Author Topic: Temperature this morning  (Read 7678 times)

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
Temperature this morning
« on: Dec 02, 2011, 04:13 AM »
It's 24 degrees this morning on Wildcat Ridge in Rockaway. Next coldest spot is 25.7 in Oakridge in Jefferson according to the weather underground. Tonight is forecast to be 23 degrees. The wind completely died as of about 8 pm though at the Morristown airport and surrounding area.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KMMU/2011/12/1/DailyHistory.html

Offline shadylakeice

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Temperature this morning
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2011, 04:42 AM »
Flag up !  FISH ON !! sounds promising, let's get this thing started already !

Offline catfish_onthelake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2011, 07:13 AM »
There's frost on my car in Union County and the water on top of the garbage can lids was frozen yesterday. Now if it can just stop pushing 60 in the afternoon I could get my drill out.

Offline bmxrider11976

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2011, 09:33 AM »
ice in my bird bath!!!!
USE A BOBBER!

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2011, 05:24 PM »
ice in my bird bath!!!!

and on my pool cover this morning!

Offline Jig4M

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2011, 08:09 PM »
It's 24 degrees this morning on Wildcat Ridge in Rockaway. Next coldest spot is 25.7 in Oakridge in Jefferson according to the weather underground. Tonight is forecast to be 23 degrees. The wind completely died as of about 8 pm though at the Morristown airport and surrounding area.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KMMU/2011/12/1/DailyHistory.html
If only we can get 2 solid weeks of these temps!
:icefish:

Offline catfish_onthelake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2011, 06:04 AM »
I think we may be getting there.....Still got a bad feeling though.

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2011, 04:29 AM »
Temperature is 19 degrees at Wildcat Ridge and at Morris Plains this morning. Two coldest weather stations I noticed. Yesterday and into this morning, a total of about 29 hrs., it was over 32 degrees or more for only 8 hrs. That is a good sign right there. That means 21 out of 30 hrs the temps are conducive to making ice. Furthermore the temps today will merely reach the low 40's then back down. Thursday appears to be the warmest on the extended outlook, mid to upper 40's with rain.

Offline tonyrad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Happiness is a big gut pile.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2011, 01:42 PM »
Bob, it was 18-20 here in scenic lakes this AM. No ice on the bigger lake yet. Seems dead calm right now, but the wind and the current water temp may hold off any ice formation for a few days yet. I took note of the skim ice on that shallow pond on the northbound side of #15 where it goes down to one lane in each direction by the bagel place. But skim on a shallow pond is only a tease. Christmas is 2 weeks out and it may provide a few oppurtunities for the brave and the skinny. As for me, it's got to be more than 2   :o  inches like some of the gang are talking about.

Offline bmxrider11976

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2011, 02:14 PM »
i walked on ice this morning!! big puddle where a root ball got pulled up in my yard. had about 3/4 of an inch on it. busted out the hand auger too!! just to check if the blades were sharp, you know?  ??? ;D ;D ;D
USE A BOBBER!

Offline Jig4M

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2011, 08:18 PM »
Yeah, Tony it was pretty frigid this am when I left for work, but by midday it got well above freezing. I definately agree with you when you say the shallows are only a tease. We need a solid couple of days if not 2 weeks of temps below 32 degrees befroe it's good to go!

Offline Jig4M

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2011, 08:26 PM »
I slipped on ice in the parking lot at work this morning if that counts. :)

Offline AJ Flag

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • TEAM MERCER!!!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2011, 12:19 PM »
You should put your creepers on your boots to get to work! haha

"That's how you do it...That is how you ice fish!" MM

Offline Jig4M

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2011, 09:29 PM »
At least I work. ;D I mean after all I just got done reading one of your posts in which you claimed to have alot of down time these days????? What's up with that? ::)

Offline AJ Flag

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • TEAM MERCER!!!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2011, 06:56 PM »
haha I work, I think you should re-write it as you DO work.  My main job is to make sure the building doesn't burn down! No Flames, means I'm good to go!  ;D

"That's how you do it...That is how you ice fish!" MM

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 24, 2011, 05:27 AM »
Remember to keep in mind that the wind helps to keep the surface temperature of the water colder than it would be otherwise. So here's yesterdays weather station report near Mt. Hope. Notice the wind chill factors for the day. Temps alone are not the whole story for conditions to be helpful in making ice. When the wind calms down after it keeps the surface temps low................BIN GO!

