Author Topic: Headed to waubay area 28,29,1.  (Read 3665 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Headed to waubay area 28,29,1.
« on: Feb 21, 2012, 10:11 AM »
I'm headed up to the waubay area on the 28,29,1. I've fished Waubay, antelope, and Pickerl before, only to have some really good fishing once on Waubay & mediocre on Pickerl. Antelope never produced a fish for us yet.

Question is what are the lakes that are currently producing decent fish, and give a guy the best chance at catching a few. Took last year off from Waubay area since two years ago we didn't catch crap. Looking at reports I'm thinking Bitter is the place to go. Anyone try Enemy Swim?

Also, is their spear fishing allowed on Rush yet. I've got the stuff to do it, and would like to if their is a good spot to set up at.

Should a guy bring the 4 wheeler or can you drive out with the pickup?

Offline MapnSD

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Do you wonder whats under all that ice?
Re: Headed to waubay area 28,29,1.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2012, 03:21 PM »
I would suggest you give HR One Stop in Waubay a call 605947.4271. They can give you the latest on Bitter, Rush, and whether or not the guys are still driving their trucks out on the ice. Tell them Mike sent ya.  ;)
Mike

Offline GRIZZ08

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2012, 08:33 AM »
9 of us fished bitter the 18th and 19th and we got our 135 perch both days alot of cleaning but it was well worth it
some days I can drink a lot of beer and other days only a case

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2012, 08:55 PM »
Hows the ice looking after this last fury?

Offline rlvb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The fishie says "Why you looking at me like that?"
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2012, 10:29 PM »
I was on Enemy last Sat. and was in that church bay area targeting blue gill and they weren't biting so moved around all over and ended up way on the east side and got into a school of small mouth bass for about 45 minutes and it was a total riot non stop.My third one was 18 incher but she went back also.Smallest was probably 12-13 inches and then they was gone.Reports now i read that some limits of blue gill have been taken from enemy so they must be starting tobite.Spearing is still allowed on Rush lakes,North and South.Went by their today and theirs spear shacks out on the south one right as you drive out of waubay by the trees.Thiers some always out their so you should be able to get started in that area.Nothing going on on the north side.
born to fish---forced to work

Offline majormaj

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • They just call me Major.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2012, 07:15 AM »
Fished up there south of Webster this wknd (24-25).  Did not see many trucks where i was, just wheelers.  I was on 13-15 inches of ice.  But you still see alot of open water on various sloughs as you are driving the hiways up there.  Fishing was slow for me but it was so windy most of the time it was hard for me to be mobile. 

Offline rlvb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2012, 08:03 AM »
I'm headed up to the waubay area on the 28,29,1. I've fished Waubay, antelope, and Pickerl before, only to have some really good fishing once on Waubay & mediocre on Pickerl. Antelope never produced a fish for us yet.

Question is what are the lakes that are currently producing decent fish, and give a guy the best chance at catching a few. Took last year off from Waubay area since two years ago we didn't catch crap. Looking at reports I'm thinking Bitter is the place to go. Anyone try Enemy Swim?

Also, is their spear fishing allowed on Rush yet. I've got the stuff to do it, and would like to if their is a good spot to set up at.

Just to give you a heads up on the weather coming, we are in a winter storm watch from Tuesday morning thru Wednesday ,significant accumulation possible.

Offline blindluck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2012, 04:35 PM »

good luck getting there and out.  you might have to drive farther north if you want to fish.
Generation x9 manual auger, 4 mile 50x zoom binoculars, 50 feet of some fishing line found behind the bait shop, a bare hook, some worms, and a 50 gallon bucket.

Offline Mud87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2012, 05:25 PM »
snowmobiles or nothing if we get the full 20inches!

Offline TRCrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2012, 06:46 PM »
Can you guys keep updating am coming up on the 9th of march.

Offline lastapproach

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2012, 08:15 PM »
Weathermen have been wrong many times as of late...... Maybe they will be right for once this time!
Jiffy STX Pro II 10in, 2007 Yamaha Grizzly 450, Otter Outdoors Ice Lodge, Flx-28, White 2010 Duramax 2500 Crew Cab, Rocky Boots, Cabelas Camo Coat, Camo Under Armour Hat, and Insulated Blue Jeans. Beats sitting in school!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2012, 08:58 PM »
Well lets hope we don't get 20. Looks like things could get interesting.

