Author Topic: Pike  (Read 3414 times)

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
Pike
« on: Dec 07, 2015, 12:54 PM »
Mornin everyone.  Was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for pike action? Coming from Palmer.  Tight lines everyone and thanks for the help.

Offline legend

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Pike
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2015, 01:07 PM »
if tip ups use smelt dead on bottom. if jigging big bright and flashy works for me in wyoming.
I am haunted by waters...

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2015, 02:01 PM »
A lot of pike fishing across the little sue and big sue rivers.  Flathorn,  Alexander, figure eight and a bunch more.  Need to snow machine out.
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2015, 02:28 AM »
Copy that, thanks guys!

Offline DIRTBALL2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2015, 11:34 AM »
You know very well CharlieBrn that LOW is the only place to go if you want to catch a really BIG pike! :icefish: :whistle:DIRTBALL2 ;)2
YOU CAN'T BS AN OLD BS'ER!

Offline JediMasterSalmonSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2015, 12:30 PM »
I have seen some decent pike caught just this last week, a quick drive down the road from you at Big Lake.

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2015, 08:31 AM »
Your certainly correct on that DB2 and dandy's they are. Looking at the lake map now JediMaster and heard the ice roads are being made weekly.  Hoping for after the holiday's to get up there. 

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2015, 09:32 PM »
You know very well CharlieBrn that LOW is the only place to go if you want to catch a really BIG pike! :icefish: :whistle:DIRTBALL2 ;)2

I'm sure I won't get the answer, but what lake is LOW?  Does it stand for something.  Not familiar with that lake.

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2015, 10:15 PM »
Hey Bushwhack Jack.  It stands for "Lake Of the Woods" on the border of northern Minnesota and Canada. Huge lake with record setting pike amongst other critters. DB2 is also from Northern Minnesota and a character by trade and BS'er with the best of them.  Met him out here when I lived in Northern Wisconsin and trust me when I say, he knows more secrets than he's willing to share and probably forget twice as many. 
Being a Taxidermist from way back, the largest pike I ever mounted for a client was 46" and came out of LOW. An amazing fishery for sure.

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2015, 11:18 PM »
Hey Bushwhack Jack.  It stands for "Lake Of the Woods" on the border of northern Minnesota and Canada. Huge lake with record setting pike amongst other critters. DB2 is also from Northern Minnesota and a character by trade and BS'er with the best of them.  Met him out here when I lived in Northern Wisconsin and trust me when I say, he knows more secrets than he's willing to share and probably forget twice as many. 
Being a Taxidermist from way back, the largest pike I ever mounted for a client was 46" and came out of LOW. An amazing fishery for sure.

Oh, okay.  Thanks for the reply CharlieBrn.  That was actually the first thing that came to mind.  I have heard of Lake of the Woods, but I thought he was referring to an Alaskan lake.  That is why I was confused.  Don't mind me.  Sorry about the confusion.  Thanks for clearing that up.

Offline DIRTBALL2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 25, 2015, 10:48 AM »

Flattery will get you anywhere with me CB! You were only saying those nice things about me because they were true! Right CB? Of course, right! :roflmao: ;)2 DIRTBALL2 ;D

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 25, 2015, 11:26 AM »
Why of course DB2.  Have ever known me to tell a lie?  I mean two consecutively!!  ;D  Hope your having a great Christmas.  Have friends coming over for breakfast and bloody Mary's then hitting the ice.  Then probably more BM's to follow. ::)

Offline DIRTBALL2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 26, 2015, 07:21 AM »
Why of course DB2.  Have ever known me to tell a lie?  I mean two consecutively!!  ;D  Hope your having a great Christmas.  Have friends coming over for breakfast and bloody Mary's then hitting the ice.  Then probably more BM's to follow. ::)

I am indeed having a great Christmas CB! Visiting my daughter in Wayzata by beautiful Lake Minnetonka! Sounds to me like you are still practicing too much abuse of the use of the juice from the grape CB! You probably should put on your PFD before you try ice fishing. We can't have you falling in the lake and polluting the water, eh? :roflmao: :icefish: DIRTBALL2 ;)2

Offline colburn51090

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2016, 01:44 PM »
Head out to nancy lake or figure 8 lake
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2016, 09:34 PM »
Thanks for the info colburn.  Have cut way back DB2, you'd be proud of me in fact.  Can't do that like I use to which is always a good thing.  But, I'm as good once as I ever was. :)

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2016, 10:17 PM »
Northland Airplane Jig tipped with 1/2 a cisco or herring work wonders when jigging pike.
I usually have a static line or tip up out with a quick strike rig and herring down about 40'-50' from where I set my hut up as well.
Sometimes one will work much better than the other.
I usually have my best luck with the jig though.
A flasher is a must to turn the lookers into biters.
Without it you won't even know they are around.
Favorite depth to set up is 10'-15'.
Set line is set 2' off bottom.

Offline gorf37

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 12, 2016, 01:48 PM »
Haha, funny story that brings-up drifter!

Last winter I put a NL airplane jig on a set-line rod with a bell.  The bell rang, and it was obviously a big fish - I start sprinting from about 150ft.  Just as I got to the hole the rod tip did a big bend-bend-Gorf dives-snap!- the bell flies up in the air and lands on my head, I'm clutching the rod, but the pike is gone. 

Of course losing a hook in a big female pike is pretty uncool, but you can imagine my buddies were howling.  They've brought it up every time I tie-on a NL airplane this year.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Feb 12, 2016, 03:37 PM »
Haha, funny story that brings-up drifter!

Last winter I put a NL airplane jig on a set-line rod with a bell.  The bell rang, and it was obviously a big fish - I start sprinting from about 150ft.  Just as I got to the hole the rod tip did a big bend-bend-Gorf dives-snap!- the bell flies up in the air and lands on my head, I'm clutching the rod, but the pike is gone. 

Of course losing a hook in a big female pike is pretty uncool, but you can imagine my buddies were howling.  They've brought it up every time I tie-on a NL airplane this year.

:roflmao: :clap: :thumbsup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.