Massachusetts > Ice Fishing Massachusetts

A Slushy Hellscape on Plainfield Pond

(1/4) > >>

bogtrotter:
Today, I took a drive to Plainfield Pond..

The weather wasn't bad.  Intermittenty sunny and cloudy, with occasional snow flurries.

But the ice conditions were horrendous. 

There was a layer of slush - - varying from 4" in some spots to 12" in others, over about 14" of poor quality ice.

"Adding" to the experience, there were lots of snow-covered holes.

While most of them were small enough that your foot wouldn't get too wet even if you stepped into it, I managed to step into a larger one up to my ankle.

Even worse, I found (although, thankfully, I did not step into) one that was 18" across -  and did my good deed for the day by breaking a branch from the shore into pieces and erecting a "tee-pee" over it.

When I arrived about 10:30 AM, there was a guy from Springfield, who had gotten there around 8 AM, and reported landing a couple pickerel and a couple perch.

There was also a party of four from Savoy, who got there around 9:30 AM and reported no action.

Mogli and his girlfriend joined me around 11:15 AM., and spent most of our time jigging in companionable silence (punctuated by occasional conversation), while keeping an eye on our tip ups.

By the time we left around 2:30 PM, all of the others had already left.

During that entire time, we didn't have a single flag or strike on either a jig or dead stick, nor did we see anyone else get one.

Man, if feels good to be home and wearing dry socks!

Ryan51993:
Only tried Plainfield once, landed one tiny pickerel. Between the long drive from where I live and the lack of action I was never in a hurry to return. Still jealous that you got out though, every day on the ice is precious at this point in the season.

lowaccord66:
Nice work Jim.  Returning now from cancun with a sunburn.  Looming forward to some ice.

bogtrotter:

--- Quote from: Ryan51993 on Mar 05, 2023, 02:41 PM ---Only tried Plainfield once, landed one tiny pickerel. Between the long drive from where I live and the lack of action I was never in a hurry to return. Still jealous that you got out though, every day on the ice is precious at this point in the season.

--- End quote ---

Like a lot of spots, Plainfield tends to be very hit or miss. 

I have caught some decent pickerel there, and know someone who caught a 24" one as well.

And, although I've never done it myself, I've seen others pull some good-sized large mouth out of there.

bogtrotter:

--- Quote from: lowaccord66 on Mar 05, 2023, 03:27 PM ---Nice work Jim.  Returning now from cancun with a sunburn.  Looming forward to some ice.

--- End quote ---

That's quite a contrast (Cancun to New England).  I've been working on my own "red neck tan" (windburn) myself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version