The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: buddy heater vs humidity  (Read 2261 times)

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wish i was a fishing(Too slim n the traildragers)
buddy heater vs humidity
« on: Feb 18, 2018, 08:09 AM »
was fishing yesterday with a group of friends and we started having problems with the heaters not just one all four.   they ran good at first then a good hour into day they quite the flame was long and would not stay lit. I think that the humidity in the tent had something to do with it. when I got home it fired right up. I now the pilot hole is not dirty just cleaned it other day.  has any one had this problem before?
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"
"There will always be a Little".

Offline njoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: buddy heater vs humidity
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2018, 11:10 AM »
oxygen level getting low? Would a match or liter stay lit? Had that problem once, opened vent and all went well. We were lucky!!! :o

Offline clmiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2018, 11:24 AM »
x2

Offline gramps2321

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2018, 12:44 PM »
Were your bottles freezing up?

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2018, 01:23 PM »
Everyone in one tent?

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2018, 01:50 PM »
two groups in two tents four heaters and they all did same thing work for a few then go out like the wind blew them out. doors and vents open do to dogs going and coming. we also tried to lit with lighter no luck new one for me. lots of moisture in air that's why I'm leaning toward humidity. we have fished in way colder temps no way bottles froze up.
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"

Offline clmiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2018, 02:18 PM »
Had a similar situation happen to us, me and a buddy in a Pop-Up and a Big Buddy Heater. The big buddy went out and was unable to light the heater, cig lighter would not work, put the lighter outside and it worked fine. Must of been low oxygen level, we did not feel the effects of low oxygen.

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2018, 02:25 PM »
as windy as it was and with dogs going in out of house I don't think oxygen was are problem. if so first for me.
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"

Offline Tacojuan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2018, 10:11 PM »
Do yourself a favor and ditch the buddy heater and get a top tank mr. heater. It also wouldn’t hurt to open your vents so there’s enough oxygen to maintain a burn. I used to have a buddy heater and they’re garbage, I seriously recommend a top tank single or double burner.

Offline smorfonzo76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2018, 10:26 PM »
Got your answer here G Fish
My buddy and I experienced the same issues with our buddy heaters and with extensive research and trial and error we realized its NOT a lack of oxygen but mere propane tanks freezing up.  If its fairly cold out those little green tanks are useless they only last an hour or so until they start freezing.  We slept on the ice at fort peck with 2 buddy heaters in roughly -15 degree weather and had to face each heater at itself just to keep them going.  We've had this problem even in about 30 degrees.  On a positive note we solved this problem by buying the hose adapter for the larger white tanks of any size.  We haven't had any issues with the buddy heaters since ditching the little tanks.  Hope this helps...and its definitely not a lack of oxygen because when we were experiencing the problems with them I always carry a carbon monoxide detector and it never even peeped once at us.

was fishing yesterday with a group of friends and we started having problems with the heaters not just one all four.   they ran good at first then a good hour into day they quite the flame was long and would not stay lit. I think that the humidity in the tent had something to do with it. when I got home it fired right up. I now the pilot hole is not dirty just cleaned it other day.  has any one had this problem before?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.