The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Google Earth Bathymetric/Contour Maps  (Read 36681 times)

Offline TooLucky406

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Google Earth Bathymetric/Contour Maps
« Reply #60 on: Jan 10, 2013, 10:45 AM »
HELLO fellow Ice Shanty....do i have something GOOD to share for you guys!! ;D FWP just updated thier bathymetric line for MT lakes...and from the quick glance of the data, it has the Helena chain of lakes, except Holter, and it looks really good! Also notice they have Big Horn lake too, but sorry no Fort Peck. Need some input from you guys. I've been trying to upload the kml on to my phone but so far not  working (HTC Thunderbolt). Thinking it's a size limitation, because I can get other kml to run. So if "ci2019" can share how he is doing it, would greatly appreciated. By the way, running the kml off free app called KMLZ to earth app. Any way, back to the,"needed" input by you IS folks, would it work for you guys if I broke up the bathymetric kml by FWP regions, thus making it smaller and compatible to smart phone, or west, central, east, etc. So let me know. I'll be working on this today and hopefully have it done before this coming weekend......also I DON'T take $$$$ donation, just secret spot waypoints and really good micro beer!!! And thanks bowhtr for the heads up!

Offline adam_mcd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Jan 10, 2013, 10:49 AM »
Dude you won't have to bring beer out on the ice for quite awhile.  If you end up in the Bozeman area I'll have some cold ones waiting for you on top of my spots.  I'm not a smart phone guy so I have no preference there.  Just putting it into GE is enough for me.

Offline Bmarler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Jan 10, 2013, 11:47 AM »
Yes i think breaking them up by area would be a hood idea.

Thanks for sharing

Offline TooLucky406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Jan 10, 2013, 01:26 PM »
All right folks, the UPDATED barometric lines for Montana is now up and running. You can find the link and LOTS of info on the ORIGINAL POST (page 1).  Due to additional lakes, it grew significantly, so I had to break it up by FWP regions(no barometric for Region 6). The zipfile contain all 6 kml. Please read the installation process, since it has now change a bit. Enjoy! ;D

Offline ci2019

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Jan 10, 2013, 01:29 PM »
HELLO fellow Ice Shanty....do i have something GOOD to share for you guys!! ;D FWP just updated thier bathymetric line for MT lakes...and from the quick glance of the data, it has the Helena chain of lakes, except Holter, and it looks really good! Also notice the Big Horn too, but sorry no Fort Peck. Need some input from you guys. I've been trying to upload the kml on to my phone but so far not  working (HTC Thunderbolt). Thinking it's a size limitation, because I can get other kml to run. So if "ci2019" can share how he is doing it, would greatly appreciated. By the way, running the kml off free app called KMLZ to earth app. Any way, back to the,"needed" input by you IS folks, would it work for you guys if I broke up the bathymetric kml by FWP regions, thus making it smaller and compatible to smart phone, or west, central, east, etc. So let me know. I'll be working on this today and hopefully have it done before this coming weekend......also I DON'T take $$$$ donation, just secret spot waypoints and really good micro beer!!! And thanks bowhtr for the heads up!

What I did was downloaded your zip and extracted the KML.  Then I used ES File Explorer (free app) to navigate to where I extracted the KML file to.  I just tap on the KML file and it automagically opens it in the Earth app.  Don't know if the phone or OS makes a difference for sure but I'm running a Galaxy Nexus on the Jellybean 4.2 operating system.

Offline ci2019

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Jan 10, 2013, 01:42 PM »
All right folks, the UPDATED bathymetric lines for Montana is now up and running. You can find the link and LOTS of info on the original post.  Due to additional lakes, it grew significantly, so I had to break it up by FWP regions(no bathymetric for Region 6). The zipfile contain all 6 kml. Please read the installation process, since it has now change a bit. Enjoy! ;D

You weren't kidding when you said they were bigger!  Great job and thanks for the doing that TooLucky!!!!!  Works great on my phone too.  Albeit it takes a bit to load the layer.

Jon

Offline ci2019

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Jan 10, 2013, 02:12 PM »
I take that back.  R3 pukes on my phone.  Works very well on the PC app though.

Offline shawdawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Jan 10, 2013, 02:14 PM »
Nice work, these are great.  Of course the one I wanted (causeyway arm isn't there but nice to the others.

Offline Slamminsalmon22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Jan 10, 2013, 03:38 PM »
Anybody get these to open on their iPhone? If so how'd ya do it?

Offline TooLucky406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Jan 10, 2013, 03:50 PM »
FYI:  Just letting everyone, that I had to redo Region2, due to the label not reading correctly.  If you're not anal like me, don't worry about "re-downloading" the NEW zip.  All the data/lines are the same.....as far as iphone viewing kml, sorry man, android guy here, but search YouTube. I am using free app called KMLZ to Earth Explorer.

Offline Stephan_K

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Jan 10, 2013, 07:50 PM »
FYI:  Just letting everyone, that I had to redo Region2, due to the label not reading correctly.  If you're not anal like me, don't worry about "re-downloading" the NEW zip.  All the data/lines are the same.....as far as iphone viewing kml, sorry man, android guy here, but search YouTube. I am using free app called KMLZ to Earth Explorer.

