Author Topic: Any sneak peeks on new ice fishing gear?  (Read 19387 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Any sneak peeks on new ice fishing gear?
« on: Jul 10, 2018, 11:14 PM »
Looking for new gear releases for this winter.

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Any sneak peeks on new ice fishing gear?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10, 2018, 11:48 PM »
I'm curious as well. I'm looking for a lithium shuttle for my Helix 7 G2. I wonder if Humminbird is coming out with one this year, or if Marcum is coming out with a new improved version.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jul 11, 2018, 07:04 AM »
I'm looking for some too- I'm down to about 8-10 rods and a similar # of reels. I'm starting to panic! ;D
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Fishtrekker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jul 11, 2018, 07:46 AM »
As far as I have heard and seen, bird isnt coming out with anything new so to speak for hardwater. Marcum on the other hand......yes, new stuff coming. Vex is coming out with a glo-ring (think glow cups). Should retail for like $30-35.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jul 11, 2018, 07:57 AM »
ICAST is this week... some ice fishing items have popped up from time to time ….August is the usual time I see items start getting some write ups and retailers have "back order " items for the new season .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jul 11, 2018, 11:34 AM »
Here you go.  Only 97 clicks away from seeing all of the new ICast 2018 stuff, plus another 10 or so to click away ads.  Some cool stuff and big $$$, but nothing exclusively for ice fishing. :(

https://www.bassmaster.com/slideshow/icast-2018

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline WolfPack1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jul 11, 2018, 01:15 PM »
As far as I have heard and seen, bird isnt coming out with anything new so to speak for hardwater. Marcum on the other hand......yes, new stuff coming. Vex is coming out with a glo-ring (think glow cups). Should retail for like $30-35.

I’m curious as to what marcum has coming?

Offline cardinalsfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jul 11, 2018, 04:27 PM »
I’m curious as to what marcum has coming?

So far all I've seen on facebook is 2 new cameras.  One is 1080p with an HDMI output.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jul 11, 2018, 04:52 PM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jul 14, 2018, 08:57 PM »
I'm not too familiar with Denali Rods, but I somehow managed to stumble onto their page today as it looks like they are throwing their hat into the icerod game...
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2252762058084253&id=151947154832431&fs=5&focus_composer=0

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #10 on: Jul 16, 2018, 12:50 PM »
Anybody know if the shappell fx100i will be available this year?im going insulated flip over this season and if price is right it will be the fx100i.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jul 16, 2018, 02:12 PM »
those denali rods might be interesting - their in the walleye series. Likely graphite blanks, evolve handles, halfway decent guides. Denali is pretty well respected for a great rod at a decent price. They have denali branded ice reels as well

i too am wondering if shappells insulated flips will be available

Catchin' Fish

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jul 16, 2018, 02:14 PM »
Anybody know if the shappell fx100i will be available this year?im going insulated flip over this season and if price is right it will be the fx100i.

I was told by customer support at Eagle Claw that the Shappell FX100i would be available next season back in January, so I assume that means this coming season.  I'm guessing the msrp will be around $329.

I just put together my new EVO 1it yesterday and am not thrilled with it to say the least.  You HAVE to use the provided ice anchors with the front hub to keep it from collapsing inward towards you at the bottom and the entire seat structure/frame is made of heavy square steel tubing.  If they had used aluminum, they could've cut 10-15 lbs. of weight at least.  I may still end up with the Shappell after all.  I bought the EVO cheap enough that I can probably unload it locally and still make some cash on the deal.  It's nice and roomy inside, but I still kinda want a shelter I can just take a seat on and pull the roof over my head.  Simple & quick.  The EVO involves unpacking, pulling two hubs out and ice anchoring AT LEAST three locations on the skirt, one in the back and two in the front just to get it set up and stable.  They actually provide six ice anchors total and the skirt has six holes to accommodate them.  I'd rather be fishing than screwing around with ice anchors(pun intended).

DN

8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol

Offline SINX53

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #14 on: Jul 16, 2018, 03:33 PM »
I was told by customer support at Eagle Claw that the Shappell FX100i would be available next season back in January, so I assume that means this coming season.  I'm guessing the msrp will be around $329.

I just put together my new EVO 1it yesterday and am not thrilled with it to say the least.  You HAVE to use the provided ice anchors with the front hub to keep it from collapsing inward towards you at the bottom and the entire seat structure/frame is made of heavy square steel tubing.  If they had used aluminum, they could've cut 10-15 lbs. of weight at least.  I may still end up with the Shappell after all.  I bought the EVO cheap enough that I can probably unload it locally and still make some cash on the deal.  It's nice and roomy inside, but I still kinda want a shelter I can just take a seat on and pull the roof over my head.  Simple & quick.  The EVO involves unpacking, pulling two hubs out and ice anchoring AT LEAST three locations on the skirt, one in the back and two in the front just to get it set up and stable.  They actually provide six ice anchors total and the skirt has six holes to accommodate them.  I'd rather be fishing than screwing around with ice anchors(pun intended).

