Author Topic: Looking at new fish finder, school me  (Read 2349 times)

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
Looking at new fish finder, school me
« on: Sep 10, 2020, 02:57 PM »
I'm looking at getting a new dual purpose fish finder for my boat and possibly to use on the ice. I currently have really old units on the boat that aren't much more than speedometers. I know I've heard people talk about the Helix are there others? Would like graphing, and maybe side imaging for the boat. I use a sled so size isn't a big issue for the ice either. Any suggestions on brands or models to check out would be appreciated.

Offline MTJ

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Looking at new fish finder, school me
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 2020, 09:17 PM »
Garmin striker 4 portable kit is very good and has a low price, but no side imaging. It might not be quite what you're looking for but I really like mine.

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2020, 10:01 PM »
I'm a Lowrance guy because I'm "frugal" and my tech needs to move from hardwater to my kayak, to my buddy's pond boat, and along on vacation elsewhere.

My requirements are colored screens, GPS, mapping capability and portability. The simple benefit of marking open water waypoints that I can take along on the ice made my choice clear a long time ago.

I also don't want to get too horked off if something breaks, gets left behind or stolen.

Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2020, 07:21 AM »
My Lowrance Mark 4  does triple duty, Ice, Kayak and Boat. Although I only use the GPS on the Ice Fishing Sled(single cable), I am looking to up-grading to a larger screen and plan on using it as additional fishfinder on the ice also.

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2020, 08:12 AM »
Check out the helix you can buy it with everything you want, side imaging,down imaging, GPS, and flasher mode for icefishing.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline Pudsky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2020, 08:57 PM »
Another vote for the Helix.  I got a Helix5 last year, and really like it.  I am going to get the stuff to put a mount in my small aluminum fishing boat next year.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 12, 2020, 09:47 PM »
I have a Lowrance mark 4 right now, I've had a variety of small issues with it. Currently the depth will bounce while drifting from the actual depth(say 20ft) to 300ish ft randomly. I've never abused it the head unit gets removed and stored inside my house after every use, both transducers are scratch free, mounted safely and according to manufacturer specs. It just hasn't been a reliable unit.
I went on a friend's small bass boat with a Helix 7, he admits he has no clue how to use it but it did seem pretty nice, definitely helped find fish. I am trying to figure out which version would best fit me they have the di, si, +, chirp, mega, GPS, ice bundle, etc and I don't honestly know what I need.
Are there any other companies that have similar units I should look at before purchasing a Helix?

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #7 on: Oct 13, 2020, 03:16 AM »
Another vote for the Helix.  I got a Helix5 last year, and really like it.  I am going to get the stuff to put a mount in my small aluminum fishing boat next year.
I just bought a trolling motor mounted transducer and then just unhook the ice transducer and plug in the other one. works fine.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 13, 2020, 08:09 AM »
If you want SI you will want a 7" screen at minimum....Helix and Garmin are great options for all purpose. Get an extra gimble, power cord and an ice transducer. You can build your own shuttle, use a Genz box or any other off the shelf shuttle and mount in a bag https://www.trophyoutdoorproducts.com/ice-flasher--electronics-accessories

Catchin' Fish

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 13, 2020, 08:45 AM »
IF you intend this for four season service (open and hard water) DO pony up and get GPS integrated in whatever your choice is. I mark lots of spots when I am in my boat and once the lakes lock up I can use that same unit to walk, sled, drive right to those spots every time. Advice for a bigger screen if you want side imaging is right on along with color screen (vs monochromatic). Had Lowrance for many years and now I'm into H-Bird (pre Helix) and Garmin with 9" screens. Not quite as portable but easy to see with lots of features. Still got an old M68c for more portability on known spots.

As for flasher vs graph modes: I've had flashers (cut my teeth on 'em open water), graphs and combo units. Used the flasher modes early on but the more I used graph modes the more I liked it and now I can't remember the last time I flashed. Just me, user experience varies.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 13, 2020, 09:46 AM »
One of the main reasons I like my HB units....it is super easy to map areas with autochart, save it, share it, etc. Managing waypoints is very easy, you can import/export from the head units, share with friends, open/manage them on humminbird pc and even import into your phone with fishsmart. You can use lakemaster or chart select maps and share between all of your devices. It is even possible to view all of your waypoints or make new waypoints with google earth and use those with fishsmart or the HB units.

Catchin' Fish

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 13, 2020, 11:17 AM »
If price is no object, get a Livescope.

I use it all year, bringing it on my boat and canoe in the Ice fishing case.

Lovely technology.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 13, 2020, 05:03 PM »
X2 on getting GPS and maps. If you do, be sure to note what maps you get included, and if upgrades are included. Most manufacturers offer several models, and some include better maps and upgrades, which can cost a lot if you need to purchase separately.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 13, 2020, 05:13 PM »
Sound advice from all!

