The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Auger Speed  (Read 9539 times)

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Auger Speed
« Reply #30 on: Dec 21, 2014, 12:41 AM »
Put a new point and blade on it frst.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Dec 21, 2014, 05:55 AM »
Buddy had the same issue; he would always drill a half hole and leave the auger standing upright in the hole. The weight of the power head bent his flyte. Have you checked if the flyte is still true?

Offline SnoHam13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Dec 21, 2014, 10:53 AM »
if it has been dropped and one of the blade mounts bent it will not work well [per strike master service dept.]
picked up a used one a few years ago and had to get the auger re calibrated [ bent back into place]
works like a charm ,have to pull up a bit to slow it down on cutting speed in soft ice

SnoHam13

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 21, 2014, 11:26 AM »
Well, it may have been dropped, because it has a broken handle.  I'm not sure if the previous owner left it upright in a half-hole or not.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #34 on: Dec 21, 2014, 12:01 PM »
Well, it may have been dropped, because it has a broken handle.  I'm not sure if the previous owner left it upright in a half-hole or not.
That could be when other damage occurred.      >:(         Only a few degrees off on the blade angle is not good, almost brain surgery to check that.   Grr.

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #35 on: Dec 21, 2014, 12:48 PM »
if it has been dropped and one of the blade mounts bent it will not work well [per strike master service dept.]
picked up a used one a few years ago and had to get the auger re calibrated [ bent back into place]
works like a charm ,have to pull up a bit to slow it down on cutting speed in soft ice

SnoHam13
Heh SnoHam did you send in your auger assembly to have it straightened or did you just use an educated guess and do it yourself? I had one last year show that no cut characteristic spin around do nothing crap even though the bit was razor sharp. Have any idea what the mount angle is or is it level to the ice?

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 21, 2014, 02:28 PM »
I may have to find someone who has the same shaft and look at theirs to judge the correct blade angle.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #37 on: Dec 21, 2014, 02:46 PM »
You may find one of these helpful with comparing angles.

Offline SnoHam13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Dec 21, 2014, 02:47 PM »
Heh SnoHam did you send in your auger assembly to have it straightened or did you just use an educated guess and do it yourself? I had one last year show that no cut characteristic spin around do nothing crap even though the bit was razor sharp. Have any idea what the mount angle is or is it level to the ice?

we were over in the twin city's and made a side trip to the shop [strike master] and they fixed it wile we had coffee there
the tech showed me how far off it was,re set it and a new set of finn blades for 40.00
before it was fixed it would drill a 14'' hole once you got it into the ice [after chasing it around on top of the ice]
and you guy's holler about 10'' holes  :roflmao:

SnoHam13

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 21, 2014, 04:14 PM »
I have a sliding T-bevel, Idaho.  Thanks, I will try it.  I think I may have to get a hold of Strikemaster to see if I can send it in.  Does anyone have their phone #?  It isn't listed on their website anymore, ever since Rapala took over.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #40 on: Dec 21, 2014, 04:37 PM »
Try a new power point and blade... your blade is probably out of whack and point dull. Be smart to try that before spending $50 in shipping and paying SM to say all it needed was a new point or blade. Feeling sharp and being in ice cutting condition are two different things.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Dec 21, 2014, 04:49 PM »
Kevin, the blade is brand new, never used before and razor sharp.  The point is welded to the shaft.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #42 on: Dec 21, 2014, 05:15 PM »
Try a new power point.

You're repeating yourself again Kevy, Sam Ting on Reply # 30.      :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline DAPOS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 21, 2014, 06:11 PM »
Hey Gator, what do you do over there in the zoo? Got any equipment available to check things out?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #44 on: Dec 21, 2014, 06:20 PM »
Hey Gator, what do you do over there in the zoo? Got any equipment available to check things out?

Just my mind, in response to one of those questions.   ;)2

The other, I'll take the Spock on, "I do not understand the question".    :woot:

So, if you still don't have anything to say, silence will feign intelligence.    ;D   

Offline DAPOS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Dec 21, 2014, 06:26 PM »
Just my mind, in response to one of those questions.   ;)2

The other, I'll take the Spock on, "I do not understand the question".    :woot:

So, if you still don't have anything to say, silence will feign intelligence.    ;D   

My request was for wyogator, he'll know what the zoo is, lighten up on the narcissism dude!!