DN
yeah eskimos steel chair is ridiculously heavy..the inferno wide one shelter is heavy for its size.im no going eskimo brand.that evo looks like too much set up.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jul 16, 2018, 04:23 PM »
Thanks for the catalog link,  nothing too exciting although I like rapala/vmc colors and they came out with that hali like dropper spoon so ill have to add them to the collection

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #16 on: Jul 16, 2018, 04:43 PM »
I too am awaiting the 100i........wish they would hurry up...

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jul 16, 2018, 06:20 PM »

Kinda off topic, but in regards to Humminbird, does anyone know how often their update they map chips? I want to buy the Smart Strike MN chip, which is currently on version 3. I don't wanna spend the money and then a couple months later version 4 is released.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jul 16, 2018, 10:03 PM »
Curious how long vex is going to take to put out something other then their flasher units. At some point they're going to be left behind

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #19 on: Jul 17, 2018, 09:14 AM »
after i did my review of the shappell fx100i here i was contacted by a fellow member that is their marketing manager and he mentioned it would be available this fall and would be in their fall 2018 catalog. mine was marked 350$ but there were only 100 made at that time.
it does frost up inside as high as the tub because of the slits in the tent for it to be able to fold back, if your heating.

a dnr officer was checking it out one night and wants one bad. thinking they will get sold out fast and i wouldn't wait for a sale to pick one up or you might not have one for a while.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #20 on: Jul 17, 2018, 07:32 PM »
Looks like Shimano will be trying some spinning ice combos...Sienna 500 size reels.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jul 18, 2018, 05:46 AM »
after i did my review of the shappell fx100i here i was contacted by a fellow member that is their marketing manager and he mentioned it would be available this fall and would be in their fall 2018 catalog. mine was marked 350$ but there were only 100 made at that time.
it does frost up inside as high as the tub because of the slits in the tent for it to be able to fold back, if your heating.

a dnr officer was checking it out one night and wants one bad. thinking they will get sold out fast and i wouldn't wait for a sale to pick one up or you might not have one for a while.
I bought some heavy duty stick on velcro for my fx 200 to seal that area up better, worked out pretty well

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Jul 18, 2018, 09:09 AM »
I bought some heavy duty stick on velcro for my fx 200 to seal that area up better, worked out pretty well
interesting. do you recall brand or specs of the velcro? can you post some pics of it?
eagle claw is supposed to be making improvements to their shelters and this might be some thing they could use too.
since the old manufacturing contract is either over or nearly over, they plan to revamp their line up. they mentioned the dog legs that i asked them to try to use also. this brings and holds the fabric from the tub to the front to the ice closer and will help with side winds. it should look like like the letter J and bolt to the single hinge bolt on each side and then bolt to the side of the bottom bar and then velcro straps hold it to the dog legs.

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jul 18, 2018, 12:43 PM »
No pictures on my phone and I'm not sure what brand of velcro I got,it was in 8X10 sheets ,i stuck it on the bottom corner flap and brought that part to the side of the tub, 2X 8 strip in each corner

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Jul 18, 2018, 10:01 PM »

Pull up target walleye they were showing quite a bit of stuff from I- cast

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jul 18, 2018, 10:16 PM »
Curious how long vex is going to take to put out something other then their flasher units. At some point they're going to be left behind

What else do they need?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Jul 20, 2018, 01:30 PM »
What else do they need?
they don't need any thing.

stepping up to the digital world would be good for competitive pricing and options for end users.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jul 20, 2018, 01:53 PM »
they don't need any thing.

stepping up to the digital world would be good for competitive pricing and options for end users.

The combo units with the GPS capabilities along with the lake contour maps put out by other brands are making a pretty big step into the ice fishing world, especially with younger users.  I prefer to fish with a flasher unit and I'm definitely a Vex fan, but last year I also hauled a Garmin unit with me because of the GPS and lake map features.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jul 21, 2018, 09:39 AM »
DN, thanks for sharing!  Pretty interesting concepts on both.  I like the offset door on the Eskimo, I'm assuming you'd have to anochor the two hubs that are connected to the door piece?  That way they stay separated so that the door piece doesn't get smooshed together, if that makes sense?

And I wonder if the Clam floor attaches somehow?  Looks like Polar Bird was on to something after all...

Can't wait to hear reviews of the new gear once it gets put into action!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.