Author Topic: Tip-up for walleye / lake trout  (Read 4013 times)

Offline jc6s

• IceShanty Rookie
Tip-up for walleye / lake trout
« on: Jan 10, 2015, 12:08 AM »
First time ice fishing so im clueless as to setting up my tip ups.  What should I use for line , leader, hook size, and what’s everyones favorite bait.  I would also like to target lake trout at some point.

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
Re: Tip-up for walleye / lake trout
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2015, 08:27 AM »

Hi jc6s, there are few types on line you can use on your tip-ups, I use 50 lb. Dacron line then I use 8 lb. fire line, it is small but strong, put a swivel between the Dacron and leader. Some use floro carbon and some use mono and some use steel when fishing toothy critters, Pike, Tiger Muskie. Hooks depends on the fish you are targeting, more people are using circle hooks, stay away from treble hooks. Bait depends on what your fishing for, walleye like shiners, Lake trout like shiners as well as suckers smelt if you can catch them on the body of water that you're on. Salmon like icicles. There is a lot more to it, I did a lot of trial and era. The best is to hook up with some one you know that's been fishing on the lakes you want to fish.

IW   

Offline fishallday15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2015, 12:41 PM »
Does anyone recommend a particular brand or type of tip up?

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2015, 01:24 PM »

Some like the Polar type, it's a low profile tip-up and takes up less room in your sled or basket. The other type is the stand up stick
   tip-up, Laker type. I have both, my HT Hardwater type I use for Lakers, Pike, Tiger Muskie, Polar type I use for Walleye and Salmon and
   Rainbows.

Offline myemmy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2015, 03:44 PM »
Take a look at some of the shops and sponsors at the top, will give you an idea of the type of tip/ups and other equipment.

Offline diamond jig 86

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2015, 09:16 AM »
Heritage lakers pay the price once and fish a life time quality doesn't come cheap top them off with frabill tip up lights for night fishing lakers with lights run u about 50.00 each with line fish 307 used to sell 5 tip up with line for 175.00 I believe

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2015, 05:37 PM »
Are the Heritage Lakers better than Beaver Dams?

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2015, 05:53 PM »
You'll have to wait until the Ice Bowl game and see...

Oh, sorry - football season knee-jerk

Seriously, Look at each - if you can -  before you buy and judge for yourself.  I own neither but I've handled the Heritage Lakers.  Quality materials and great fit & finish, stout units and will last you.  Never saw a Beaver Dam live in person, sorry.

I keep wondering about the difference between the 2 styles - the Rail type and the classic cross style trap - advantage/disadvantage to each?  Is one better?  I'd guess no, just personal preference.

Barring being able to handle either one or both, then get one of each and decide for yourself - or buy a used set - live and learn...

Honestly, I think some of the preferences are regional - Maine guys want Heritage or Jack, others want nothing but Beaver Dams - any why not, support your local guy.  Nothing wrong there either.

Keep us posted.
Trust me, when the Zamboni driver says "You won't catch fish through that hole", he knows of what he speaks.

Offline curtrein

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2015, 07:04 PM »
Don't know about Heritage but I do know about Beaver Dams. High quality and sturdy units that will probably last a lifetime. I eventually went to all Beaver Dams for my tipups once I could find some reasonable prices for used ones on eBay. They stay well lubed and you have the option to send them back to the factory if you ever need them relubed. Also, a very simple flag/trigger mechanism that is extremely easy to set.

Offline bmiller423

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2015, 05:13 PM »
For walleye I like the Arctic Warrior tip ups.  Easy to use and it's a rod and reel set up instead of hand over hand with a regular tip up. 

Offline bmiller423

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2015, 05:14 PM »

Here's a youtube on how to use them.

Offline dswab78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2015, 06:57 PM »
I started out last year.  I have different types from pop up, round, laker style, and polar style.  I like the stick style because they seem easiest to set up for me.  I'd say buy a couple cheaper versions of different styles.  Find out what works best for you.   Then once you find your niche you can upgrade to better tip ups of the type that works for you.

Offline carpface

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2015, 11:21 AM »

A few years ago i purchased Jack trap brand from Maine, I am veryhappy with them.
They come with or without line
They have a web site check them out.  Just google jack traps

Offline bigace

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2015, 02:08 PM »
I bought ht polar tipups two seasons ago, they work flawlessly. Plastic frame with metal spool and rod and internals. Amazing for about 12-15 a tipup depending on where you will find them. You won't need better tip ups

Offline bigace

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2015, 02:09 PM »
I bought ht polar tipups two seasons ago, they work flawlessly. Plastic frame with metal spool and rod and internals. Amazing for about 12-15 a tipup depending on where you will find them. You won't need better tip ups

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2015, 09:02 PM »
The style pictured above is what you want for walleye/lake trout. It offers a lot less resistance to the fish over the shaft style. The drawback is you can't see if the fish is moving from a distance. This usually isn't as big of a deal with lake trout, and walleye just go a few feet and stop.
-Tom

Offline diamond jig 86

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2015, 12:36 AM »
My heritage lakers are 22yrs and counting my first 5 I bought for 5.99 each at the local kmart.com now you can get the flag and spring for that .... I lube the with Otis clp every year to keep them slick

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.