Author Topic: Med and large med shiners  (Read 856 times)

Offline Ltrain

• IceShanty Rookie
Med and large med shiners
« on: Oct 13, 2021, 01:34 PM »
Hi
I’m looking to sell shiners over the winter.  I’m looking into buying 2 470 gallon show tanks, 6x5x2

My question, how many med shiners can fit in one and how many large shiners can fit? 

Thank you

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Med and large med shiners
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13, 2021, 02:55 PM »
Once you figure out your legal and tax responsibilities, you will likely close up shop and just go fishing.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 13, 2021, 07:54 PM »
Once you figure out your legal and tax responsibilities, you will likely close up shop and just go fishing.

For real I tried buying spikes in bulk and selling them and by the time I sold enough to get my.koeny back ice season was over
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 13, 2021, 08:26 PM »
I've always wondered if it'd be money to sell oxygenated bags of minnows to convenience stores. They're good for a week before you have to swap water, and they can be kept in the same fridge as the cups of crawlers.
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #4 on: Oct 14, 2021, 07:26 AM »
Hi
I’m looking to sell shiners over the winter.  I’m looking into buying 2 470 gallon show tanks, 6x5x2

My question, how many med shiners can fit in one and how many large shiners can fit? 

Thank you

Once you have the legalities of it figured out, go to your local bait store and bend their ear a little bit. May not want to tell them you're going to be selling them...competition you know. Maybe something like you're wanting to keep enough of them to last the winter.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 15, 2021, 06:03 PM »
Growing up in Ohio our little " Band of Brothers " always dreamed of owning and operating our own bait shop. About 10 years after all of us  completed our military tours of duty. Our luck ran out as our dream became a reality. After struggling to keep afloat for about 8 years. We finally realized this was no way to enjoy life.

Selling live bait seems easy. But you soon find out your money goes out of your hands in gysers and comes back in like little spurts from a dried up well. Long hours and very little monetarial reward makes long days seem like an eternity. No matter how early we opened and /or how late we closed. Customers would complain about us always being closed when needed most. Depite being open 17 hours out of a 24 hour day.

It was not all bad we need meet some great people.  But all us lost money over that period of time. Despite all our services to the public. Like repairing rods and reels , fixing Coleman lanterns , light gunsmith work etc etc etc.

Short of someone maintaining an illegal drug habit. I can't think of a faster way to get rid of money. Our favorite joke was when a customer decided he was going to open a bait shop like ours. They thought since the parking lot was full a lot of the time. That we were busy getting rich. Those that did actually try to do it. Went out in less than  two years. Most did not last one full season.

Just one sad little story on how money goes up in smoke. Prior to the Memorial Day weekend we loaded up on live bait. This 3-day weekend was our biggest money producer. 1500.00 of live bait mostly minnows and night crawlers. Was delivered that Thursday afternoon. We opened up to abnoxious odor 6 am friday morning. All the bait had died. Seems shortly after we closed our neighborhood where the shop was lost power. It was back on when we opened up. Never knew about the power outage till a local guy came in and told us.

So if you think  you will be more clever on operating and will be successful. Not to worry we thought we had all the answers too.  :P
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2021, 05:32 AM »
tanks can and will go bad sooner or later.  if you use more but smaller tanks its less of a loss if one goes bad.  carrying capacity would depend on the filter system and temp.  back when i flathead fished a lot, i would keep a plastic barrel tank in my basement.  it could hold 40 3-4" gills no problem.  all it had was a 2liter bottle with filter sheets in it and fountain pump running through it.  it hung high over tank and aerated when it fell back in.  no air pump at all.  my basement stays cool though and that helps the most.

i too would advise against the bait market unless your going to collect and turn them all over in mass.  there is a reason the mom and pop bait shacks have disappeared in this land. couple people already elaborated on that. lol  great way for you to save money though!!!!!  i quite buying shinners when they went up to $2.50 a doz.  dont even remember how many years ago that was.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Online SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Oct 16, 2021, 03:07 PM »
A midget clairvoyant  escaped from jail.

They put out an APB for

a

small

medium

at

Large

:P
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com