Author Topic: best light,waterproof and warm boots to replace my favorite mickeys.  (Read 8756 times)

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
ok.. my arthritic body, mainly my hips do not like walking in my mickey boots anymore.ive never worn anything but mickeys because my feet  are never cold in them.awesome boots and have been loyal to them for over 20 years but the weight of them is killing me as I get older.im looking for totally waterproof,warm and light weight.and not crack in the cold.ive tried lacrosse ice kings and they cracked.thinking something like muck arctic pros.and I could of used the search function because this topic has been beat but its going to be hard to trust another boot when the mickey/bunny boots are the best imo.and I don't want any boots with leather uppers either.all rubber or neoprene/rubber boots.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
I've been happy with my Lacrosse Alphaburly Pros 1600g. My feet get cold pretty easily and I've had no issues with that since getting them. Though it has only been 2 winters with them and both winters were pretty mild. Only complaint is they are sometimes hard to get off but they also make a version with a zipper on the side to make this easier. My feet also tend to sweat if I'm in a shanty with them on but I think I'm going to get some alpaca insoles and better socks to help with this. I use them hunting as well and since we hunt in a swamp I used to have to wear a pair of rubber boots and switch them out when I got to the stand but no need for that with these, completely water proof.
Da Pack!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
I have the Muck Artic sports ...I love the light weight and warmth ...I suggest going a full boot size up ..wiggle room and room for sock variations . I like that they slip on off no laces to fuss with or freeze up. I spray my feet with antiperspirant seems to help a lot . Of course the proper sock combination is important as well . Kahtoola micro spikes are an added bonus as they flex and save my back as a opposed to Stabilizers that I had worn for years.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
I'm happy with muck artic pro's , they are easy to walk in and they are light. Mine are 5 years old still working fine.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'm a Lacrosse guy. Mine aren't insulated, but I stay dry and warm with a pair of 78% merino wool socks

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
well I went with muck arctic pros..i will keep my mickeys tho.now I'm wondering if my kathoola micro spikes  are going to fit on size 14 mucks.they fit my 13 mickeys but..

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Just got some Baffin titans, super light, can’t wait to try them. Says good to -148 don’t think I will need that feature

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Just got some Baffin titans, super light, can’t wait to try them. Says good to -148 don’t think I will need that feature
.  Wow -148°  hope you don't need that also. Wonder how they did the test?

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
.  Wow -148°  hope you don't need that also. Wonder how they did the test?
.     Always wondered that also, some were rated colder than that !!

Offline youngster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • EAT OR BE EATEN
I agree with diehard the muck boots are awesome but like him you gotta get larger than needed. they didn't have the size I wanted so I ended up with 2 sizes larger.  lol   my foot goes in easy with no hassle and super warm. the larger size really made the difference.
youngster

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
I agree with diehard the muck boots are awesome but like him you gotta get larger than needed. they didn't have the size I wanted so I ended up with 2 sizes larger.  lol   my foot goes in easy with no hassle and super warm. the larger size really made the difference.
yeah I wear size 13 so I went with size 14 so I can have some room for different sock combinations and I like my boots to have a little wiggle room.tight boots seem to get colder faster imo.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
dang -148 that's fricken cold..surprised a boot cant stand that degree of cold without cracking..lol

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
. A question, did you go with the industrial titan model, or just with the regular titan model?

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
What is difference? Guess I don’t know

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
, both rated to -148, I think the industrial is 15" high, regular is  12" high. price was quite a bit higher on the industrial ones on Amazon.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
I picked up a pair of Baffin Shackletons last week.  Couldn't pass them up, even though Korkers TundraJacks are my main ice boots because of the built in ice studs.  Bought them for $90.85 on Amazon, then Amazon tossed in a 15% off coupon at checkout.  Total $77.22. ;D  I got them a full size larger (10s) than my regular shoes and they are still so stinking tight I'm afraid I'm going to cut off my circulation.  If anyone has any home brewed suggestions to loosening them up, I'd appreciate it.  All I got from Baffin customer service was to "walk in them for a while, they should loosen up."   I've tried that...and now I've got them packed tight with crumpled up paper balls.  The liners in these things must be 3/4" thick and stiff!

