Author Topic: Fishermanjake  (Read 6935 times)

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
Fishermanjake
« on: Jan 17, 2004, 10:35 PM »

WEll i thought i would target ya becasue you seem to have the best results...What i would like is a typical day of LING fishing for you. If you could take a day and fish for ling and Chart the results. Time of hits sizes and when you stopped. This way i can see how many you get compared to what your doing..what baits ect to see what im doing wrong..If this is at possible.Thanks. Tight lines all.
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
Re:Fishermanjake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2004, 08:26 PM »
sounds like your doing everything right.  try a new spot,  I don't chum beforehand, but it would work especialy for a lake.  It took me a year of targeting burbot to actually catch one, but after i did i practically get them every time. dusk-11,  bounce the bottom, tip the lure with bait,  find some structure like a rise in the bottom where they are likely to feed. If you haven't done that don't move just yet.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2004, 08:31 AM »
Nope done it all...But i don't know if i should use a different spot yet. Im baiting the next time alot. Like maybe 4 pounds of dead carcasses then il hit them the next nite. LAst time i tried them we had 3 people. 6 lines total. Glow jigs minnows alive ...minoows dead. SOme bouncing furiosuly other slow lift jigging. I think it might have been location on this one. Not alot of cover where we were so maybe they didnt come by that way?? Ill try over by more rocks and stuff this bottom was a little sandy. See its not a very big lake at all so i sort of figured we might have had a nice chance. I also had set 2 of my lines near a rock face just to see if it was location but they wernt as close so i couldnt check as regualarly and they wern't jigeed just topped with dead minnows. Im going to get some glow jigs like you haVE AND TRY  the big jigs. When your jigging for them are you fast jigging then sit for a few secs? or like like just jig...jig...jig....? Just curious. Thanks alot jake this will help me out.TIght lines you LINGmaster you.
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2004, 01:50 PM »
i'd almost try another lake,  we've caught all ours on mostly sandy/silty bottoms, in some lakes they actually make burrows.  you might try a rocky spot, but i don't think weed cover will be as productive, i could be wrong though.  I'd try another lake...where are you located...Also i do the best in rivers, thats where i target them mainly.  So if you have a frozen river with them in it, give it a try, but be careful on the river ice.

grumpymoe

« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2004, 04:08 PM »
fishermanjake   you're the man!! dont tell germ all your secrets  ;D ;D i've never seen them caught in weeds. they are predominantly bottom feeding on gravel, silt and sandy bottoms. they do and will eat alot of walleye and perch when available. what's your best night so far this season??? grumpymoe  >:( >:(

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2004, 05:52 PM »
Alright jake will try another Body of water this next trip i go out and tell ya how i fair. I just want to get into some nice ling meat! Thanks for the advice jake gretaly appreciated and don't listen to grumpymoe give me all the secrects lol. Tks again. Tight lines!

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2004, 06:13 PM »
25 is my best this season for 4 hours i think.  i lost about what i caught, their mouths clamp so strong that you can't always get your hook to turn, and with six pound test you don't get the force to turn it.  so you think you got them hooked and they get up to the bottom of the ice and then spit it.  Anyway that night i had 5 over 8 pounds, the biggest being 14.5.  8 pounds is a state trophy.  and they averaged about 5-6 pounds.  But like i said i lost as many as i caught if not more.  Only two breakoffs, but on the hooksets...who knows how big they were.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2004, 06:25 AM »
Just curious Jake how old you are? And how long you been fishing LIng. ANd do you eat all these ugly buggers? YOu like the taste compared to other fish like trout and perch and white fish etc etc. Just like to know what you think overall of these fish since you seem to be well qualified to tell us. Thanks again. Tight lines!

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2004, 09:15 PM »
Just curious Jake how old you are? And how long you been fishing LIng. ANd do you eat all these ugly buggers? YOu like the taste compared to other fish like trout and perch and white fish etc etc. Just like to know what you think overall of these fish since you seem to be well qualified to tell us. Thanks again. Tight lines!
I'm 21 and i've been fishing burbot for almost 4 years.  I've done quite a bit of independant study about burbot, pretty much whatever is available, including scientific biological discussion.  I eat them and enjoy them quite a bit.  On a scale of one to ten for the taste, 10 being the best ive ever had, 1 being the worst; i'd give them an 8 or a 9.  They have a pretty good flavor to them.  They have a somewhat different texture to them then other fish, and a flavor compareable to cod.  the only qualm i have about the flavor is that when you skin them, the fat/membrane between the meat and the fish had a different texture that i don't like, but that isn't noticeable when its fried.  There isn't a whole lot of popularity to them, so becoming an expert doesn't take as long.  They don't usually fight really hard for their size(i disagree with anyone who claims they do), but due to their large average size, it doesn't really matter.  They are very agressive, and i believe it is another myth that keeping bait still is better than jigging (Barlydog will vouch for that).  The biggest plus for them is they are most active at night, and with 4 hours of daylight here in december that really helps.  So overall they are one of my favorites to target.  

