Author Topic: Prep time!  (Read 1687 times)

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Prep time!
« on: Dec 02, 2022, 07:17 AM »
Man I love every fishing season. I think the OCD in me likes prepping for each season almost as much, lol. Respooling some rods, getting tip ups ready, cleaning the sled, tying flies and jigs.
Busy at work but got a start of about 30 tungsten jigs made. Made some glow jigs this year and gonna try them out. Hope to make a bunch more over next weeks and give my buddies some jigs for Xmas. Happy prepping and hope everyone got some good holiday deals.

Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Prep time!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2022, 07:24 AM »
I got everything ready to roll a couple weeks ago... just waiting on the weather now. 🤞🤞🤞

Next week's forecast looks pretty good after Wednesday, but given the accuracy of forecasting in general I'm trying not to get too excited yet.

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2022, 08:09 AM »
ftwayne, great job on the jigs! Are you using UV on them? I've used fluorescent paint for years. I believe it often makes a difference. Putting a couple of dabs on spinner baits and cranck baits when fishing for walleye and bass at night I'm convinced helps with the bite!
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2022, 08:11 AM »
ftwayne, great job on the jigs! Are you using UV on them? I've used fluorescent paint for years. I believe it often makes a difference. Putting a couple of dabs on spinner baits and cranck baits when fishing for walleye and bass at night I'm convinced helps with the bite!
Teach

I don't really do much painting since in off ice season I mostly fly fish. Used some uv glow thread when tying and some uv resin on top.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2022, 02:15 PM »
Man I love every fishing season. I think the OCD in me likes prepping for each season almost as much, lol. Respooling some rods, getting tip ups ready, cleaning the sled, tying flies and jigs.
Busy at work but got a start of about 30 tungsten jigs made. Made some glow jigs this year and gonna try them out. Hope to make a bunch more over next weeks and give my buddies some jigs for Xmas. Happy prepping and hope everyone got some good holiday deals.

Those look awesome.

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2022, 09:04 PM »
Those look great FTWwalleye?  Must feel great to have talent, I tend to break more than I fix, although I'm always fixing something.

Offline wlatrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2022, 12:39 AM »
   Nice jigs, hope to see you on the ice this winter.

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2022, 07:12 AM »

Getting closer and antsy. Got basic jigs tied and trying some different stuff now.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2022, 07:18 AM »
Hoping maybe the 20th or so on smaller, shallow ponds. AW and TWC have both been trending the forecast temps lower and lower the past few days. ;D

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2022, 09:52 AM »
Hoping maybe the 20th or so on smaller, shallow ponds. AW and TWC have both been trending the forecast temps lower and lower the past few days. ;D

You could be right if forecast holds. It won't be much but could be just enough in right spot. 105 on the sally will be one of those first spots to freeze.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2022, 09:56 AM »
You could be right if forecast holds. It won't be much but could be just enough in right spot. 105 on the sally will be one of those first spots to freeze.

Yeah, it won't be cold enough for a good freeze up everywhere in that span, but if they're close some spots should be good to go mid/late week before Xmas.

2 weeks is a long ways out in forecasting, so I'm trying not to get myself too riled up just yet. It's promising, though.

Offline JDH46151

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2022, 01:46 PM »
Yeah, it won't be cold enough for a good freeze up everywhere in that span, but if they're close some spots should be good to go mid/late week before Xmas.

2 weeks is a long ways out in forecasting, so I'm trying not to get myself too riled up just yet. It's promising, though.

Definitely promising but anything after 7-10 days is just average historical temps.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2022, 01:55 PM »
Definitely promising but anything after 7-10 days is just average historical temps.

AW models out farther. Sometimes they're fairly close, and other times they're way off the mark.

Offline dearjimschmidt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2022, 09:56 AM »
Been doing spring bait prep here!

Got plenty of ice stuff packaged and ready to go.

River City Baits - Fort Wayne Indiana

Offline JDH46151

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2022, 09:41 AM »
Scheels had free shipping yesterday with no minimum purchase so I picked up $20 worth of line and jigs.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.