Offline roostertail

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 28, 2012, 12:09 PM »
Rain here is SE SD, but the forcast for NE doesn't look real conducive to travel!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #13 on: Feb 28, 2012, 02:47 PM »
I have been on Waubay during a white out a couple times and it can get rather hairy.  :o
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline roostertail

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 28, 2012, 04:56 PM »
Got caught on Sanai once and Thompson once when snow started blowing too hard to see the shorelines. This was in the days before GPS.
Scares the hell out of a guy!!!

Offline Greasy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 28, 2012, 05:20 PM »
a crock pot ful of chilli, 10lbs of jerky, twinkeys ho-ho's, 4 cases of busch lite headed, out to the permy on bitter to become stranded, its snowin and im wearing sunglasses lets roll.. see ya all thursday
82 pinto, acid washed levi's, members only jacket, Dekalb stocking hat, and a banana hamock

Offline blindluck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 28, 2012, 05:27 PM »
a crock pot ful of chilli, 10lbs of jerky, twinkeys ho-ho's, 4 cases of busch lite headed, out to the permy on bitter to become stranded, its snowin and im wearing sunglasses lets roll.. see ya all thursday

after you get chisseled out of the drift over your perm....can i have your ice fishing poles?
Generation x9 manual auger, 4 mile 50x zoom binoculars, 50 feet of some fishing line found behind the bait shop, a bare hook, some worms, and a 50 gallon bucket.

Offline jon johnson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "He says you fish poorly."
« Reply #17 on: Feb 28, 2012, 10:54 PM »
Can I have your Busch Lite?!
Clam Thermal X--Ski Doo Summit---Vexilar FL-12

Offline roostertail

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 01, 2012, 07:24 AM »
Can I have your Busch Lite?!
My guess would be there won't be much left of anything consumable. Might even end up eating the noodle rods!!!

Offline roostertail

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 05, 2012, 10:59 AM »
Hey Greasy-
How did the fishing go last week during the "Storm Of The Century"?

Offline Greasy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 05, 2012, 05:14 PM »
well....it looked like more like a gentle snow fall than a storm but that still gave me an excuse to have a day off.  Since this is my story and things got really blurry around midnite i believe we caught about 20 eyes over 8lbs which were released cause in the morning there were 4 in the bucket that were between 15-17.then during the day which noon got blurry again for some reason we caught a hand ful of perch. Not to bad for fishin during a storm but that was just a bonus the main reason was to get out get stupid and talk about the good old days
82 pinto, acid washed levi's, members only jacket, Dekalb stocking hat, and a banana hamock

Offline fishslayer32

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Mar 05, 2012, 08:57 PM »
i like when you can fish and bs around and have a great time out on the ice!!
Honda, walleye, perch, jiffy, can't beat me!, the best, Frabill, frozen water, fish fry, pike, bass, tip up, Vexilar, Clam, John Deere, Eskimo, Aqua Vu, Mr. Heater, Monster Energy, steak.

Offline fireball

• IceShanty Rookie
  • work to live, fish for life
« Reply #22 on: Mar 07, 2012, 05:32 PM »
Thinking about coming up this weekend. Does anyone have a ice report? Probably fishing bitter. Are they driving on the ice still or are they just running quads?

Offline rlvb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 07, 2012, 07:47 PM »
Sportman's Cove report says that atv's would be advisable by the week-end. We are really going to be getting some warm temps by next week. On the 15th of March the DTN shows us at 71 degrees. :'( :'( :'( I havn't been on Bitter in over two weeks,was on the refuge yesterday and didn't do worth a hoot.Was to close to the cold front coming in ,thats my excuse anyways. ::) ::)

Offline bubba69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Mar 09, 2012, 05:57 AM »
we were on bitter last weekend,fri we got our limits sat was dif story hard fishing but managed 15 between two of us.we went out sun before coming home and got 15 more

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.