Author Topic: Ice reels.  (Read 1720 times)

Offline Badcat64

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice reels.
« on: Jan 10, 2018, 10:49 PM »
What is the best reel for ice fishing. I’m currently using an Eagle Claw.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
Re: Ice reels.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2018, 06:24 AM »
Welcome to the shanty badcat64, I like the Pflueger Presidents and the 13 fishing reels that came on my combos. The deal is you have to get them on sale as they can be pretty spendy. The quality is great on both. Very dependable and great drags
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2018, 11:51 AM »
I use No8 CGI's and have on problems the are all most identical as the EG except they have a built-in fender to palm the revolving spool,and they are not ambidextrous.

Offline BFTSkunkedAgain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2018, 01:15 PM »
Depends on what your fishing for and how heavy of lure you're using... When fishing for lite weight stuff, perch, gills and crappie I love my 13 Fishing Ghost, it's a higher end reel, but really nice.  The Black Betty Freefall is the same only a little better quality materials, but the Ghost works as well, so save that extra $40...  I had problems with both of my Eagle claw in-lines and since EC hasn't helped me out on fixing them or getting parts after I've contacted them several times, I don't mind trashing on their quality a bit... Go the extra $10 and buy a 13 Fishing Decent reel, it's basically the same as the EC only it's quality built so it will last... I have one of them new this year and it's a great reel as well...  If you change to heavier lures then I don't mind the spinning reels like Matt has recommended.  I have some 13 Fishing Creed X and K reels and they are really nice, I love them, but you do get the kinks in the line that you don't from the in-lines, but they are better for fighting fish after they are hooked... I also have a Shimano don't remember the name, but it's around a $45 on sale reel and it's very nice, had a 24" carp on the other night that it worked it's magic on with a nice smooth drag when needed and the strength to muscle in a tough fighter... That reel is red and it's a good one... Also have some mitchell combo reels that are good and a Frabill combo reel that I like... The rest of the stuff I have isn't worth mentioning as good...  Lots of good stuff, but I think your biggest choice is between fish handling and line handling management... If you don't need the extra strength of drag and handling the bigger fish, I'd recommend the in-line reel, your line will be so much straighter so you'll see every tick of the fish, otherwise the fish can hit and go and you'll never see a sign... So lite lures go in line type for sure, heavier lures will help straighten the kinks in the line so you can use the spinning reels... Good luck... J

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2018, 10:02 PM »
I like the shimano sienna's in the 500 size

Offline Calestus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2018, 12:48 PM »
Another vote for the sienna 500, I use these on the rods the kids use. (And then take them off and stick them on ultralights for summer fishing)

My rods all have 2015/2016 Black Betty 6061s on them, I need to pick up a freefall to try out. Not sure I'll dig that "trigger"

Ive tried the eagle inlines and the frabill ones, did not care for them at all.

The Fiblink inlines look like they are worth a try.

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2018, 06:40 AM »
I had problems with both of my Eagle claw in-lines and since EC hasn't helped me out on fixing them or getting parts after I've contacted them several times, I don't mind trashing on their quality a bit.
Jeff, I too had problems with the first EC in-lines I bought 3 years ago.  I called and talked to EC and they told me to send them back to them with $5 and they would replace them with new ones that were an improved design over the originals that all had problems.  My new ones have been working just fine ever since.  I also bought a couple of the 13's for my trout rods and they are in fact of better quality than the ECs.  But the newer ECs are working fine for pan fish.  Your mileage may vary.   ;D
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline IceFishinTy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2018, 04:42 PM »
I decided to try the ghost and the first time out I thought it was terrible and I was considering returning it, but I am lazy and it was a long way to return it so I used it a second time and loved it. I think the difference for me was the weather, the first time was when it was really cold, everything was freezing up and it didn't work very well, the second time I went out it was a lot more mild. If you are fishing out of a popup or flipover I would recommend the ghost. I also have the newer eagle claw and I have actually been pretty impressed with them for the money, I haven't really had any problems and they seem to still work well for me even in the cold. My opinions are free and worth what you paid for them! Good luck, if you have good or bad experiences with your new purchases post it up, I really enjoy getting a lot of perspectives from this site, assuming you still get to use the reel this year :-\.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.