The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: How to prep your power auger for summer storage  (Read 8316 times)

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
How to prep your power auger for summer storage
« on: Mar 04, 2018, 10:57 PM »

Offline Esoxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Certified Bait is ridiclus
Re: How to prep your power auger for summer storage
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2018, 12:25 AM »
Remove all the gas and replace spark plug .store upright garage shed and wait for next winter.
Ice Fish only, stricly targeting Esox lucius and Masquinongy, everything else is just bait.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2018, 04:41 AM »
The following are storage recommendations only. Because of today’s fuels StrikeMaster cannot guarantee results.
ENGINE OIL
• Change crankcase oil before the start or at the end of each season or 50hrs of use with fresh StrikeMaster API SM (as a minimum)
OW-20 4-Cycle Synthetic Engine Oil.
CLEAN AND STORE EACH SEASON
• At the end of the season, add fuel stabilizer to the fuel tank. Be sure to keep the tank approximately 1/4 full of gasoline.
• Run for 2-3 minutes then turn off.
• Remove the spark plug, pour about 2 cc (about 4 drops) engine oil into the cylinder, slowly pull the starter handle of the recoil starter 2 or 3
times, and tighten the spark plug.
• Slowly pull the recoil starter handle until resistance is felt, and leave it in that position.
• Spray WD-40 or oil on the blades and screws to help reduce rust or corrosion.
• Clean the engine thoroughly with a clean cloth, put a cover on and store the engine indoors in well ventilated low humidity area.
• Store all auger styles with blade guard attached.
• At the beginning of the next season, drain gas tank of old fuel and add fresh winter blend gasoline.

these are the storage instructions that came with my  4 stroke strikemaster  my eskomo was 45 years old still runs  and all I ever did was drain the tank and oil in the cyl.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2018, 08:33 AM »
Not a fan of removing all the fuel. That can lead to its own problems.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2018, 09:05 AM »
My Dad bought a one armed bandit Jiffy around 1972.

Have never done a thing to it at the end of the season except toss it into the back corner of the shed.

At the start of the upcoming ice season, dump out the old gas, pour in new, prime it a couple times, choke it and pull once or twice to start it.

In 46 years (it's still running to this day) it's only had a couple (maybe) new spark plugs, never had a carb rebuild or needed tearing down to fix.

They sure don't make 'em like they used to.
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2018, 09:34 AM »
Yeah the older engines arnt built to newer emissions standards. The newer engines are more finicky when it comes to storage.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2018, 10:07 AM »
Easy...turning my nils power into an anchor and getting something new for next year.  I stored it for years with a full tank of trufuel and never had an issue. I also would not empty the fuel. Lines will dryrot.  Also a good idea to fire it up once or twice to lubricate the piston.  You could fog it if you wanted to ensure protection but to me its overkill.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2018, 10:14 AM »
Great tips fullthrottle,thanks.  By the way was that 1/2throttle in the video?

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2018, 10:18 AM »
For my 2 stroke I use NON-E fuel put in fresh fuel little sea foam , there is enough oil in the mix to lube , fogging isn’t really necessary   , Run 5 min and store , I start once or twice in the off season ,

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Mar 05, 2018, 11:07 AM »
Easy...turning my nils power into an anchor and getting something new for next year.  I stored it for years with a full tank of trufuel and never had an issue. I also would not empty the fuel. Lines will dryrot.  Also a good idea to fire it up once or twice to lubricate the piston.  You could fog it if you wanted to ensure protection but to me its overkill.

yup strike master and Honda recommend storing with a 1/4 tank of gas (no alcohol) with stabilizer in it  beginning of next season toss that gas and fill with  good non alcohol gas....I changed my oil last year i think it's good ...and I just smear a little grease on my blades .....

next week we are going to discuss how to but a cover on your sled so it doesn't fill with snow when you drive across the lake  ;D

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Mar 05, 2018, 11:16 AM »
Lol Trap....I thought it was going to be a shaming video calling out guys for peeing on the ice!   ;D

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 05, 2018, 11:19 AM »
For my 2 stroke I use NON-E fuel put in fresh fuel little sea foam , there is enough oil in the mix to lube , fogging isn’t really necessary   , Run 5 min and store , I start once or twice in the off season ,

Sea foam is a great product. I normally don’t use it for fuel stabilization. A properly running 2 stroke engine doesn’t introduce enough Oil into the cylinder for storage protection ( the oil drops out of the fuel when it enters the crank case to lube the international engine components. ) in almost every manufacturers storage procedures fogging the cylinder is recommended for storage. Especially with using a 50-1 ratio oil to fuel mix

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 05, 2018, 11:27 AM »

Low, if you have seen the amount of 2 stroke Engines I get in the shop with a stuck piston you wouldn’t think that. I have a special punch I use to stick down the plug hole to crack the rust free lol . 

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Mar 05, 2018, 12:15 PM »

Low, if you have seen the amount of 2 stroke Engines I get in the shop with a stuck piston you wouldn’t think that. I have a special punch I use to stick down the plug hole to crack the rust free lol .