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Dec 21, 2014, 06:27 PM »
I don't live in Zoola anymore, Dapos.  I live in Malta now.  I guess I need to change my location on my profile.  If I still lived there, I could find a Strikemaster dealer to take a look at it.  I just took the drill unit off and checked it out.  Everything looks fine as far as I can tell.  I lightly took a file to the point.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Dec 21, 2014, 06:29 PM »
I forgot to add, I'm a teacher.

Offline DAPOS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Dec 21, 2014, 06:42 PM »
Cool, thought you might have a shop to set up a means to slowly spin the auger and check for any bends.....

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Dec 21, 2014, 07:52 PM »
I do have a shop.  I could come up with something.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #50 on: Dec 21, 2014, 09:24 PM »
I do have a shop.  I could come up with something.
If you could turn it horizontally and watch the point. it should always be in the same place. Maybe attached to a lathe.
<===Lefty===

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Dec 21, 2014, 11:33 PM »
I don't think I can get the rpm low enough on the lathe.   Besides, it would take some real ingenuity to attach the drill to it.  I think a better way is to build a horizontal wood frame with a half-circle cut out on one end for the upper shaft and a v cut in the other end with a spade bit for the point.  I could glue a dowel or thin piece of wood to line up the flights.  The only thing I won't know is the proper angle of the blade.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #52 on: Dec 22, 2014, 08:24 AM »
Simply roll the auger horizontaly across a flat true surface and check the flights against the surface  for contact points and points of no contact.  Mark the bent area with a marker if truly bent 180 deg from the mark should be another bend in the shaft.  From all I have read my personal opinion is go to the problem I almost think you blades are out of whack maybe where the bolts to the Flights it is bent from pushing down If you have a friend with a gas auger or even a hand auger check angle of blade with a angle finder or degree wheel against yours. Also did you put the blades on? are they right side up? did you sharpen the point? I mean if you have Ice take some tools with you and go to a lake and work on it to test after each fix you put on it. Or simply just order a new flight and cutter

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #53 on: Dec 22, 2014, 09:22 AM »
Sounds very very slow to me. I would pass on the new fancy lighter weight augers with low horse power and get a good old jiffy mod 30. At 3 hp my 25 year old 8"Jiffy auger will do 15 inches of ice in about 15 seconds or less.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Dec 22, 2014, 10:07 AM »
This is an old auger, at least 10-15 years.  It has a 2hp engine.  I don't think the engine is the problem though, eriksat.  It doesn't bog at all.  The blade doesn't seem to want to dig.  It just spins around, unless I push down real hard.  Cold feet, I already rolled it on the floor like you suggested, the flights seem fine.  I am trying to figure out if the point is off center.  I Am starting to think it is not the drill unit, but when it bolts into the shaft on the power head, it's a little off center from not having a tight fit.

Offline Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Dec 22, 2014, 10:13 AM »
Older strikemaster also just plain out don't spin as fast either my buddy has a 20 year old laser mag and mine is a year old mine easily spins the auger at twice the rpm. I think they may use a different ratio in the transmission in newer auger and older auger is only going to cut so fast compared to newer ones reguadless what you do to it.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #56 on: Dec 22, 2014, 10:17 AM »
Yes I remember those old ones, my friend had one it seemed like it was turning in slow motion.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Dec 22, 2014, 10:32 AM »
Well, I mean, it'll still drill.  If it takes 1 min 20 sec, it still beats a hand auger.  What am I going  to do when the ice is 28" thick?

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Dec 22, 2014, 10:38 AM »
Maybe I can try to shim the shaft on the power head with a pop can, to make a tighter fit.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #59 on: Dec 22, 2014, 10:43 AM »
Drill for 2 min 29 seconds. Can you feel a vibration at all? You should be able to feel it wobbling all over the place when you start to drill if the flighting is bent. If the blade is brand new then it could be the blade angle. The way the chipper is designed it needs to bite a precise amount through the auger bit if that makes sense. If it ever had dull blade someone might have pressed down on it which bent the mounting area amd changed the blade angle. If your point isnt sharp then it will spin like a top unless you force the point in the ice with a lot of pressure. You can cut it off and weld a new one on if need be.
EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.