Author Topic: Ocean/ Mommouth County  (Read 1792 times)

Offline Tunadew

• IceShanty Rookie
Ocean/ Mommouth County
« on: Dec 11, 2005, 08:13 PM »
I was just curious where in Ocean and Mommouth counties you guys like to ice fish.  I am from Jackson originally but have been going to school in Indiana for the past 5 years.  After graduation this may I will back home with an aqquired taste for ice fishing. 

Any advise would be appreciated.

Oh by the way, we have 2.5 inches out here and the crappie are on.  I have been on the ice for a week now.....go get em boys.

Offline Reb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • PLEEAASSE FREEZE !!
Re: Ocean/ Mommouth County
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2005, 08:26 PM »
One of my favorites is prospertown lake.We also visit all the lakes in Assunpink WMA.

Offline Tunadew

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2005, 04:01 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I grew up fishing Propertown and Assunpink so when I am back home I am sure that I can get some fish out there.

What about Manasquan Reservoir?  Have you ever fished throught the ice there?  I have always done very well on crappie and some nice size gills and perch.  It seems like that would be a nice place to hit through the ice for some slab crappie. 

Also, what are some good walleye lakes up north?  I mainly fish for walleye out here in Indiana and have been fishing tournaments for them in the summer.  They are quite the challenge in lakes, but in the Tippacanoe River, jus north of me, I have got 3 over 30 inches in the past 3 years. (HOGS!) 

Offline HaveAuger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2005, 05:32 PM »
Last year never opened the squan, it never froze because of wind and sun. The year before that, 3 weeks of it. The only spot open  was at the out look, (ranger headquarters). They coned off the eastern section, to the right of the observation area, just past the docks.The day I went, the wind blew 20-40mph, as we all know, it can get CRANKING on that rez. I did not catch anything. But if it opens again, I will be there. The rangers would come and check the ice with in 5 feet of where I was fishing every hour. You could time it by your watch. the deepest point was 20 feet then right up to the bank. I'd say about 400 feet X 150 feet was coned off. Hopefully meet up with Reb and his wonderful wife this season locally.
 4 days went by and it turned 40F for 1 day. It was over. Even though it got cold again it was over. They would not let anyone back on the ice. :tipup:

Offline Tunadew

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2005, 11:52 AM »
That is unbelievable that the COs would monitor the lake and the ice like that.  I can believe it though sice those guys are a bit uptight there.  One of them screamed at me when I was like 10 years old for fishing off the dock in front of their office. 

Well thanks, I hope you get some good ice soon, I have been fishing on ice for 8 days now here in Indiana.  I found the largest bluegill I have ever seen in my life yesterday, I wish I had pictures. 
3- 10 inches (1 was 5.5in. from top to bottom)
8- 9 to 9.5inches
They were big old knot heads!

Offline lukasz

• IceShanty Rookie
  • BYOB - Bring Your Own Bait !
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2005, 09:10 PM »
 :tipup:
lukasz sienkiewicz

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com