Author Topic: Getting ready for the season  (Read 12083 times)

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Getting ready for the season
« on: Oct 18, 2019, 08:27 PM »
I'm hanging up my open water gear and prepping for the ice. Just ordered 600 yards of line to respool my reels. Also going to do some updates to my shack. I converted a pop-up camper into a shack a couple of seasons ago and left the floor plan as is. I think I want to gut the whole thing and put one long bench down the back wall. What is everyone doing to get ready for ice?
Every fish is a good fish!

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Getting ready for the season
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2019, 05:20 PM »
I took my boat out for its last troll this morning, brrr and windy, 1 rainbow for my trouble. I bought a bunch of used tip-ups last spring, Have to check the squidding line and if its good just tie on my leaders and hooks. I will have enough for a outing with all the grandkids now, other than that I have deer season to go before ice season comes in..I am looking forward to it!!! ( Newer quad this year)

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2019, 05:57 PM »
Just upgraded the 5ah battery for my drill auger setup to a 12ah. Super stoked for that. I’ve been thinking about setting up a 30 gallon outdoor pond on my porch for shiners. Not sure about that one though. I should be able to get by with just heavy aeration depending on the type of winter central Michigan gets this season. Charged the flasher last week. Not much to do now but wait to stock up on spikes. I do need to get a new blade guard for my auger though. 3 seasons with a broken one is long enough.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2019, 06:08 PM »
Just upgraded the 5ah battery for my drill auger setup to a 12ah. Super stoked for that. I’ve been thinking about setting up a 30 gallon outdoor pond on my porch for shiners. Not sure about that one though. I should be able to get by with just heavy aeration depending on the type of winter central Michigan gets this season. Charged the flasher last week. Not much to do now but wait to stock up on spikes. I do need to get a new blade guard for my auger though. 3 seasons with a broken one is long enough.

Yeah those 12ah batteries are great. I have one of those and 5ah looking to get another 12 and ditch the smaller one.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2019, 07:58 AM »
Re spooled all my spinning reels with pline. Ordering another jack trap and some sleeves to protect my traps. Following the advice of Roccus I put all new leadere hooks and buttons on all my tip ups at the end of the season.  Im ready to go pretty much.
Salmonemia

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2019, 08:36 AM »
Bought a 28" noodle rod, Clam netting for the flip over, new cleats and some jigs.  Buddies and I visiting Cabelas next Sunday to round things out.  In Chicago so we still have a wait ahead of us.

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2019, 11:03 AM »
I'm also going to try and start tying my own bucktails. My wife got me a fly tying kit for my birthday the other day. I also bought a bunch of unpainted tungsten jigs I got 20 for $12.50. My sons and I have been having fun painting those.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 20, 2019, 08:04 PM »
i'm excited for this year! I upgraded my tent on my 3 man clam voyager to a full thermal tent. Bought runners for the tub and just bought a Helix 7 SI G2 for open water and bought the conversion kit for the ice as well. I plan on mounting the unit to my snowmobile to utilize the GPS as well.
Tight Lines!

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 21, 2019, 11:33 AM »
I have to put new line on about 6 of my tipups,  check the line on the rest of my tipups,  go through all my leaders and make up new leaders where needed and starbright my Fatfish.

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 21, 2019, 04:17 PM »
Nosaj Starbright your fatfish?

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 21, 2019, 05:57 PM »
I'm also going to try and start tying my own bucktails. My wife got me a fly tying kit for my birthday the other day. I also bought a bunch of unpainted tungsten jigs I got 20 for $12.50. My sons and I have been having fun painting those.
Make sure you get some head cement and put a little on your thread after tying, it'll make them last longer.

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 21, 2019, 06:04 PM »
Make sure you get some head cement and put a little on your thread after tying, it'll make them last longer.

Thanks for the tip......