Droid guy here too...... I found a way to get this file into google maps so it can be used on a droid with GPS while mobile with no PC tether.  If there is an easier way to use this file with a GPS I'm all ears.  Anyhow, log into google and go to maps, create a new map and import the kml file.  Only trick is that the files has to be further broken up.  Can't be larger than 3mb.  How did you break the original file up ?  I'm interested in breaking it up into individual lakes and hoping that none are over 3 mb.  If so then they have to be broke down even farther.  Then create a map for each lake and just load that one when heading out to it. 

Offline TooLucky406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Jan 10, 2013, 08:17 PM »
@Stephen K, the original file is in shapefile format and can be found on the    MT FWP website. I used ArcMap, a GIS base software to break it up and converted. Thing is, you're not going to get any of the more popular lakes among the shanties here less then 3MB, unless you massaged the data, in which you will lose accuracy! You can probably get the small high mountain lakes to be less then 3MB, but no one ever fish them. I'm currently in the process of getting it to be Gamin compatible, but it's more work then the kml conversion. It'll be awhile before I'll get this done, just loaded with bunch of work right now, but I'll post it up once it's ready.

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Jan 10, 2013, 08:38 PM »
What file format do you need to put it in to get it in to Garmins? I write GIS software for a living so if you need an export selection from ArcMap as a button in ArcMap I can probably do that for you in C++ or C#. I would need to know the output format though and if they use a projection that is different then the original shape file I would need to know that too so I could do the transform on the way out. PM me if you want help with this.

Offline TooLucky406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Jan 10, 2013, 09:47 PM »
PM Sent! Thanks!

Offline Stephan_K

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Jan 10, 2013, 10:30 PM »
Thing is, you're not going to get any of the more popular lakes among the shanties here less then 3MB

And that is exactly what I was afraid would be the case !  Just being optimistic I guess.  And that garmin conversion is a WHOLE LOT of work...... if it were simple everyone would be doing it ! 

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Jan 10, 2013, 11:29 PM »
soo this thread is making me feel VERY computer illiterate...

Offline TooLucky406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Jan 11, 2013, 08:37 AM »
@lundin-loading

Not sure if it's just sarcasm, but PM and I'll try to help in any way!

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Jan 11, 2013, 12:50 PM »
Thanks for the offer toolucky, I think navionics is taking care of most of my needs but if I do decide I need to figure this out I will get in touch.

Offline The Rezerend

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Jan 11, 2013, 07:32 PM »
Thanks a bunch TooLucky406!!!! Just got everything downloaded on my laptop and its awesome. I'll be getting my iPhone Monday so I'll have to figure out how to get it on there. This should help a bunch when I'm fresh to a lake.
A bad day fishing is better than a good day working.

Offline clintonkee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Jan 14, 2013, 01:37 PM »
This is great!!

Any one have an idea on how i could print these off, to bring on the ice ???

Offline Smoov iced

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #80 on: Jan 14, 2013, 04:16 PM »
Thanks for the info

Offline TooLucky406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Jan 14, 2013, 05:28 PM »

Any one have an idea on how i could print these off, to bring on the ice ???

This is assuming you have the kml install on Google Earth. Once GE is up and running, zoom into the area/lake you want to print. Go to FILE => SAVE => SAVE IMAGE AS. Remember where you save the JPEG/JPG. Now go open the image(double click it).  If you are satisfy with the image, go ahead and print it.  Depending which program you have for default viewing of pictures, you'll find the printing options. Hope this help, if not PM me for additional questions. Thanks!

Offline mtjim66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #82 on: Jan 14, 2013, 05:32 PM »
Another way to print a google Earth image is to select File then Print.  Then click the radio button that says "Screen shot of the current 3D view"
In the beginning, God created the heavens and the Earth; and it was good.  A couple of days later God created the fish, animals and the birds, which was also good.  An indeterminate time later, the US Congress created the endangered species act, and things have never been the same since.

Offline clintonkee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Jan 14, 2013, 08:40 PM »
Awesome!   @)

Offline Pastor B

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Jan 14, 2013, 10:26 PM »
This was really helpful when I went to Pishkun this Saturday!  Caught a few perch, and had a really late start on the day!
Play hard!  Pray hard!

Offline elktalk101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Jan 15, 2013, 01:35 PM »
I appreciate the new maps. I am going to take advantage of these.

Offline wirehairman

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Feb 14, 2013, 04:45 PM »
This thread should be pinned, IMO.

Offline MT-Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Dec 01, 2013, 10:40 PM »
I just downloaded the files and when they overlay google earth, the whole map is covered with giant "X"s and the underlying map is severely faded out. I get the impression that google earth doesn't like using these files. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Offline TooLucky406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Dec 02, 2013, 10:48 AM »
Looks like FWP did another update to the Bathymetric data and at the same time removed some of the lakes/data due to ownership of the data, ex: Tongue River Res is now removed. I'll try to add some of the new lakes into the current data. As far as "MT-Ed" about the "giant X", I'll try to split some of the Region's lakes up into three parts(Region 3 & 5 are huge data sizes; causing crashes/errors) to something like Region3_1, Region3_2, Region3_3, etc. I'll update when I am finish, but it might be some time, since work is busy right now and Free Time is hard to come by, especially with the ice forming this week! Any questions, just PM me. Thanks!

***All data, download info on MT Bathyemtric can be found on the very FIRST post, for folks new to this***

Offline MT-Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Dec 02, 2013, 06:03 PM »
Thanks TL.....no hurry on my part, I'm still able to use them, just not as clear as in the past. I think I'll rename the old files if the new ones have changes.

ed

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.