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
I picked up a pair of Baffin Shackletons last week.  Couldn't pass them up, even though Korkers TundraJacks are my main ice boots because of the built in ice studs.  Bought them for $90.85 on Amazon, then Amazon tossed in a 15% off coupon at checkout.  Total $77.22. ;D  I got them a full size larger (10s) than my regular shoes and they are still so stinking tight I'm afraid I'm going to cut off my circulation.  If anyone has any home brewed suggestions to loosening them up, I'd appreciate it.  All I got from Baffin customer service was to "walk in them for a while, they should loosen up."   I've tried that...and now I've got them packed tight with crumpled up paper balls.  The lines in these things must be 3/4" thick and stiff!

DN

Take the liners out wear a heavy duty sock and walk around with the liners for a while ...worked for my Cross fires .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Take the liners out wear a heavy duty sock and walk around with the liners for a while ...worked for my Cross fires .

Thanks hd.  I'll give it a try.  A $40 boot stretcher was my next option to try, but even that wouldn't loosen around the ankle and lower calf... 
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline dsupercat

• Team IceShanty Regular
Baffin boots!! I use the evolution boot for ice fishing.  I was always a lacrosse person don't get me wrong they make great boots.  A friend turned me on to the Baffin products about 10 years ago now my whole family wears them for all types of winter sports, by far the most comfortable boot I have every had and very light. obviously we use different boots for different sports.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Thanks hd.  I'll give it a try.  A $40 boot stretcher was my next option to try, but even that wouldn't loosen around the ankle and lower calf...

Thought I saw some where using your freezer to stretch shoes out ...via water packs or bottles ...the expanding water to ice theory ...may work around your ankle/calf dilemma...

Offline Steve Sr

• IceShanty Rookie
, both rated to -148, I think the industrial is 15" high, regular is  12" high. price was quite a bit higher on the industrial ones on Amazon.

You might wish to call Baffin.  I've no idea on the height but I was told the "industrial" models have steel toes and/or steel shanks.

I too wish to replace my mickey mouse boots, for the same reason as the OP.  I dont have access to ice transportation other than my own two feet and as the years (and worn out joints) piled up it's become more of a task to drag  what I used to drag out there......especially in my mickey mouse boots, but warmth was never an issue.

Baffin has suggested I go with the Titan (regular version) probably a lot because I put a dollar limit on what I'd willingly spend.  I flinched pretty hard buying my Striker ice jacket and have the bibs yet to go.

Pretty awesome stuff out there but it's hard for us "old timer's" to compare it all to our 20 dollar Mickey Mouse boots and "free" Army parka of years long gone.   ;D  They still work, in spades, but carrying it all on one's body does  have adverse affects.  If not for all the thin ice fishing I do......I'd have taken all the money and just bought a used 3-4 wheeler.   :) and then I'd have spent MORE money on some huge shelter though.

I am, however, not yet getting a reply on the ACTUAL weight on the Titan boots.  The bulk don't bother me. I'm used to that with my ol' Mickey Mouse boots.

No decision yet..........and I better get the lead out and do so. 
Thanks to all for all the info and to the OP for posting this.........so I didn't have to.

God Bless

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
Warmest boots I have ever had are the Cabela's trans Alaskan . Hands down !!! Light but big and bulky .

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
and I don't want any boots with leather uppers either.all rubber or neoprene/rubber boots.

That kills all of my recommendations and many of those already offered!  I hope you find something that works for you.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
You might wish to call Baffin.  I've no idea on the height but I was told the "industrial" models have steel toes and/or steel shanks.

