Author Topic: A few Trout from the flatlands, Charles Co.  (Read 2093 times)

Offline Floater

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Keep your pole off the ice
A few Trout from the flatlands, Charles Co.
« on: Jan 29, 2005, 07:15 PM »
We hit Myrtle Grove this morning with our neighbor Charlie for some ice fishing and fox hunting. It was a sunny 12 degrees when we made to the ice and began drilling holes and setting out tip-ups and dead sticks. Once the work was done, the boys set up a predator cassette at the base of a ravine and climbed back near the top and blended in with the shrubs. Well the dying crow shreiks didn't bring in any foxes, but three Bald Eagles came in and did some aerial acrobatics overhead. Probably the high angle of the sun by this time had the foxes laying low.

Since we followed Mr. Freeze's advice and set most of our baits in shallow water for the Trout, we weren't disapointed.

Managed three Rainbows in about three hours and might have done better if I had brought more than five tip-ups. But I wasn't expecting as much good ice, in fact I was figuring on having at least some open water to deal with. Solidly surprised. Next time, more tip-ups and a full day out. If you made it out on the ice I hope that you did well.

Bob

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
Re: A few Trout from the flatlands, Charles Co.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2005, 07:40 AM »
Those bows have nice colors in them, ever try to jig fish for them? Ive heard Charles Co has a good Red Fox population. Ive tried to call in fox in Garrett Co, where I live ,always end up calling in other game instead. I recall going to Dorchester Co, on Sika Deer hunt a few years back, that area is crawling with fox, and surprisngly alot of Turkey- some nice gobblers there.

Offline TommyRobinson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2005, 05:29 PM »
 Nice report Bob. Looks like the boy grew a foot since last year :). Hope ya can come up to BG again this season.
It's time to go and I can't turn the ignition!

Proud 2 Be A Carp Fisherman!!!
www.carpanglersgroup.c om

Offline Floater

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Keep your pole off the ice
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2005, 06:34 PM »
FDC,

Since your photography is always great, I'm hoping that you manage to get the video camera that you need someday soon. I'd guess Charles Co. must have a sizable population of Reds, its season is much longer than the other nearby counties. We're staying til dark next time. We wanted to try fro a Sika this Fall, but the delays that the work on the Bay Bridge was causing changed my mind. Thanks for weighing in.

Tommy,

He's going to be a big guy, that why I'm getting my disciplinin' in now while I can still take him. :^) Is your kid ready for the ice yet? We were thinking about hitting Belle Grove today, but read where there had been a big acid spill into the Patapsco there. Guess it didn't effect the ponds. Glad to hear from you.

Bob

Offline virgilpoe

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2005, 05:46 AM »
FDC,

Since your photography is always great, I'm hoping that you manage to get the video camera that you need someday soon. I'd guess Charles Co. must have a sizable population of Reds, its season is much longer than the other nearby counties. We're staying til dark next time. We wanted to try fro a Sika this Fall, but the delays that the work on the Bay Bridge was causing changed my mind. Thanks for weighing in.

Tommy,

He's going to be a big guy, that why I'm getting my disciplinin' in now while I can still take him. :^) Is your kid ready for the ice yet? We were thinking about hitting Belle Grove today, but read where there had been a big acid spill into the Patapsco there. Guess it didn't effect the ponds. Glad to hear from you.

Bob

Good going there Bob. ;) I know the boys had a great time, and I'll bet them puppies tasted good too. Let's go hit one somewhere. :)

Virgil

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.