Author Topic: Anyone Use Flashers On Boat In Open Water?  (Read 3879 times)

Offline JPascavage52

• Team IceShanty Addict
Anyone Use Flashers On Boat In Open Water?
« on: Apr 23, 2015, 12:15 PM »
Hey guys, so I have a Marcum Vx-1 Pro Flasher that has worked like a charm the past couple of ice seasons. I also have a Bass Tracker Pro Team 170 TX bass boat with a Minn Kota Maxxum Trolling motor on the front. I have a low end fish finder on the console that the previous owner installed, and am looking to get one for the front for catching bass deep in the summertime, as well as fish on Erie. I hit on the idea of using my flasher on the front of the boat, and did some research and found some videos as well as a group of guys who have won thousands in tournaments doing this, and actually like it better than a conventional fish finder, since it is in real time rather than what you've already passed over and is just starting to come up on the graph.

Was wondering if anyone has any experience doing this especially with my particular Marcum unit? Which transducer do you use, and do you mount the unit/ transducer somehow, or just dangle it off the side? Thanks!
Pro staff for:

Liquid Mayhem
Titan Tungsten
Lunker City
Toad Thumper Lures

Youtube channel:
www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing/videos

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Anyone Use Flashers On Boat In Open Water?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 23, 2015, 04:14 PM »
I have an Lx-3tc, I've used it a couple of times off the side of the boat for walleye, but you need to have almost no wind or an I-pilot with anchor lock or it's really hard to trace your bait.

I've also used it off the side of fishing piers, it works a lot better this way because you're not moving around at all.  They work in a pinch if you need it but I wouldn't rely on them over a good bow mount transducer with a 35 degree cone or larger.  I've had more success seeing lures in chop with an actual bow mount transducer.

Also switching the depth constantly on a flasher gets a little annoying, but anchored up they work great for panfish or simulating ice fishing in general.  It is a lot more sensitive then my open water transducer if that helps.  It's worth a try IMO.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Apr 23, 2015, 05:52 PM »
since it is in real time rather than what you've already passed over and is just starting to come up on the graph.

That might have been an issue back in the paper graph days, but it's not with today's units.     
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline JPascavage52

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Apr 24, 2015, 08:51 AM »
Have either of you used a puck style transducer?
Pro staff for:

Liquid Mayhem
Titan Tungsten
Lunker City
Toad Thumper Lures

Youtube channel:

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Apr 24, 2015, 03:27 PM »
This past fall I tried my Marcum LX5 out on open water on a friend's boat. We were jigging for lake trout and I wanted to see if this portable flasher would work while I was jigging in the front of the boat. I just hung the transducer over the side of the boat and was able to see fish and my jig as well. I'll try again when I go back to Michigan this summer and fish out of my boat. I only have a graph mounted by my steering wheel but nothing in the bow of the boat where I like to cast and jig from as I use the trolling motor.

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Apr 25, 2015, 11:16 AM »
Have either of you used a puck style transducer?

I just used the standard ice ducer on the Marcum.

Bow mount is a cheap mark 5x, with a skimmer ducer, still tracks jigs and fish just fine.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Apr 25, 2015, 05:14 PM »
Vex Fl-8 on the bow of my boat
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline JPascavage52

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Apr 29, 2015, 02:53 PM »
I just used the standard ice ducer on the Marcum.

Bow mount is a cheap mark 5x, with a skimmer ducer, still tracks jigs and fish just fine.

Thanks, wasn't sure because the user manual says the ice fishing transducer isn't designed for open water, and I should get a high speed transducer.
Pro staff for:

Liquid Mayhem
Titan Tungsten
Lunker City
Toad Thumper Lures

Youtube channel:

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Apr 29, 2015, 03:54 PM »
For what it's worth, I would just invest in a cheap lowrance or humminbird for the bow and get a universal bow mount, mount for the transducer.  Greatly improves open water fishing.  If you want the ice fishing experience on open water you can always do what Dave Genz does.  I want that setup!

https://youtu.be/lZspuQXhwhk

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.