Author Topic: Frabill Trekker II vs. Shappell Rover 2.0 DX  (Read 6513 times)

Offline dfish17

• IceShanty Rookie
Frabill Trekker II vs. Shappell Rover 2.0 DX
« on: Dec 29, 2009, 10:11 AM »
I am looking to purchase a new flip over style shanty and I am considering either the Frabill Trekker II or the Shappell Rover 2.0 DX.  I am looking for some feedback on these or if someone has another brand they like a lot.  Thank you.

Offline chfishon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over i will ice fish there to...
Re: Frabill Trekker II vs. Shappell Rover 2.0 DX
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2009, 10:24 AM »
i have a sheppell rover 1.0 and a frabill ranger solo and always use my sheppell all you have to do is flip it and your done no poles to extend but the frabil has a better seat and cup holders and a lot more room but the sled is a lot more bulkey and harder to pull
i am always on the move and i rigged a flip up boat seat on the wood bench it came with and the sheppell has a lot better lock on the wind break possition but all in all they are both good shantys
FISH ON

Offline dfish17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2009, 01:28 PM »
Thank you chfishon, I think I am leaning toward the Frabill.  Best of luck

Offline Fishnhard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2009, 01:33 PM »
D, I dont know about the other but i have the trekker II and i love it, lots of room in a flip up style, it also heats up like a dream and i dont think it really pulls that bad. This is only my opinion for what its worth

Offline dfish17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2009, 01:35 PM »
Thank you, Cabelas has them for $299.00.  I'm heading down Thursday>

Offline Fishnhard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2009, 01:40 PM »
your welcome, you wont be disappointed at all, I'm sure, and they are fun to put together.....LMAO

Offline floppycrappie128

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2009, 01:45 PM »
D, i also have the trekker II and love everybit of it. it has plenty of room for my buddy and I who have more then an abundant amount of gear for two guys haha. should work great for you. Best of luck ! oh, and they really are a bundle of joy to put together..i suggest a warm spot to do it..LMAO
There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process.  ~Paul O'Neil, 1965

Offline Fishnhard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2009, 01:50 PM »
Well worth it once they are together though Floppy, just plan on a couple hours of quiet time is all, but once on the ice your all set up in less than a minute, just the same have fun, lol

Offline wally-eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2009, 02:59 PM »
Another Frabill Trekker II owner..... I also have the full cover and tow hitch for mine....works great and I leave the second seat out when fishing alone.....tons of room....   I put mine together in the dining room last winter......I even surprised myself with some new words.....$%^**#$%^$#...lmao....

Offline floppycrappie128

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2009, 10:05 PM »
From the sounds of other Trekker II owners like me, it is sort of a pain putting it together like i said earlier..but dont let that discourage you.. it is a very nice shack and a breeze to set up once on the ice, trust me you will not be dissapointed with it and all of those lovely memories of putting it together will be put in the past once you start catching fish. THe full cover as wally said works great.. i recommend that as well.
There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process.  ~Paul O'Neil, 1965

Offline flagguy83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "LETS GO ICE FISHING"
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2009, 10:11 PM »
Just another option, Clam has the new 2 man on sale at gander for 299.99. It real nice and lighter that the frabill. Just sayin. Either way congrats on the new shanty. hope you put it to good use.

Offline dfish17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2009, 08:31 AM »
I have $250.00 in Cabelas cards to burn.  I've heard that they are fun to put together and I might add a few words to my vocabulary, but I'm a golfer too and used to self punishment.  I look forward to getting it tomorrow along with the cover and hyfax kit because I heard that the sled will wear quickly without them.  Houghton Lake has 8" of ice and there are walleye to be caught.

Offline diddlepole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2009, 08:38 AM »
I love putting these together.  No joke! 

Offline khaaxma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2009, 08:45 AM »
I have the Shappell Rover 2.0 DX and I have enjoyed it for several years. I purchased my unit for the room inside and I really like the design except for the seat. If I needed to replace my current unit I would most likely purchase another one. It is very time-consuming to put it together, but the end result is worth it.
I am blessed to live in an area where the fishing is great and the people are nice!

Offline 52niner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2009, 08:58 AM »
trekker II absolutely love it, plenty of room even with a gas auger, and you can get up and go in a jiffy.
"Beer is living proof that there is a God and he wants us to be happy." Ben Franklin

Offline dfish17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2009, 10:34 AM »
The seat on the Shappell is the reason I am leaning to the Frabill, very unconfortable.

Offline fishin_692

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM REDNECK
« Reply #16 on: Dec 31, 2009, 10:14 AM »
frabill all the way here very nice and conferble
KILL,EM,AND,GRILL,EM      

Offline The Mole Hole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 25, 2010, 05:23 PM »
From the sounds of other Trekker II owners like me, it is sort of a pain putting it together like i said earlier..but dont let that discourage you.. it is a very nice shack and a breeze to set up once on the ice, trust me you will not be dissapointed with it and all of those lovely memories of putting it together will be put in the past once you start catching fish. THe full cover as wally said works great.. i recommend that as well.

Does the trekker 2 have telescoping poles, or does it fold in half like the rover?  I have a Rover 1.5 and don't like having to fold the shelter in half evertime I make a move.
JK USN AWN Retired  

`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>:icefish:

Offline dfish17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 26, 2010, 07:34 PM »
Does the trekker 2 have telescoping poles, or does it fold in half like the rover?  I have a Rover 1.5 and don't like having to fold the shelter in half evertime I make a move.

It has telescping poles and folds toward one side of the sled.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
« Reply #19 on: Mar 05, 2010, 07:19 PM »
 I bought my Frabil Trekker 2 at Farm&Fleet. They had it on sale last week for $249.99! I love it! It wasn't that bad to put together,atleast I didn't think so anyway. The seating is awesome the way you can side them any where in the sled or remove one if your fishing alone. I also like to way it is simple to just extend the frist u frame up lock it in place and your ready to fish with a nice wind blocker. I would highly recommend the Trekker 2!
 Good Luck & BE SAFE!
  Matt

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.