The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Auger Speed  (Read 9537 times)

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Auger Speed
« Reply #90 on: Dec 25, 2014, 07:24 AM »
those were pretty common augers. should be at least a few guys in your area using them. take yours to a popular area ,n, see if you can find someone who,ll let you put yours next to his. should be able to see if blade pitch is off. wire

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #91 on: Dec 25, 2014, 09:19 AM »
Musky, If I buy a new auger it will be $400.  I can get the drill unit for $120.  That is a good idea wirenut.  My boss has the same auger.  I will have to wait until after he gets back from Christmas vacation.  In the meantime, I am going to try to bend it some more at the lake and keep drilling until I get the pitch right.

Offline bwhuntnfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #92 on: Dec 25, 2014, 03:49 PM »
I have this same auger.  File the point! If it's not sharp on its edges the blade never gets to the ice to cut.  Trust me.  It will drill better with a sharp tip and a dull blade than a dull tip and a sharp blade!

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #93 on: Dec 25, 2014, 05:00 PM »
The point is pretty sharp, not razor sharp though.  I guess I can file it sharper.

Offline hawkeye68

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #94 on: Dec 25, 2014, 07:19 PM »
my buddies wouldn't drill he had the bolts holding the blade on in the wrong way

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #95 on: Dec 25, 2014, 07:32 PM »
I have an 8" Mora hand auger that I use for backup and for thinner ice.  I don't think it will fit without modification.  Plus, I don't think it will handle the torque.

It will handle the torque just fine, I use my gas with a 6 inch mora for an earth auger in the summer, deck posts and such...

I suggested that because you can get the blades everywhere... It would need to be modified to adapt but should work great when done..

<*)))>{

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #96 on: Dec 26, 2014, 09:18 AM »
My friend has a laser mag 2000 10", it cut like crap until he put new blades and point on there. The point was the most important.  Another friend has a strikemaster with chipper blades that are all rusty and it still cuts ok?  I guess his point is sharp although I never checked. If your auger has new blades... I consider welding a new point on there, maybe its the angle of the points' cutting edge, sharper the better.  It is hard to imagine the angle of chipper blades matter as much as the angle of shaver blades. I would get that tip razor sharp especially if you thing somebody used it as an earth auger.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.