Author Topic: carrying shanty on sled  (Read 3180 times)

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
carrying shanty on sled
« on: Mar 10, 2022, 09:26 AM »
I live in Michigan and fish on Saginaw Bay. Every year mother nature puts her ugly face into the wind and turns the bay into a romper room. Shoves, busted ice, glare ice, slush, every winter is different, and you never know which one will be here. What you do know is that towing your shanty on the ice is going to wear holes in it, or completely destroy it. At the cost of these newer shantys no one wants to buy a new one every year, or other year, especially guys like me that are retired, and living on a budget. What I want to do is take the seat off my 96 polaris 2 up trail touring sled and put a short seat on it, and carry my shanty on the back where the seat was. No one ever rides on the back so I don't have anything there now but the seat. Anyone done this, or have pics of what I have in mind. thanks

Offline chaumontriverguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: carrying shanty on sled
« Reply #1 on: Aug 16, 2022, 06:39 PM »
If I fiquire out host to post pics without adding an account toy phone I have done it with an atv rack mounted on a utility snowmobile I have pics of it on my atv I just can't postem

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Aug 16, 2022, 06:53 PM »
If I fiquire out host to post pics without adding an account toy phone I have done it with an atv rack mounted on a utility snowmobile I have pics of it on my atv I just can't postem

then find your picture
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Aug 27, 2022, 09:27 AM »
I also fish the Saginaw Bay and have thought about doing the same thing.  Not to mention you can probably get out and back quicker as well.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #4 on: Aug 28, 2022, 06:23 AM »
If you're talking about a hub shanty this is what I did...

1.5" PVC. The flanges on the bottom of the sled were not found locally so I ordered them on line. They're called tabletop flanges. The sled is mounted on skis when transporting. The cross member of the "goalposts" sits about 15" above top of sled to make room for other gear inside of it.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Aug 28, 2022, 07:21 AM »
I use a flipover shanty

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Aug 28, 2022, 08:41 AM »
Here is an idea ..modify to your needs ..if you could purchase a sled/tub similar in size to your exsiting shelter you could incorparate that as well ..so you ice shelter tub/sled could drop into the other sled/tb ..save some time and would make the  modification more ridgid .

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #7 on: Aug 28, 2022, 02:52 PM »
This is what I came up with, it has been working very well. It is low enough to set one side of the shanty on the rack, the pick up the other side and slide it on.

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Sep 09, 2022, 06:29 AM »
You may have already considered this, but I would recommend you beef up the tunnel of your machine to distribute the load.  It would be better not to drill holes in an aluminum tunnel without reinforcing it.  I used this material https://8020.net/ on one of my sleds once, it was good reinforcement and made it easy to attach whatever you want to it, similar to an erector set.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Sep 09, 2022, 06:45 AM »
Here is a long thread that I patterned my one build after.  It was on the Skidoo site and follows a build like what you are thinking about https://www.dootalk.com/threads/expedition-sport-ace-rigging-for-ice-fishing.472230/ .  Here is another similar aluminum reinforcing option that is easy to work with TSLOTS Aluminum Extrusion Manufacturer - TSLOTS by Bonnell Aluminum

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #10 on: Sep 09, 2022, 09:01 AM »
I actually shortened the seat. I removed the seat and had an Auto Upholstery guy shorten it and keep the zipper pocket on the back. The Arctic Cat F570 had a accessory mount in place for a small rack or a two-up seat for a second rider. I design my shelter rack to mount to the accessory mount just as the two-up seat would except using additional mounting clips. The Shanty even loaded up weighs less than a person sitting back there, so has been working great.

Found a picture of how the stock seat looked like.

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Sep 09, 2022, 03:18 PM »
Bart, I like that idea, using the same holes that the seat was attached to. You could mount a lazy boy recliner to sit on when your driving.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.