I suppose if I were you, I MAY feel that way but I spent quite a bit of time as a mechanic myself and have never had an issue.  No ethonol ever means no chance of condensation from water seperating from the alcohol in the combustion chamber while it sits.  If you ran fuel with ethonol then what you suggest could happen more frequently. 

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 05, 2018, 12:26 PM »
I suppose if I were you, I MAY feel that way but I spent quite a bit of time as a mechanic myself and have never had an issue.  No ethonol ever means no chance of condensation from water seperating from the alcohol in the combustion chamber while it sits.  If you ran fuel with ethonol then what you suggest could happen more frequently.

Most of the time if you get a rusted up piston ring during storage it’s going to be from high humidity in the storage getting into the engines intake or exhaust system . If you have enough water in your fuel system to effect the way it runs that’s another issue.  That’s why I recommended fresh fuel with treatment. Both treatments I recommend  will also help with water in fuel. Also the engine isn’t collecting water from the fuel tank during storage because it’s not running

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Mar 05, 2018, 12:45 PM »
Lol Trap....I thought it was going to be a shaming video calling out guys for peeing on the ice!   ;D
[/quote.       I have never complainted about anyone relieving themselves on the ice the fish do that ......i have only complainted that if your going to scream about trash then pick it up

Offline firstcast 2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 05, 2018, 01:05 PM »
My ion auger I take the battery off and stand it in the corner till next winter

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Mar 05, 2018, 01:10 PM »

Most of the time if you get a rusted up piston ring during storage it’s going to be from high humidity in the storage getting into the engines intake or exhaust system . If you have enough water in your fuel system to effect the way it runs that’s another issue.  That’s why I recommended fresh fuel with treatment. Both treatments I recommend  will also help with water in fuel. Also the engine isn’t collecting water from the fuel tank during storage because it’s not running

Its a miracle my tanaka even worked then!  You can be right if you'd like.  I don't care to win the internet today.  Its Monday and I am tired! 

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Mar 05, 2018, 01:40 PM »
FT I don’t use 50:1 , I run a little richer and for the last 12 years it starts within 2cranks  if Thats wrong guess I’ll continue to be ,😉 I had a model  30 Jiffy  for 20 yrs and had the same results but it wasn’t seafoam back then

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 05, 2018, 01:58 PM »
I drained all the gas from my STRIKE MASTER last spring and I had to replace a rubber grommet in the side of the gas tank because it dried out and started leaking gas.  From now on I go back to the old way. A full tank of gas, new plug, and run for two minutes the first of every month. Also WD-40 on the blades. Never had a problem until I drained that gas tank.

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Mar 05, 2018, 02:14 PM »
FT, did you ever do the  drone video  on Lake George ?

also, in this video it was mentioned to replace blades on the auger if needed,...... but I was wondering if you plan on doing a video or have any tips on touching up, or sharpening blades and cutting heads on hand augers and power augers.

and IYO, What is the absolute #1 best oil or grease to use on auger blades to prevent rust, for during the season....... and for summer storage.   You mentioned using the fogging oil on the blades, anything else just as good or better?

Also...I am getting ready to store my snowmobile for summer...it is an older 2 stroke, what would be the best way to store it until next December?...same as auger in the video?
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Mar 05, 2018, 02:16 PM »

This right off the strikemaster website
 http://
b) Wet tank storage: Make sure to fill tank at least 1/4 full with fresh, stabilized fuel. Run the engine for 5 to 10 minutes. Then shut off and open fuel cap slightly to reduce the chance of pressure or swollen tank. For optimal storage, run engine once a month for 5-10 minutes.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Mar 05, 2018, 03:45 PM »

also, in this video it was mentioned to replace blades on the auger if needed,...... but I was wondering if you plan on doing a video or have any tips on touching up, or sharpening blades and cutting heads on hand augers and power augers.

and IYO, What is the absolute #1 best oil or grease to use on auger blades to prevent rust, for during the season....... and for summer storage....you mentioned using the fogging oil on the blades, anything else just as good or better?

Also...I am getting ready to store my snowmobile for summer...it is an older 2 stroke, what would be the best way to store it until next December?...same as auger video?

I'd go with the  manufacturers recommendation choo choo

when I  worked  for  Honda  and  went to Honda  school one of the  biggest issues  was people  not following  manufacturers recommendations ..... you can do  what ever you want  but you risk voiding warranties and possible  damages to your motor .....

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 05, 2018, 04:03 PM »

and IYO, What is the absolute #1 best oil or grease to use on auger blades to prevent rust, for during the season....... and for summer storage.   You mentioned using the fogging oil on the blades, anything else just as good or better?

Also...I am getting ready to store my snowmobile for summer...it is an older 2 stroke, what would be the best way to store it until next December?...same as auger in the video?

Sorry I didn’t get any more drone footage. On my last few trips it was just too windy.

