The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Tips for slow bite  (Read 662 times)

Offline Lsranger406

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tips for slow bite
« on: Feb 16, 2018, 04:14 PM »
So ove got this pond I e been going to and not doing to bad at but not super good either. I've fished this pond multiple times and drilled lots of holes. Catching trout at the rate of maybe 2 to 3 a day and that's 10 hours on the ice. Water depth ranges from 0 to 8 feet of water throughout the entire pond. I've seen LOTS of fish but can't figure out the bite. The pond is full of fresh water shrimp. As in so many shrimp that when you drill a hole the ice around it is crawling with shrimp. And not just a few holes but damn near every hole has shrimp. What is all of the shantys ideas on how to catch more fish from the pond? Bait, tackles you would try? Maybe its just cause there is to much food in the pond for them. I don't know. I'm lost and looking for some advice. Everything I've caught so far has been decent size between 12 and 15 inch. Like I said through the hole I've seen large schools of maybe 30 to 5p fish swim by so I know they are in there. Any advice would be much appreciated
America is all about speed hot,nasty,bad a** speed

Offline Griztrax

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tips for slow bite
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2018, 05:08 PM »
You didn't really say what you have been using for presentation but if you haven't tried it yet, go raid your fly fishing gear and try a small scud pattern or maybe even a small bead-head nymph.  It might seem silly but if you can somewhat imitate the "shrimp" you are seeing then maybe the fish will bite.  We've caught a lot of fish on flies through the ice in the past so might be worth a shot.  Good luck!

Offline 207 in the 406

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Tips for slow bite
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2018, 08:31 PM »
Have you tried the shrimp from the holes, throw a few on a jig, see what happens? That would be my first try.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.