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KNJROCKA3&month=12&day=23&year=2011

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 25, 2011, 06:35 AM »
Check the same link in the above post and choose yesterdays date to see that the wind chill factor never hit 30 yesterday. Winds are expected to pick up today and the wind chill factor is forecast around 18 degrees around here.

Something doesn't seem right though with that windchill forecast:-
Sunday
Partly cloudy with a chance of rain in the afternoon. High of 41°F with a windchill of 18°F. Winds from the SW at 10 mph.
Taken from here extended forecast:-
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=zmw:07866.1.99999

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 25, 2011, 07:21 AM »
I would have had a shot at getting out in CT Monday morning but the heavy wind on Friday night kept everything open and ruined any chances of that happening. Luckily there was no wind last night and a buch of places locked up. I could be in business by the end of the week. Let's hope for some more cold windless nights!

Offline bmxrider11976

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 25, 2011, 07:43 AM »
17.3 at my house last night!
USE A BOBBER!

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 25, 2011, 09:25 AM »
I would have had a shot at getting out in CT Monday morning but the heavy wind on Friday night kept everything open and ruined any chances of that happening. Luckily there was no wind last night and a buch of places locked up. I could be in business by the end of the week. Let's hope for some more cold windless nights!

Like I said, pre lock up and after lock up the wind is good. It keeps the surface temp of the water and then ice..............ice cold!!!

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 25, 2011, 09:39 AM »
Like I said, pre lock up and after lock up the wind is good. It keeps the surface temp of the water and then ice..............ice cold!!!

Wind prevents water from freezing because of the surface movement and it breaks apart thin ice, and it eats away thick ice if there is any open water. After the ice forms wind makes it much more miserable to be out there. Windy days suck for ice fisherman.

Offline shantysitter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 25, 2011, 10:11 AM »
Wind prevents water from freezing because of the surface movement and it breaks apart thin ice, and it eats away thick ice if there is any open water. After the ice forms wind makes it much more miserable to be out there. Windy days suck for ice fisherman.
X2

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 26, 2011, 03:33 PM »

Shanty needs to rethink this as well.

That's only part true and not what I was saying at all. Both of us should have qualified our comments. I took it for granted that since we were talking about ice freezing that it was a given that ice freezes at 32 and nothing above that. Your comments above are only true if the air is warmer than 32 degrees.

I was merely saying that the wind chill factor aids in making ice and helps to keep ice once it's formed since, for example, if the temperature is 32 outside and the wind chill factor is 25 then ice will be made faster and it helps to keep it chilled thereafter unless temps really warm. First, because the surface temp of the water is chilled to a freezing temperature faster with the wind than without it. Secondly, lets use your reasoning about windy days sucking for fisherman. The reason why a windy winter day sucks is because the wind chill factor makes you colder by taking body temperature away from the body as the wind carries your body heat from you. So the effect of wind on surface temps helps to chill those surfaces. However, saying that only means that ice forms only when the temp is at or below 32 degrees. Moreover, a wind chill factor of 10 degrees with a temp of 25 degrees will produce ice faster than if it was merely 25 degrees with no wind. This is simple logic and rational thinking.