(P.S. I didn’t know you were a “flasher” esox! Lol)
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Evinrude58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 13, 2020, 05:31 PM »
Atleast he stopped. ;D ;D ;D

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #15 on: Oct 13, 2020, 06:05 PM »
Atleast he stopped. ;D ;D ;D

That... is an assumption Evinrude58  ;)2 :wacko: :blink: :roflmao:

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #16 on: Oct 13, 2020, 06:06 PM »
(P.S. I didn’t know you were a “flasher” esox! Lol)

Just dates me me skifisher... ;)

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Oct 13, 2020, 09:17 PM »
I would go Humminbird or Garmin.

But that's just me...
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 13, 2020, 11:28 PM »
I appreciate all the help so far. Definitely going to look for GPS, having my phone out to use Navotronics out is a pain and I worry about dropping it.
On the Helix 7 vs 8 vs 9 which would you prefer to run on your boat and carry on the ice?Anyone running a trolling motor that is paired with their Helix, I'm looking at the Terranova, but I'm way behind on how all these fancy gadgets work together. I really just want the spot lock, but if I could set it up to troll a certain path or contour I'd be all for that as well.
 On limited budget but I'm willing to spend alittle to have gear that will last and be versatile.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 14, 2020, 12:00 PM »
My first flasher was a Aqua-Vu VPG. It was then bought my Marcum (Showdown). My teenage son uses it and likes it a lot. Since he liked it so much he wouldn't let me use it and I had to use the Lowrance Elite-5 from my boat mounted to a PVC pole. I eventually bought the Lowrance Ice kit (Bag, Ice Transducer and Battery) for it. Works pretty good but the battery has finally died on it. But now the Elite-5 sits on a shelf since I have switched to a Garmin EchoMap 73DV I bought as an upgrade on my boat. This year I finally bought a Panoptix PS-22 transducer (The EchoMap 73DV doesn't support Panoptix LiveScope) to use for open water and ice fishing. I've played around with it a bit on the boat and now I'm ready to try it on the ice. They all work. It just depends on how much you want to spend.
jbird68

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Oct 14, 2020, 12:23 PM »
i switched from Garmin from the Helix/legacy HB's.  i recommend it to anyone.  outside of lakemaster superiority, I've been happier with everything else. 

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Oct 14, 2020, 06:09 PM »
I use HB for both open water and ice fishing. H10 gen1 SI for open water, H7 G3 GPS for ice fishing. This will be my 3rd year ice fishing and last year we had crappy ice so can't hardly count it for experience; my ratio is about 85% open water, 15% ice fishing, which I hope to change this year!

If side imaging on open water is a big part of your fishing, I would rule out the helix 7 as being too small a screen to get the most out of SI. Minimum 8", but the 9 and bigger will allow SI to really shine. Don't forget that DI and SI won't work on the ice as the vessel has to be moving for them to do their thing.  Agree completely with GPS being a must have. Mapping and map cards, best to have dual card slots if you plan to create your own maps with Autochart and/or want to have another card for other recordings, Lakemaster cards or taking screenshots. H7 has a single micro SD slot, not sure how many on the 8 but I'm pretty sure the H9 has dual card slots for standard SD cards. Micro SD's are mighty small for my fat fingers. Dual slots for multi season use would be a must have, in my experience. I think all of the Helix series now have the ice fishing mode so you can choose which style you like best while on the ice.
You may need to make sure you have a networkable model Helix to link with the trolling motor. Usually represented in the model name such as G3N, n suffix being the "network" model. I don't know the mechanics of how they actually hook up with the trolling motors.
I'm beginning to think that putting the HB 360 on the ice will be very do-able and should give good results so you may want to factor that in to your planning for the future, especially if you think you'll ever use it on the open water. This post over on the BBC boards got me to thinking about the 360:

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1085944

Maybe someday I'll think of something clever to write here...but I doubt it.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #22 on: Oct 15, 2020, 06:26 AM »
Do you have a 360 set up?  I have been wanting to do this.  Please keep us informed about your results.  In Fisherman did an article on it as well.  I can't think of a better search tool on the ice.  I will be following this.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Oct 15, 2020, 11:29 AM »
i talked with a bunch of guys who fish a few MN ice circuits, they've switched from 360 to panoptix as their primary search tool.   

that said, 360 changed the game on ice for some of the NAIFC guys.  one guy i talked to figured out a way to use side imaging but sweeping the ducer around the hole.  But 360 gave him what he was really after.   but like i said, we fished a lake that had a bunch of NAIFC guys prefishing it and they all were using panoptix. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.