Author Topic: Older jiffy  (Read 1117 times)

Offline Steadyj_17

• IceShanty Rookie
Older jiffy
« on: Feb 12, 2019, 09:54 AM »
Hey guys I'm at the point where I have thrown 2 carb kits at my older jiffy 3hp auger. An I finally made the decision order a carb from amazon. Has anyone done this before?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Older jiffy
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2019, 09:58 AM »
Hey guys I'm at the point where I have thrown 2 carb kits at my older jiffy 3hp auger. An I finally made the decision order a carb from amazon. Has anyone done this before?
if you skimped and got a 10 dollar china carb they are hard to tune and get the auger running right.id go thru the old carb again.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2019, 05:36 PM »

Ok here's a real good tip.  When taking a rocket (or ice auger carb) apart, lay the parts down from left to right as they come off.  Pay real close attention to which way the diaphram comes off, one side has(or may have) a larger rosette, the other side will have a small washer both held together with something like a pop rivet.  Now here's the important part, some models have to have the little tit of the pop rivet pointing up, other models down.  If it's not in the right direction, it won't push on the needle valve lever.  Then it runs like crap.  You can check which model carb you have, there's a letter stamped on the flange.   Parts go back together in reverse order because you laid them out in a line of order.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2019, 02:20 PM »
I'm going through the same on a 30 I have. Replaced diaphragms several times, changed the welch plugs, head gasket, even swapped carbs with a model J-A I have. Runs the same every time, runs at high idle and when I turn it down it sputters out. Tried adjusting jets throughout and nothing. My next best guess is coil/magneto but I don't have the tool to remove flywheel. Rings seem fine. I'd be curious about the carb you ordered. Chime in if it is of good quality and solves your problem.
It must be something in the water.

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2019, 07:16 AM »
Check the exhaust ports , see if they are built up with carbon.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline Lsranger406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2019, 11:58 AM »
Make sure all the air holes that go from carb to engine are clear. Also there is typicaly a fenolic spacer or plastic spacer between the carb amd the engine. If that spacer is upside down it won't run. The air hole in the gaskets has to flow or carb will not function as designed. Hard to explain. There is a hole on bottom of carb through the spacer to the block. All holes MUST line up. Also fine tuning carbs is tricky. Very slight adjustments. Dont go turning it a 1/4 turn and think your machine is going to run better. Gotta make adjustment 1/16 to 1\32 at a time. Start with main fuel jet. Once that just is tuned and the engine revs up then You can start with low speed adjustment. Most meedle settings are 1 1/2 to 1 3\4 turn out on high needle and 3/4 to 1 turn out on low needle. I've built custom hi end big power 2 stroke rc car engines for 20 years and can usuallu get any old 2 stroke running. Pm me if you need help.
America is all about speed hot,nasty,bad a** speed

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2019, 12:19 PM »
Does it idle high then trying to idle it down stalls out and really no idle adjustment?id be checking for air leaks like crankshaft seal.or you saying it runs good at high idle  only?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.