The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: lithium auger  (Read 4546 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: lithium auger
« Reply #30 on: Sep 16, 2018, 06:47 PM »
So now I'm a little nervous...all this talk about burned up drills. I have read the "reviews" here on just about all of them except the one I just bought...Bosch...600in .lbs, 4.0ah. Anyone have/tried this brand? Sorry to be a thread stealer :-\

I'd have to look at the recomendations on 600in/lbs.....you can probably run a 6,5,or 4in and be ok. With only 600in/lbs an 8in would burn it up.......and I don't think I would try a 7in either.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #31 on: Sep 16, 2018, 08:22 PM »
I'd have to look at the recomendations on 600in/lbs.....you can probably run a 6,5,or 4in and be ok. With only 600in/lbs an 8in would burn it up.......and I don't think I would try a 7in either.

New drill + New 4" laser = Good to go  ;D
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #32 on: Sep 17, 2018, 06:26 AM »
Any picture hanger will prolly run a 4” !!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #33 on: Sep 17, 2018, 08:26 AM »
after trying several drills and augers i came to a conclusion that a good ratio for drill inch pounds to auger bits size is 100 inch pounds per inch of auger provided you have a high capacity battery and sharp blades with no added down pressure and maintain angle of bit.

Offline WiMeatHunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Sep 17, 2018, 08:38 AM »
Miz,

I personally have made the switch to a Milw Drill paired with a 6" Nils auger and am VERY happy. I also have experince using an Ion and think that you would be very pleased as well. It does what it says it does, as mentioned below it isn't the fastest, but it does get the job done! One other thing to consider is Jiffy has now entered the electric auger market: https://www.jiffyonice.com/Shop/Power-Ice-Drills/Electric/E6-Lightning,-Model-56
Whatever you choose I'm sure you will enjoy it!!! Good luck!
WiMeatHunter

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #35 on: Sep 17, 2018, 09:31 AM »
in 20 inches of ice or more i use a lazer 4" for scouting. some times i just try to fish from it and got into some trouble one time landing a crappie that wouldn't fit thru it. one of us had to hold the fish by it's lip while the other made an adjacent hole to create a figure 8 to be able to get the fish out. it was 18.5 inches. hands gets really really cold doing this btw. also you have to be good at drilling holes. so depending on targets, you may want to make figure 8 holes before fishing from them. you could even make a triangle pattern.

my normal auger size is 6". always get fish thru this size, no problem yet.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #36 on: Sep 17, 2018, 05:53 PM »
after trying several drills and augers i came to a conclusion that a good ratio for drill inch pounds to auger bits size is 100 inch pounds per inch of auger provided you have a high capacity battery and sharp blades with no added down pressure and maintain angle of bit.

I like it...makes sense to me
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Lsranger406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Oct 30, 2018, 10:47 AM »
I think its funny how a guy asks for advice on a certain item and the entire thread gets changed to what works best on a cordless drill. That's not what the guy asked people. He knows what he wants and now just wamts input on those few items. Not my drill is better then your drill.   
    So on with it. I have an ion x. Love it. Really nice for those days of big thick ice and not a lot of walking. Battery does really well in all conditions just don't be a dummy and leave it out in the elements. My augers tend to stay in my shack with me.  Prefer the clam plate if I'm out on a search mission for fish. I'm the type of guy if I dont see or mark fish in the first 5 minutes I move till I get on the fish. Have no complaints of any of the setups out. They all do what they are supppse to. I have an entire fleet of augers. From 4in to 11in. Gas to electric. All depends on the day and what I'm out to do and fish for.
America is all about speed hot,nasty,bad a** speed

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Oct 30, 2018, 12:30 PM »

What about the clam plate and a cordless drill??  Or even just a cordless drill ??  Attached to auger??  Have not seen much about the ion x  yet??  I know the ion has a lot of mixed reviews about it .. for one the Ion is a brace bit style auger with chipper blades..  not ment for cutting holes fast as say a  curved blade style auger like a nils or laser..  if looking at a 8 inch avoid the laser auger. .. 

but it all depends on price on  a good drill like the millwaukee m18 fuel  model 2704-20 with 1200 inch pounds of torque...   or even the dewalt dcd996 with 835 uwo..  or even the ridgid r86116 with 700 inch pounds and life time warranty..  life time warranty on ridgid even on batteries and charger if bought as kit..

all these will push a nils auger in a 8 inch no problem .. but if looking at a 10 inch that leaves the bigger companies like eskimo and strike master.. also look at the weight and battery charging..

like how long charging takes and compared to smaller ion batteries I know my ridgid take about 1 hour to charge a 2 amp battery.. and compare that  of the ion to a millwaukee fuel and a nils set up?? I think you will like the cordless drill  and auger better my self then say the ion x it's self?? But maybe that's just me

My Ion has shaver blades.  It is the older model but the ION X has chipper blades that is another positive.  The shaver blades that came with my Ion are garbage but its the only complaint that I have.
westernmas on the finder

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Oct 30, 2018, 12:40 PM »
I think its funny how a guy asks for advice on a certain item and the entire thread gets changed to what works best on a cordless drill. That's not what the guy asked people. He knows what he wants and now just wamts input on those few items. Not my drill is better then your drill.   
    So on with it. I have an ion x. Love it. Really nice for those days of big thick ice and not a lot of walking. Battery does really well in all conditions just don't be a dummy and leave it out in the elements. My augers tend to stay in my shack with me.  Prefer the clam plate if I'm out on a search mission for fish. I'm the type of guy if I dont see or mark fish in the first 5 minutes I move till I get on the fish. Have no complaints of any of the setups out. They all do what they are supppse to. I have an entire fleet of augers. From 4in to 11in. Gas to electric. All depends on the day and what I'm out to do and fish for.

Excellent points.  If you want to run and gun then I'd suggest the drill setup due to weight alone.  However, I have the first or second generation Ion (no reverse) and outside of the blades I don't have a complaint.  The battery issues in the cold are overrated.  You can put the battery in a bag with hand warmers if it is that cold or just keep it off the ice and elements in normal conditions.  I drilled over 20 holes on 20+ inches of ice on Champlain and it was the only day I drained the battery.  The trophy strike is very interesting but also seems to have shaver style blades.  The battery, reverse, 8 inches and especially the centering pin are very appealing.
westernmas on the finder

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Oct 30, 2018, 01:55 PM »
Has anyone checked out the Jiffy e6 Lightning? It looks like it has a 6mAh battery and brushless motor. I'm thinking about that auger myself. It also has a USB port to charge a phone or something as well. I Believe it uses the ripper style blades. Jiffy's been making augers for a long time. 

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #41 on: Oct 30, 2018, 02:06 PM »
This will be the third year with the X. Had the bit replaced after they put the wrong paint on it, they swapped it out ez pz. Its a great tool. HAve had zero battery issues and I drill a lot of holes. Have given up keeping the battery warm as I haven't found it necessary. I do like the idea of extra USb ports though Steve. Always handy.

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Oct 30, 2018, 03:12 PM »
I do like the idea of extra USb ports though Steve. Always handy.
The brushless motor is a big deal too. I know from my Dewalt tools that brushless motor is a lot more efficient with the battery also. I don't know what the other manufacturers have for a motor, they might be brushless too?

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #43 on: Oct 30, 2018, 05:50 PM »
Very good point !

Offline Liprippa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Nov 22, 2018, 10:29 PM »
Click the link for a giveaway contest for a strikemaster 40v https://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/giveaways/40v-lithium-auger-2/?lucky=60750

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.