As far as wind preventing ice from forming I don't believe that is correct either if the temps are below freezing. Did you ever note when a body of water is forming ice near a beach (like Mt. Hope Pond) and the wind blows in toward the beach causing ice to form in layers upon the other layers that have already formed near the shoreline? This would continue to build up in thickness as well as outward toward the center of the pond. All ice forms from the shallower water to the deeper. Of course, then usually a calming of the wind enables the pond to lock up but wind cannot prevent it from happening unless it's a huge body of water, say like Ontario. Last December (2010) was windy the whole month, I know because I'm outdoors everyday and the ice locked up at Mt. Hope Pond early last year in spite of it being windy. Here's some pics below from last Dec. which I believe demonstrate what I am saying. Notice the white ice which has formed near the shoreline........it is layered and then thins as it changes to black ice............then another pattern of white ice which is layered then eventually the pond locked up the remaining surface with black ice further from shore. This is proof of what I am saying as I noted it first hand last year and drilled holes beginning close to shore and leading about 300' from the beach. The further from the beach the thinner the ice became. Why? Because the white ice formed in layers thus making it thicker because the wind was blowing water onto a frozen surface and forming more ice. Then the wind calmed and it formed some black ice, then more wind before it all locked up forming more layered white ice until finally on a calmer day or night the whole thing locked up with black ice. The subsequent wind chill for the remaining part of December didn't cause the ice to melt or break up but actually made it thicker since the wind chill factor made it much colder than 32 degrees for most of the rest of December. In fact Hopatcong also locked up pretty quick last year too because of this trend. They fished it on the 23rd of Dec. last year.

From JigAwhopper on p11 Reports & Conditions Re: Hopatcong / Morris, Sussex
« Reply #209 on: Dec 23, 2010, 10:15 AM »Quote      Fished at the state park yesterday,  straight out from the boat ramp.  Ice was about 6 closer to shore  but around 4" in some other places.  Kind of windy and very slow.  Some guys walked all the way across to the apartments on the other side.  So I figure the  whole bay is safe to walk on right now

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/bgm/wxtalk/script38.txt   Especially paragraph 4 which states:-

For example, a wind chill of 32 degrees does NOT cause water to freeze if the air temperatures is above freezing.  However, higher wind speeds will help cool water faster, and if the air temperature IS below freezing, the wind will cause water to freeze faster.

That's what I'm saying right there. Look at my post on 12/14/10 p3 and the pics I supplied in the link below. Note especially the 4th pic down in that post. I have reconsidered my own position on wind and it's positive effect in aiding the forming of ice. Notice also my many references to the wind prohibiting the forming of ice. In fact, I now believe it helped it not prohibited it.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=128633.40

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 26, 2011, 04:55 PM »
What you're seeing is ice that was broken apart by wind and pushed to the wind blown shoreline. The white is from air bubbles produced by weathering. Wind chill makes you feel colder but the air isn't any colder than the temperature so your theory makes no sense. In the fall lakes go through a turnover where the surface temperature becomes colder than the deep water, which is the opposite of what you're used to seeing in the summer. If anything the wind agitates the cold surface water mixing it with the warmer water below slowing the freezing process. I've been paying close attention to weather forecasts for years while watching my favorite lakes freeze and melt. Looking stuff up on the Internet can shorten you're learning curve, but it's no substitute for field experience.

Offline Garnet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep the lines tight and the flags high.
« Reply #24 on: Dec 26, 2011, 06:29 PM »
from what i've gathered from wind, nothing is worse for the ice then a wind blowing at the edge of it from open water.  Between the water being warmed then the freezing point and the constant stress put on top of the ice from waves, it brakes up the ice faster then you can blink.   Even on a frigid  night wind can mess everything up

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 26, 2011, 07:27 PM »
Exactly. The three worst things for ice are warm weather, rain, and wind. Hopefully those three things will go away after new years so I don't start burning all my money on gas driving north.

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 26, 2011, 08:59 PM »
Here's a fun fact from ehow:

"Wind is another renewable source which can melt ice. Acting in a similar pattern to water, wind energy causes ice to vibrate, thus generating movement in dormant ice particles. Once the particles are activated, the heat from the molecules begins to melt the ice. Wind attacks the surface molecules, thus wind heat initiates melting from the top of the ice."

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 27, 2011, 10:04 AM »
Well ::) I'll have you know that I been looking for ice on the internet and came across this..  ;) http://youtu.be/poKX6OnehTc (ftp://youtu.be/poKX6OnehTc)

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 27, 2011, 10:17 AM »
That's awesome. That shot of the helicopter flying through the valley of ice chunks is incredible. Several groups have done studies and found out that along with warming oceans and air, unusual switches in wind patterns played a part in breaking apart the sea ice: http://m.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/mar/22/wind-sea-ice-loss-arctic?cat=environment&type=article

Offline shantysitter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 27, 2011, 11:58 AM »
Shanty needs to rethink this as well.

