of good ice by the shore.  I was a few hundred yards towards the parallel shoreline and the ice was about 4 inches the top inch being white ice.

Offline waterloo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 27, 2009, 07:08 PM »
Thanks for both updates.  I was curious as to how the warm weather was going to affect the ice, but with  projected temps back into the teens tonight, I think that I will head up and give it a try in the moring.  I was kind of curious about where to get some maggots myself.  I checked for maggots at my usual store in Whitehall on Wed and they didn't have any.  Which station carried the maggots if you don't mind my asking?  I was hoping to get some at Georgetown Landing if they are open this time of year.  Also, if you don't mind my asking, about what depth do you fish right now at Georgetown?  I have only fished it once about 15 years ago, and I fished the area of the pump house (I am sure that ice is TOO thin there right now).  I typically fish my normal lakes in 10-15 feet of water.

By the number of views this string has logged, I imagine that I won't be the only one up there tomorrow (lol).

bill

Offline icecube2010

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Nov 27, 2009, 08:09 PM »
Both town pumps in anaconda are out but the conoco on the edge of town towards the lake.  I was fishing at no deeper than 7 feet like I said right above the top of the weeds.  Still early enough in the season that the fish are still pretty active and feeding shallow.  Good luck :tipup:

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Nov 27, 2009, 08:16 PM »
Tip... VERY SHALLOW

Offline waterloo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Nov 27, 2009, 09:31 PM »
Thanks to you both.  Will let you know how things went tomorrow evening.

bill

Offline .45-75WCF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Nov 28, 2009, 03:47 PM »
I love these updates.  Can't wait to hear what Waterloo has to say about his day on Georgetown ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.