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 22, 2019, 08:34 AM »
I already built a bunk bed/platform in my flip so it's easier for me to overnight in it. Upgraded the lighting and will soon either build or buy a battery box of some sort since now I need weekend long power. I also plan on doing some cusking so I need to either build or buy some cusk traps. Never really done much of that, but I'm looking forward to it. Other than that I have to service the snowmachine and my trailer. Sure hope we have good ice by the time 2020 comes.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 22, 2019, 09:31 AM »
Spend most of the summer picking away at my to do list I created during the ice fishing season.
Added 2 more solar panels (now 260 watts), replaced my old outdoor led lights that hang outside around the house, added some more internal lights, added phone battery charger for CH side of the house, some straps to hold my jack etc in an orderly fashion, 24” led tv for the underwater camera etc, serviced the Argo, wheeler and snowmobile, running the augers, made a few more jig sticks, got a new pair of ice fishing pants (by Grunden), got my jack up blocks cut and together (still need to cut my tie down sticks) and now collecting bait (shiners and suckers). I have quite a few Redfin shiners for early ice fishing but not too many suckers so far. Still at it though. Been a busy summer.
I’m almost ready.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 23, 2019, 07:01 AM »
Haven't got into the season prep yet, except for servicing the 4 wheeler and the trailer, I had a few big repairs on the boat before I put it away for the season, I've got to service a dozen salt water reels before I get heavy into ice fishing prep..

I secured my venison last Saturday so my mind is beginning to wander towards the hard water.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Troutsniffer76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Oct 24, 2019, 07:44 AM »
Sounds like some of you guys have been busy.. I've got the lobster traps stacked in the backyard and the boats are good to go. Other than that I have done nothing, but I've got a lot on my to-do list. First I gotta collect and store all my salt and freshwater gear and clean the garage. Then I'll go about getting new hooks, line and leader on all my tip ups, get the snowmobile breathing again and get my pop up out of the basement and aired out.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 24, 2019, 09:54 AM »
I already built a bunk bed/platform in my flip so it's easier for me to overnight in it. Upgraded the lighting and will soon either build or buy a battery box of some sort since now I need weekend long power. I also plan on doing some cusking so I need to either build or buy some cusk traps. Never really done much of that, but I'm looking forward to it. Other than that I have to service the snowmachine and my trailer. Sure hope we have good ice by the time 2020 comes.

I plan on doing some overnight trips this year as well and jigging for cusk at night. I've only done it once and we didn't catch much. Maybe we can swap some info and reports when the time comes!
Tight Lines!

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 25, 2019, 07:25 AM »

I plan on doing some overnight trips this year as well and jigging for cusk at night. I've only done it once and we didn't catch much. Maybe we can swap some info and reports when the time comes!

Absolutely!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline wshnIwsfshn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 26, 2019, 05:36 PM »
Got my bait tank setup for my shiners and went and soaked some traps today hoping for a bunch tomorrow fingers crossed

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #19 on: Oct 27, 2019, 11:11 AM »
Getting my Smitty done today!👻
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Oct 29, 2019, 10:04 AM »
Just got my jig and soft plastic order from fish usa. Looking at this filet table see link below. Its small lightweight and is the proper height. The table I use now kills my back as its way too short. I started fileting fish last year in my garage instead of the kitchen. It works nicely and keeps the mess out of the house. This makes the wanna be wife happy.
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/rite-hite-multipurpose-fillet-table#repChildCatid=4189205

looking at some rod socks and another jack trap and some protective trap sleeves. Need eggs and waxies too.
Salmonemia

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Oct 29, 2019, 11:23 PM »
Hey, Wayne.
The higher filet tables are a huge plus for the back!
The one you linked to looks like it may have stability issues?
Get a hold of me if you want, I have one that's home made, rugged and looking for a new home.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #22 on: Oct 30, 2019, 04:10 PM »
Haven’t done much of anything to prep other than plugging in my vex....I’ll wait until after hunting season
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Oct 30, 2019, 05:39 PM »
Hey, Wayne.
The higher filet tables are a huge plus for the back!
The one you linked to looks like it may have stability issues?
Get a hold of me if you want, I have one that's home made, rugged and looking for a new home.
Ok will do. Does it fold up? Are you trapping bait yet?
Salmonemia

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Oct 30, 2019, 10:24 PM »
Ok will do. Does it fold up? Are you trapping bait yet?
We can customize the table to your needs or wants. The top is 1/2" Azak or similar. I used it for filleting salt water fish. I can customize the top in size also, if it's bigger than what you want.
I decided not to trap bait this year. I don't expect to do much ice fishing.

