Author Topic: Rod Holder / Tip-Down / Windlass idea  (Read 25627 times)

P Gottshall

Rod Holder / Tip-Down / Windlass idea
« on: Dec 15, 2004, 03:52 PM »
I really liked sbfPA Mike’s PVC rod holder design.  I also like the HT rod-holder I picked up for $1.79 at Farm  & Fleet, which basically props up both ends of the rod.  I also would like to have a tip-down, & why not a windlass while I’m at it?

So, in total boredom today, my son & I made all four at once.  I figure we have about $1.50 wrapped up in this.

PVC is wonderful stuff!

Too much time on my hands with no ice (notice the green grass in central-IL in the 2nd picture),
Paul

ps - checkout all the "inventions" I've been accumulating in http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=15334.0

Here's my copy of sbfPA Mike’s  idea:
(see http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=14548.msg119881#msg119881)

Can also suspend the pole:

A stiff 1/8" wire makes it a tip-down:

Bend the wire up & add a stiff piece of plastic, & it's a windlass.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Rod Holder / Tip-Down / Windlass idea
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2004, 04:23 PM »
Way to use your noggin' there. Let us know how they work out for you. Good Job!!!
Ken                                          

Offline Spud_bar

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Poppin' Swedish Pimples since '96
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2004, 05:00 PM »
that's the epitimy of cheap but effective. very practical and THANKS FOR SHARING!!! I may have to build one or two. better patent that idea!
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Offline bucketmouth

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have an ice day!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2004, 06:54 PM »
nice design!  Mmmm ButterPecan....

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • love them square tails!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2004, 06:55 PM »
Hey, thats a really good design!! thanks for sharing! :tipup:
Anthony

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2004, 09:30 PM »
Hi Guys:
    Can someone tell me what program I am missing--all I get for these pictures are little boxes with red "X"'s inside. I have tried right clicking and "show picture" but,to no avail.
  I do get a pop-up for sharemation but just close it.any help would be appreciated. Thanks

P Gottshall

« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2004, 09:37 PM »
Tombo,

You're not missing anything.  I'm seeing the same boxes; Sharemation.com has a problem tonight.  Again.  Try again later.

FYI - I moved my pics from sharemation.com to photobucket.com, as I've had this problem several times.  Hopefully pics will be regularly available now.

Paul

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2004, 10:13 PM »
Thanks Paul--I thought maybe I needed a different program to see them....as you can tell I'm not all that computer literate.
Nifty designs,I might have to try and build me some of those. I hope you get ice pretty soon-I know what waiting is like. I just got out today,first time on the ice this year, although we have had safe ice for a week or so now,I just haven't made it out untill today.
   This is late for us(in Sask. Can.) but it's been extremely mild so far. I didn't get to my favorite spot,consequently,I only got a few tulibee(C+R....not eating those things) but shack goes out this weekend on a honeyhole(I hope) then I should get perch and walleye with the odd Northern thrown in just to test my line.
Thanks again and good luck on the ice this winter
Tombo

Offline bucketmouth

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have an ice day!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2004, 04:46 PM »
Paul, a couple of questions.  I built one of these and was wondering about a few technical issues.  Is there any way to secure your rod to the hanger in such a way that the monofilament isn't seated against the hanger along with your rod handle?  It'd be nice to fine tune my drag so that the fish can rip some drag rather than try to pull my rod in but as it is the mono is seated/pinched in the bend of the hanger. 

Also, do you have any ideas to secure the hanger in the holder so that it can't possibly pop out under load from a fish.  It's possible that part is just a construction flaw on my part but I can see the wire hanger "popping" out when the fish has taken the bait and my rod nosediving into the drink.

Any suggestions?

Thanks and Great Design!

iceshack05

P Gottshall

« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2004, 11:16 AM »
jigwiggler is right, just bear in mind that you'll need to pick up the rod/wire assembly when fighting the fish.

To prevent losing your rod, the best suggestion I've seen is to tie a string between your rod & the holder.  The fish I'm catching rarely hit that hard, but it's a good precautionary measure.

You could drill holes through the PVC & run the wire through them.  Then the whole thing would be pretty secure.  The only drawback is, to be able to pickup your rod, you'd then need to run the line over-top of the wire, which is what you were trying to avoid in your first question.

Paul

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2005, 09:38 AM »
WOW imimpressed!!!!!! that is awsome man. thanks for sharing that for sure. im off to the store,lol muahaha.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline kingfshr16

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2005, 09:15 PM »
 I built a rod holder off that same design and im very happy the wya it came out, thanks for posting your idea.  ;D
Jason

fish_hooked

« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2005, 07:53 AM »
A possible update to the design....
Run your notches that the wire sets in on the PVC further down and instead of a loop in the wire for the rod to set in ... find the balance point for your rod, drill a small hole through the handle and run the wire through the rod handle.  If your still worried about losing your rod down the hole, make the wire a couple inches wider than the size of auger hole you typically drill.

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2008, 04:21 PM »
Looks to me like more to drag out on the ice .JMO

Live to fish forced to work

Offline pascoag icefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 29, 2008, 06:34 AM »
thanks for the idea.

:tipup: :tipup:

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #15 on: Mar 29, 2008, 06:57 AM »
Now add the slammer mode.....
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 29, 2008, 07:10 AM »
Now add the slammer mode.....
Great idea and looks like a wonderful invention.  :clap: :clap: :clap:
Besides the slammer mode maby one of those little mini bungee cords on the handle end of the rod{when in non windlass mode} to keep a big one from snatching it outa the holder. 8)
And just one more question,"Why not become a member then Ya would`nt have to sign in under guest and Ya get a whole new handle of Your choosing. ;D :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #17 on: Mar 29, 2008, 08:12 AM »
like this.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.