The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Mail Order Gear  (Read 948 times)

Offline ColdHole

• Team IceShanty Regular
Mail Order Gear
« on: Nov 08, 2018, 10:16 PM »
If a fella had to subscribe to just one catalog.....what would it be? I don't get to just run to the store to shop....that's a 3 hr trip.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Mail Order Gear
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2018, 02:01 AM »
Mail-order catalog? What is this, 1994? Lol I’m just pulling your leg.  :tipup:

Honestly though, I wouldn’t subscribe to any of them. The internet exists now. That’s all the “catalog” anyone could ever ask for.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2018, 08:33 AM »
Not really a catalog, but Reeds sporting goods has a good flyer they put out every year.  Covers just about every manufacturer out there from electronics to shelters.  Marine General also typically has a really good website.  Lots and lots of options on there. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2018, 10:21 AM »
If a fella had to subscribe to just one catalog.....what would it be? I don't get to just run to the store to shop....that's a 3 hr trip.

American Science and Surplus. Seriously, there is not a more entertaining catalog read on the planet. Or, almost as good, an old Herter's "bible" when George L. was still writing. Not a bigger collection of outdoor bravado, self-importance and B.S. anywhere. But you're not interested in entertainment value...

Honestly? What RyanW said. I get weekly catalogs (sometimes more often than that) from BPS/Cabelas because I've been a long-time customer. They rarely get opened and head right for the recycle bag. Reed's comes about three times a year, same deal. Even their big "Master" or seasonal special catalogs... Recycle immediately. Occasionally I look at the specialty ones (Boating/Marine, Saltwater, Shooting) just to get some ideas on what's new and/or available. I do like and keep the Lure Parts Online big catalog around just for reference and quality reading in the "library".

I've got a folder just for "Shop n Ship" bookmarks that holds preferred vendors and tracking pages for all the primary shippers on both phone and PC. Done.

My preferred vendors? FishUSA, LPO, Amazon, BPS/Cabelas get probably 99% of my business. The more I use FishUSA, the more I use FishUSA. They don't have everything but they have a lot and their pricing is very competitive.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2018, 10:46 AM »
Today I just bought the in-fisherman 2019 ice fishing guide at walmart and it came with a reeds flyer/catalog. If you can get access to the internet everything is at your fingertips, then you can look for the best pricing. I use Amazon a lot.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2018, 10:52 AM »
Amazon...the bane of my existence. Should have bought their stock at the IPO. My purchases alone have put their earnings through the roof.

I do a little Cabelas and Home Depot  now and then, but not much.

Wife has been doing the Wayfair thing recently.

The only "catalog" I use is the ones from the hardware. Basically to see what might be on sale.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 2018, 11:21 AM »
I like Reed's Sports. They're prices are always really good, and they get things out quick. I've bought a lot of high end stuff from them and they always have been really helpful. Fleet Farm also has a lot of gear too. I buy most of my gear online. I'll check locally first, but usually they can't compete. Always check to make sure the shipping is free. Most of the good places will offer free shipping if you're above a certain total.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #7 on: Nov 09, 2018, 12:19 PM »
 Scheels, Cabelas and Sportsmans Warehouse will all deliver to the store closest to you for free as well.

Offline ColdHole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 09, 2018, 01:02 PM »
Thanks all!! I do use internet often but also due to a remote location that doesn't always have reliable internet and me being old fashioned its nice to sit on the couch in front of the fire with my honey looking at a catalog instead of a computer or phone when I'm feeding my ice fishing desires. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.