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Oct 31, 2019, 01:17 AM »
We can customize the table to your needs or wants. The top is 1/2" Azak or similar. I used it for filleting salt water fish. I can customize the top in size also, if it's bigger than what you want.
I decided not to trap bait this year. I don't expect to do much ice fishing.

That's sad to hear......

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Oct 31, 2019, 08:10 AM »
Ok Richard I will give you a shout. Thanks. I don't need a huge table I will keep in my garage, leaning against wall when not in use. As you said the height is key for back comfort. I use that electric knife you gave me all the time now, figured it is time for a table.
Salmonemia

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Oct 31, 2019, 08:42 AM »
Making progress, salt gear is put away, boat is under wraps and I've got venison in the freezer..( I still have a buck tag I can fill)
I started a special build ( tip ups) for a long time friend who lost  his dad this spring, I knew and  fished with  his Dad for many years and have  fished with  3 generations of the family, the tip up will be my snow leopard special, but with Red. White and blue finish with a American flag signal flag ( he saw active duty in Vietnam with  the marine corp). .the .wood will be white ash, tip ups will be 25" high, with a 21" long  base. set to a 4" wide footprint...the 4" HT enterprise spools will be filled with 1500' of line, 1000' of it will be   40lb green dot backing and 500' of 36lb  green waxed Dacron.

as an aside, I've dug out my gear and brought it front and center in the shop  so I can commence to tinkering!
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Oct 31, 2019, 11:49 AM »
Making progress, salt gear is put away, boat is under wraps and I've got venison in the freezer..( I still have a buck tag I can fill)
I started a special build ( tip ups) for a long time friend who lost  his dad this spring, I knew and  fished with  his Dad for many years and have  fished with  3 generations of the family, the tip up will be my snow leopard special, but with Red. White and blue finish with a American flag signal flag ( he saw active duty in Vietnam with  the marine corp). .the .wood will be white ash, tip ups will be 25" high, with a 21" long  base. set to a 4" wide footprint...the 4" HT enterprise spools will be filled with 1500' of line, 1000' of it will be   40lb green dot backing and 500' of 36lb  green waxed Dacron.

as an aside, I've dug out my gear and brought it front and center in the shop  so I can commence to tinkering!
Very Cool Joe. I remember you telling me something about building something special similar to your custom traps you built last year. Those will be very nice for sure. That will be a very nice Gift.
Salmonemia

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Oct 31, 2019, 09:09 PM »
That's sad to hear......
Thanks Digs. Sad, but that's the way of it. I never had much trouble catching bait around here. Last year, I got permission to trap a spot that had very easy access and more bait than I've ever seen before. This time of year, 3 or 4 traps would produce all my 70 gallon tank would hold and all I'd need for a season. 
I started a special build ( tip ups) for a long time friend who lost  his dad this spring, I knew and  fished with  his Dad for many years and have  fished with  3 generations of the family, the tip up will be my "snow leopard special", but with Red. White and blue finish with a American flag signal flag ( he saw active duty in Vietnam with  the marine corp). .the .wood will be white ash, tip ups will be 25" high, with a 21" long  base. set to a 4" wide footprint...the 4" HT enterprise spools will be filled with 1500' of line, 1000' of it will be   40lb green dot backing and 500' of 36lb  green waxed Dacron.

Those tip ups sound very special, Joe. 1500' of line, that's probably enough so even I couldn't get spooled by the time I got to them.  ;D
 "Snow leopard special"? Is that the name of the traps you described or does it have a special meaning?
I have a couple friends who were marines in Nam. They were a special breed.
Hope your striper season was a good one.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.