Author Topic: fish recipe  (Read 3046 times)

Offline johnsaredneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
fish recipe
« on: Feb 05, 2009, 07:01 PM »
Does anyone have any fish recipes they would like to share?    Here's one of mine:  I take saltine crackers and crush them into powder with a rolling pin. Add garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Beat an egg. Dip fillets into egg then into breading. Fry in olive oil and butter mixture on low heat. This is great! Sometime I also add old bay but delete the salt. This works well with trout and perch. I like eating it with macaroni and cheese with fresh jalapeno peppers chopped up in it.                                                                                                                 

I was told this one by a fellow fisherman in upstate New York; He cut his fillets into strips and boiled them in salt water and dipped them into shrimp cocktale sauce. He called it poor mans shrimp cocktale. I never tried this.                                                                         

Here's one for fish cakes;  I take whole trout, put them into cold salt water.  Put on stove, when the water comes to boil the fish is done. The skin will peel off. Flake the meat off the bones. Mix with crushed crackers garlic powder(fresh garlic is best) black pepper,old bay, egg,mayonnaise,and a splash of Worcestershire sauce. Don't use more than a splash. Make into patties and fry. Chopped fresh jalapenos taste good in these fish cakes also.

I don't have any measurements for any ingredients, I just guess at it.                                                                                                                         
Ice fishing is no catch and release sport.

Offline BoydChurch

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Deep Creek Ice 12/27/2008
Re: fish recipe
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2009, 01:39 PM »
Thanks for the recipe, I don't usually like the taste of fish ??? but your descriptions are makin me kinda hungry.
Boyd
It's all a part o' fishin', son

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2009, 01:39 PM »
Thanks for the recipe, I don't usually like the taste of fish ??? but your descriptions are makin me kinda hungry.
Boyd

i hate the taste of fish also, but whats real good is coat your fish in whatever your favorite kind of prepared mustard is and then coat in bread crumbs and fry.
james

Offline CBOYCE1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 25" walleye on 2lb test with a 3mm jig STUD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2009, 07:21 AM »
A couple simple beer batter recipes.

1 cup Bisquick
1 egg
1 can of beer
salt & pepper
Little old bay if you like it
Any other seasoning can be substituted or added

I don't have measurements for this one but all I do is season the batter till I think it is strong enough, never put to much seasoning, and then add beer until the batter is smooth and maybe a little on the watery side.  You will have to experiment with this one but it is very simple.

All you need is

Flour
Beer
Lemon Pepper
Old Bay

Mix dry ingredients together and dip fish through dry batter first, this gives the wet batter a place to stick, next mix your beer into the dry ingredients.  Run the fish back through the wet batter as needed to put in your deep fryer.

Take out the lemon pepper and old bay replace with salt and pepper follow the same instructions but substitute the fish with dill pickle spears and you have yourself a pretty good fried pickle recipe.
If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.

Offline Mississippi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2009, 12:22 AM »
Soak the fillets in milk for an hour or two and then deep fry with Jiffys Sweet Corn Muffin Mix........ oh so good. 
Anybody Seen Any Catfish??

Offline johnsaredneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2009, 09:57 PM »
Soak the fillets in milk for an hour or two and then deep fry with Jiffys Sweet Corn Muffin Mix........ oh so good. 
Do you bread in the mix, or mix the mix as for muffins?   I soak my catfish filets in milk over night then fry in corn meal peanut oil is best for catfish. Soaking in milk takes the fishy taste out.
Ice fishing is no catch and release sport.

Offline Mississippi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 20, 2009, 06:43 PM »
ummm I am getting hungry!  I make the batter for corn muffin, love it for crappie....... gives it a sorta of sweet taste.  Dang, I am hungry!
Anybody Seen Any Catfish??

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #7 on: Jul 20, 2009, 09:04 AM »
If I told ya, I'd have to kill ya!

Oh, OK...

I've used the Italian bread crumbs with some extra garlic, and that works out pretty well for me.  Iceshanty's recipe is awesome!  If he didn't live so far from me I'd be hitting him up for dinner once a week during ice season!
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.