Author Topic: Back Up Plan - South Dakota  (Read 1367 times)

Offline 1977 Walleye Guy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Here fishy, fishy, fishy!!!
Back Up Plan - South Dakota
« on: Dec 23, 2014, 12:07 PM »
Fellow Iceheads,

My wife and I take annual trip from Christmas thru the new year.
We have always gone to a particular location in Northern Michigan ( for security purposes i have omitted where) and is where we were married on the ice last season.
Due to the weather they are receiving in that area, it is highly possible that it will not be safe ice for us this year  :'(
We are looking into making an alternate location / Plan B if you will.
I know nothing of South Dakota, could some of you provide what area of South Dakota is in good shape ice wise?
General locations are fine - looking to save our trip / anniversary
Any other information is helpful.

Thank You
It's the hunt, not the harvest that matter's most!!

Offline jonowen008

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Back Up Plan - South Dakota
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2014, 02:55 PM »
Bitter lake west of Watertown is always a good place to start. Never failed to catch northerns there. You also have Enemy swim lake nearby for blue gills, perch, and maybe some walleye.

Offline 1977 Walleye Guy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Here fishy, fishy, fishy!!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2014, 02:58 PM »
thank you for the reply
It's the hunt, not the harvest that matter's most!!

Offline mricefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2014, 05:03 PM »
Am from Watertown and would be a good place to stay and head out to the lakes.  Plenty of hotels, and lots of lakes in the area here.  Waubay would be another good option to stay at.  Not quite so many hotels, but again tons of lakes to fish at in the area there too.  Those would by my 2 suggestions on where to stay, where to fish best to find one of the local bait stores and see if they can give you any pointers.  The Cowboy in Watertown has a board they post the reports for the lakes. 

Travel on the lake, I would suggest walk or atv/sled we have had some warm weather and rain the last few days and ice is not thick enough for me to feel comfy driving the truck out there yet, but many have.   I wish I could give you a direction on where to go to a lake, but I have been too busy getting projects done around the house to get much fishing in....yet lol.   You can pm me if you like and I tell you the bite so far, but I don't have much info for you right now.  But there are a ton of lakes in the area here and if you don't like one lake drive a few miles or less and you can fish another one.  Good luck where ever you get out to, and happy anniversary too.

Offline bronvike21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2014, 02:23 PM »
Happy Anniversary!
I too am headed there after Christmas. Leaving for Watertown on the 26th til the first. Fishing the Waubay/Watertown/Bitter area.
Good luck

Offline rags

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2014, 09:32 PM »
Be careful of the ice guys, we have had warm weather and some light rain . Please check the local bait shops before you hit the ice .

rags

Offline caseySD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2014, 03:14 PM »
X2 on checking with local bait shops.  I was fixin to get on Big Stone but vehicles and ATV's are dropping in today (12-26).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.