That's only part true and not what I was saying at all. Both of us should have qualified our comments. I took it for granted that since we were talking about ice freezing that it was a given that ice freezes at 32 and nothing above that. Your comments above are only true if the air is warmer than 32 degrees.

I was merely saying that the wind chill factor aids in making ice and helps to keep ice once it's formed since, for example, if the temperature is 32 outside and the wind chill factor is 25 then ice will be made faster and it helps to keep it chilled thereafter unless temps really warm. First, because the surface temp of the water is chilled to a freezing temperature faster with the wind than without it. Secondly, lets use your reasoning about windy days sucking for fisherman. The reason why a windy winter day sucks is because the wind chill factor makes you colder by taking body temperature away from the body as the wind carries your body heat from you. So the effect of wind on surface temps helps to chill those surfaces. However, saying that only means that ice forms only when the temp is at or below 32 degrees. Moreover, a wind chill factor of 10 degrees with a temp of 25 degrees will produce ice faster than if it was merely 25 degrees with no wind. This is simple logic and rational thinking.

As far as wind preventing ice from forming I don't believe that is correct either if the temps are below freezing. Did you ever note when a body of water is forming ice near a beach (like Mt. Hope Pond) and the wind blows in toward the beach causing ice to form in layers upon the other layers that have already formed near the shoreline? This would continue to build up in thickness as well as outward toward the center of the pond. All ice forms from the shallower water to the deeper. Of course, then usually a calming of the wind enables the pond to lock up but wind cannot prevent it from happening unless it's a huge body of water, say like Ontario. Last December (2010) was windy the whole month, I know because I'm outdoors everyday and the ice locked up at Mt. Hope Pond early last year in spite of it being windy. Here's some pics below from last Dec. which I believe demonstrate what I am saying. Notice the white ice which has formed near the shoreline........it is layered and then thins as it changes to black ice............then another pattern of white ice which is layered then eventually the pond locked up the remaining surface with black ice further from shore. This is proof of what I am saying as I noted it first hand last year and drilled holes beginning close to shore and leading about 300' from the beach. The further from the beach the thinner the ice became. Why? Because the white ice formed in layers thus making it thicker because the wind was blowing water onto a frozen surface and forming more ice. Then the wind calmed and it formed some black ice, then more wind before it all locked up forming more layered white ice until finally on a calmer day or night the whole thing locked up with black ice. The subsequent wind chill for the remaining part of December didn't cause the ice to melt or break up but actually made it thicker since the wind chill factor made it much colder than 32 degrees for most of the rest of December. In fact Hopatcong also locked up pretty quick last year too because of this trend. They fished it on the 23rd of Dec. last year.

From JigAwhopper on p11 Reports & Conditions Re: Hopatcong / Morris, Sussex
« Reply #209 on: Dec 23, 2010, 10:15 AM »Quote      Fished at the state park yesterday,  straight out from the boat ramp.  Ice was about 6 closer to shore  but around 4" in some other places.  Kind of windy and very slow.  Some guys walked all the way across to the apartments on the other side.  So I figure the  whole bay is safe to walk on right now

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/bgm/wxtalk/script38.txt   Especially paragraph 4 which states:-

For example, a wind chill of 32 degrees does NOT cause water to freeze if the air temperatures is above freezing.  However, higher wind speeds will help cool water faster, and if the air temperature IS below freezing, the wind will cause water to freeze faster.

That's what I'm saying right there. Look at my post on 12/14/10 p3 and the pics I supplied in the link below. Note especially the 4th pic down in that post. I have reconsidered my own position on wind and it's positive effect in aiding the forming of ice. Notice also my many references to the wind prohibiting the forming of ice. In fact, I now believe it helped it not prohibited it.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=128633.40
Fishgalore might want to" rethink" this

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.