Author Topic: New flasher  (Read 3584 times)

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
New flasher
« on: Jul 31, 2019, 03:58 AM »
I am looking for recommendations, I want to upgrade my flasher, I have a hummingbird 35 and am thinking of getting a vexilar 8 . Just looking for you thoughts or even if you know of someone selling 1...

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: New flasher
« Reply #1 on: Jul 31, 2019, 05:11 AM »
If your set on a vex , skip the 8 and go to the fl18 , as the 8 isn’t really an upgrade ,
 Marcum flashers are another choice along with a better Humminbird
   I’m sure many others will chime in

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jul 31, 2019, 05:23 AM »
Agree with filet and release go to fl-18 at least but if you can go to flx-28.  The FL-8 is not an upgrade.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jul 31, 2019, 08:42 AM »
I have an older version of the marcum m5 and I highly recommend. My buddy has had multiple flashers and his favorite is the m5 as well.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jul 31, 2019, 10:07 AM »
Looking at the specs for the Ice35...in my opinion  it would be hard to upgrade to a Vexilar ..as its looks the Ice35 has a dual beam transduce and zoom ..which pretty much covers lots of depth/species situations..with the Vexilar ...no dual beam or tri beam offered anymore..the FL18 does have zoom and a low power setting. The low power setting is an upgrade if you target species in shallow weeds . Vexilar has the ProView Transducer ..which is a combo 9/12/20 deg ..but controlled by the gain knob setting. I am not sold on the tech/function of the ProView..other IceShanty members have no issues with the ProView.

https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.com/fish-finders/ice/ice-35-flasher
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jul 31, 2019, 03:20 PM »
I have fished my hummingbird next to a vexilar and and a marcum  and I think both those brands were more precise than my hummingbird..Keep the comments coming, I am taking it all in!!!

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jul 31, 2019, 04:11 PM »
While both are excellent, I suggest MarCum if for no other reason then they are durable, and their customer service is exceptional!
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jul 31, 2019, 04:23 PM »
While both are excellent, I suggest MarCum if for no other reason then they are durable, and their customer service is exceptional!

Not being biased but I agree... ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jul 31, 2019, 05:02 PM »
My experience with marcum customer service has been good ,

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jul 31, 2019, 05:51 PM »
is there a particular model Marcum I should check out?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Aug 01, 2019, 06:16 AM »
is there a particular model Marcum I should check out?

I believe the Marcum M5 would be equitant to what you have now as far as features zoom ..dual transducer ..then the features improve with the Lx6 ,Lx7 and the Lx9 models.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Aug 01, 2019, 08:39 AM »
I have fished my hummingbird next to a vexilar and and a marcum  and I think both those brands were more precise than my hummingbird..Keep the comments coming, I am taking it all in!!!

explain? precise how? ability to get a jig return on the screen at a depth? fishing in weeds? etc.?

If properly setup your 35 offers plenty of flexibility. Dual beam and zoom go a long way

Catchin' Fish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Aug 01, 2019, 10:27 AM »
explain? precise how? ability to get a jig return on the screen at a depth? fishing in weeds? etc.?

If properly setup your 35 offers plenty of flexibility. Dual beam and zoom go a long way

Believe the ICE units have a 2.5 in target separation ..and the zoom is not a true zoom ..more of a magnifier

Vexilars FL18 has less than .5 inches

Marcum M5 has a .75 inches target separation

https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.com/sites/johnsonoutdoors-store/files/assets/misc/HU/H/HUM_productmanual_OPS_ICEFLASHR_531611E/HUM_productmanual_OPS_ICEFLASHR_531611E.pdf

http://www.vexilar.com/pages/product-comparison

https://marcumtech.com/marcum-improves-on-perfection-with-new-m-series-flashers/

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Aug 01, 2019, 10:55 AM »
target separation doesn't mean a whole lot - its a fake number until there is some sort of standard of measurement

Catchin' Fish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Aug 01, 2019, 11:13 AM »

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Aug 01, 2019, 01:58 PM »
if target separation was based on a standard that would be true....do you know at what max depth, target depth, gain, sensitivity, target distance from transducer X and Y axis, etc. in which Vexilar measures their target separation? How about Humminbird, Garmin, Marcum? if not, then the numbers mean nothing. Vex might give you the best case scenario target separation while Humminbird gives the worst. Vexilar might spec theirs at +10dbi while humminbird is +3dbi. They use different frequencies and cone. The spec is meaningless   

Catchin' Fish

Offline Dickbakers

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Oct 12, 2019, 02:57 PM »
target separation doesn't mean a whole lot - its a fake number until there is some sort of standard of measurement
[/quit

Can't agree more.   I have a Vex FL20  and has performed great for over a decade.  But  I think the FL 18  is a great choice for much less money.
Dick

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 12, 2019, 08:01 PM »
I have a bird 35 and 45 and really like them both. I found a great deal on the 55 and pulled the trigger. It was $399 with a $55 mail in rebate.
Every fish is a good fish!

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Oct 14, 2019, 04:11 AM »
Where did you find a deal like that Digs?

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 14, 2019, 03:05 PM »
Every fish is a good fish!

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: Oct 14, 2019, 06:48 PM »
I’m gonna say skip the traditional flashers and get a one of the boat graphs in an ice kit.  Garmin Striker/Echomap or Humminbird Helix.  I’m finding that even on the cheap Strikers that they have more to offer than any of the analog flashers.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #21 on: Oct 15, 2019, 04:41 AM »
A couple of things. Hodges Marine is a great place if you are looking to get some electronics, Got a Helix 5 ice has a split screen with a flasher and graph display that I rally like. Got a TM transducer for open water fishing in my jon boat. Good luck in your search!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Oct 15, 2019, 08:33 PM »
I’m gonna say skip the traditional flashers and get a one of the boat graphs in an ice kit.  Garmin Striker/Echomap or Humminbird Helix.  I’m finding that even on the cheap Strikers that they have more to offer than any of the analog flashers.

Same here check out the Helix ice

Offline Dirt23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Oct 17, 2019, 06:53 AM »
Lowrance units have iceducers  for many of there models I personally like graph style but there is also flasher setting on them or can even split screen with flasher and graph.  Graph style you can kind of see the mood of fish and how they want your jig.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.