As for sharping blades that’s a tricky one. I personally will just replace them. If you mess up the cutting angle it won’t cut correctly. Also want to keep them cool if you do sharpen them you don’t want to mess with the temper of the blade. If I was going to couch up my blades if use a small air grinder with rollocks with a fine grit.

My favorite anti rust spray is going to be fluid film. Works great for coating metal to keep rust off. I also use it for lubing cables and that type of stuff. When I made the video I wanted to keep it simple and use products that people might have at home already.

Same steps can be used on the sled. Only difference is that your going to treat the fuel in the tank. Fill it up with fresh gas and take it out for a spin to get everything mixed up and ran into the carbs. You can use the same fogging steps. And inspection. You might also want to change the chain case Oil at this time.

Just for a peace of mind I’m not just winging this. I am an automotive gas and diesel master tech. I’m also a certified briggs and STRATTON technician . I also own and operate a small Engine repair business in the capital area.

None of the routine maintenance above or in the video will void any type of warranty’s

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 05, 2018, 04:10 PM »
FT I don’t use 50:1 , I run a little richer and for the last 12 years it starts within 2cranks  if Thats wrong guess I’ll continue to be ,😉 I had a model  30 Jiffy  for 20 yrs and had the same results but it wasn’t seafoam back then

I never said it was wrong but your not going to get the same corrosion protection. The the biggest factor is storage is climate. If you keep it in a dry area you might not ever have a problem but if stored in an area with high humidity you could have an issue.

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Mar 05, 2018, 04:31 PM »
Sorry I didn’t get any more drone footage. On my last few trips it was just too windy.

As for sharping blades that’s a tricky one. I personally will just replace them. If you mess up the cutting angle it won’t cut correctly. Also want to keep them cool if you do sharpen them you don’t want to mess with the temper of the blade. If I was going to couch up my blades if use a small air grinder with rollocks with a fine grit.

My favorite anti rust spray is going to be fluid film. Works great for coating metal to keep rust off. I also use it for lubing cables and that type of stuff. When I made the video I wanted to keep it simple and use products that people might have at home already.

Same steps can be used on the sled. Only difference is that your going to treat the fuel in the tank. Fill it up with fresh gas and take it out for a spin to get everything mixed up and ran into the carbs. You can use the same fogging steps. And inspection. You might also want to change the chain case Oil at this time.

Just for a peace of mind I’m not just winging this. I am an automotive gas and diesel master tech. I’m also a certified briggs and STRATTON technician . I also own and operate a small Engine repair business in the capital area.

None of the routine maintenance above or in the video will void any type of warranty’s
Thank you ft for the tips and advice....much appreciated.
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #26 on: Mar 05, 2018, 04:46 PM »
I followed pretty close to what strike master suggests
  But I do fog both my outboards

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Mar 05, 2018, 04:54 PM »
I followed pretty close to what strike master suggests
  But I do fog both my outboards

My company also does winterization on boats and shrink wrapping. The main reason why 2 strokes will seize up during storage is because exhaust port leaves the piston and cylinder exposed to the air. And that can bring moisture from the airs humidity into the engine.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #28 on: Mar 05, 2018, 05:50 PM »
I do things a little different with 2 strokes. I get 'em running then add a bunch of extra oil to the mix. Make it smoke like a James Bond smoke screen even to the point of running rough. Choke it till it dies, pull the string until you feel resistance. Done. Not only top end "fogged" but bottom end has been liberally oiled as well. Leave the tank fueled, apply any cosmetic exterior applications and store.

In the late fall, pour the highly oiled gas into your lawn mower/tractor or whatever (thereby diluting the excess oil), refuel with fresh, replace the spark plug and let 'er rip. Worked a charm for 30 years on any 2 cycle: auger, weed whacker, chain saw, outboards... whatever.

EZPZ.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Mar 05, 2018, 06:04 PM »
While I haven't watched the video, your replies are good information FT.
The 4 stroke and even newer 2's are finicky indeed. 
I'm not a fan of wd-40. It's a light lubricant,  basically for unscrewing nuts & bolts. Pretty much useless as a moisture inhibitor.
PB blaster is a huge step up but still not a long term protection.  Royal purple is almost the best spray lubricant,  moisture on the market. Yeah,  the last 2 stink like heck. But they will un stuck frozen piston and last about 6 months in a damp environment.
If you really want protection on your external metal parts , wipe them down with a gear oil,  or synthetic grease. 
It's messy yes , but if moisture conditions are heavy such as a shed, garage or basement,  it's the only suffice.

Also as you suggest,  fog the cylinder and carb.  Again,  royal purple is good.
Most all gas lines and gaskets dry rot without a lubricant. 2 cycle oil also deteriorates the hoses.
I like to run them dry and disconnect to check conditions.  If they are stiff or spungy,  it's easier to think about changing them now instead of when it's time to go.

Now all this means nothing to me as my converted 1 arm 1972 bandit sits in the garage since I got my never fail nils hand auger 9 years ago:)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.