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2004, 06:38 AM »
It is nice to have someone Like you on here that seems to really enjoy fishing for them. I wish to be able to target them like you but we dont get no where the size that you do..Or at least i don't get anywhere the size you do. I would love to and brag to my friends regarding their great taste but havent ever given my friends any to eat. They are like gold to me. On a average week how many would you keep? Also what are your favorite recipes for them? Im going to try all that you have given me as far as hints and tricks and let ya know just how it works..But i think like you said it might be the body of water im on and ill need to relocate till i can target them successfully like yourself. Keep up the good work jake and thanks for all your help. TIght lines

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2004, 02:41 AM »
I usually keep them if they are over 5 pounds.  They are really good breaded and fried, but i like to just simmer pieces in butter because its really good and quick and easy.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2004, 06:44 AM »
Well Jake consider yourself lucky because i would be excited to see one over 5 pounds . I usually get them from 1-4 and i keep them all. LOL they still have their diapers on Jake. ROfl But hey man that is what im accustomed to so....Beggers can't be chooser's. Tight lines

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2004, 06:39 AM »
[Jake man you still fishing out there man? Seriosuly post your fishing everytime you go out for Ling and what your using and Size please...Im so excited about ling that i don't mind living the experince thru you. LOL anyhow would be nice to here your outcomes each day...SO brag on Jake id love to hear it man. Tight lines!

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2004, 12:06 PM »
sorry germ, i haven't been since i got back...and next trip to go for mainly lakers and arctic char.  But there are burbot in that lake so i might get one or two.  Went snowboarding this weekend, man am i sore 8).  anyway i'll keep you posted on the burbot, i might try to get out on the river again once i get my auger repaired.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2004, 05:20 PM »
Forget that snowboarding man get on the hardwater and catch some ling. LOl hehe just joking man..you have plenty of time when your older to be lazy... go be young. Hit the pipes instead. Go do a reversal backside air or some cool trick with a name like that lol. Tight lines!

perchfisher90

« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2004, 11:37 PM »
Hey fishermanjake, how old r u? I am 15 and don't meet a lot of people my age.

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2004, 12:29 AM »
look to the top of the thred, i'm 21....so i'm a little up on you still

perchfisher90

« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2004, 11:08 AM »
Ok ;)

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 29, 2004, 03:12 PM »
Ya he's got at least 6 years on ya lol Go on Jake you can take him...SMack smack...ROfl. Ok guys post the stories about Eelpout and if you want some nice reading check out perch section in this forum and  the how big are jumbo 's in it and thers a great story to read there. Tight lines all. Oh ya im headed for ling this Weekend Thinks i might pick up a Pirnaha Fishfinder to let me know when they are there. You use a fish finder at all jake?

trapperdirk

Re: Fishermanjake
« Reply #19 on: Feb 11, 2004, 09:14 AM »
 Are you coming up here to get some ling Germ .? I have to see if I have and old tent kicking around for a diaper for you if I do . LOL
  We shall get you a ling bud . I may even go out tonight and give them a whirl . I just can't stand your crying anymore , for the lack of ling . LOL .
   Damn now the Germ even has me going to chase them while our lakes are full of species such as brookies, lakers ,walleye and pike .
   Germ you should work for the CIA as a reprogrammer because you sure know how to get your point across with tortuos conversation . LOL

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Fishermanjake
« Reply #20 on: Feb 11, 2004, 10:51 AM »
How do you know i dont...Think about it a GERM infests and either kills its victims or makes them very weak....Thats what i do on this forum lol Infest...Just remember keep your friends close and your enimies closer. Tight lines all. Now go out and get me some ling Trapper...Make it a big boy not one of the ones i catch..Id love to see one in the 5 pound mark even...not the 1-3 i catch. ROFL tight lines!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.