I too wish to replace my mickey mouse boots, for the same reason as the OP.  I dont have access to ice transportation other than my own two feet and as the years (and worn out joints) piled up it's become more of a task to drag  what I used to drag out there......especially in my mickey mouse boots, but warmth was never an issue.

Baffin has suggested I go with the Titan (regular version) probably a lot because I put a dollar limit on what I'd willingly spend.  I flinched pretty hard buying my Striker ice jacket and have the bibs yet to go.

Pretty awesome stuff out there but it's hard for us "old timer's" to compare it all to our 20 dollar Mickey Mouse boots and "free" Army parka of years long gone.   ;D  They still work, in spades, but carrying it all on one's body does  have adverse affects.  If not for all the thin ice fishing I do......I'd have taken all the money and just bought a used 3-4 wheeler.   :) and then I'd have spent MORE money on some huge shelter though.

I am, however, not yet getting a reply on the ACTUAL weight on the Titan boots.  The bulk don't bother me. I'm used to that with my ol' Mickey Mouse boots.

No decision yet..........and I better get the lead out and do so. 
Thanks to all for all the info and to the OP for posting this.........so I didn't have to.

God Bless
.             I didn’t weigh my new boots but have had the white mickeys before , and I guarantee it’s less than half easily

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
That kills all of my recommendations and many of those already offered!  I hope you find something that works for you.
yeah in Michigan I'm almost always in a ton of slush or standing water..or have over a foot  of snow a lot..i have never had good luck with leather boots staying dry in conditions like that.i went with muck arctic pros.rated for -60 and completely waterproof and lighter than my mickeys.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Muck Arctic Pro’s for me. I wear a 14 shoe and got a 14 Muck. I wear a thermal ultra light liner and a heavy Marino wool sock (85% wool or better). The fit is perfect for me and they aren’t heavy IMO. I suggest trying any footwear on before you buy them. What works for some doesn’t work for others.

Another thing to consider is how your boots will impede you’re driving ability if you plan on driving with them on. I know it might not be an issue for some but a big clunky pair of boots can reek havoc on my accelerator. My Arctic Pro’s don’t do that. For being a size 14 boot they are pretty low profile and light weight. I drive a 2006 HHR, I’m 6’ tall and about 230#’s. Space is pretty limited as it is and I have no problem driving in those boots.

I also wore them in a river once and fished for steealhead for about 4-5 hours and my feet stayed dry and warm the entire time. Hole slush is a non-issue.

“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
Does it take long to get the feel of a rubber boot. I have always worn a pack boot like Sorel. My right foot gets cold as that is the foot that is by the edge of flip over. I am looking also no dealers in area for Baffin so thinking the Mucks based on reviews.

How do you like the feel of your ice pants over the rubber boot, I assume you need a sock up to your knee

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Does it take long to get the feel of a rubber boot. I have always worn a pack boot like Sorel. My right foot gets cold as that is the foot that is by the edge of flip over. I am looking also no dealers in area for Baffin so thinking the Mucks based on reviews.

How do you like the feel of your ice pants over the rubber boot, I assume you need a sock up to your knee

I would order a size larger ...better sock options ...you will love the on/off and no tying of laces ...regular boot sock works fine .I really haven't noticed any real difference between a pac boot or Mucks under your bibs ...nice to walk through slush and snow w/o getting wet in the least.

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
ok thanks for info, I just called Scheels and they do not sell Mucks. But they do sell Lacrosse and he stated they are basically the same. I am going to check them out.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
ok thanks for info, I just called Scheels and they do not sell Mucks. But they do sell Lacrosse and he stated they are basically the same. I am going to check them out.

I know when I bought my Lacrosse mud lite at a local retailer ...the size 10..my normal footwear size.. were extremely uncomfortable (believe they are narrower then most slip on) so went with size 11 ...never bought a boot in size 11..now when I bought my Mucks on line I didn't have a chance to try them on so ordered a size 10 based on my research/reviews...they fit.. but after my season was done and various sock options through the temperature changes  I should of went with a size 11...good luck with your purchase.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.