Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Augers

Ion Alpha Gen3 in da fish house

(1/5) > >>

Van Noord:
Ok, well not yet exactly lol.
But it is in my actual house!

I sold my Gen1 IonX and picked up the new Gen3 Ion Alpha Plus 10" on Oct 27th.

So far I'm really impressed with the design and build quality.

Initial observations:

- Very light obviously, so light that when you remove the blade cover..it feels even lighter!

- This is Ion's first time abandoning the wide, bicycle handlebar design. The replaced it with a more square handle and frame design very reminiscent of SM. A wise choice IMO.

- All the electronics are positioned on the throttle side of the handles only. Good design and likely easy for repairs.

- Has a variable trigger, so it's not 0-60 immediately if you don't want it to.

- Uses the same locking type switch to secure the battery as the G2. Seems to function okay with a slight bit of battery wobble. Time will tell as this design is new to me.

- The aluminum frame that the handlebars attach to it's very nice and rigid. It even extended past the handles for impact resistance. The snowmobile guys are going to love this feature.

- The top logo portion of the auger as well as the handles are made of a tough rubber.

- Has a small hex key storage attachment on the power head.

- Compatible with all Gen1 batteries and accessories.

- The reverse switch is simply located above the throttle button.

- Has new Ion "Turbo" blades. These are designed and sharpened at a different pitch/angle and are said to help the auger cut faster and more efficiently.

I also have an 8" Ultra light bit for it. Here is a photo of the 10" next to my 8" 24v SM.

joesp:
Interested to hear how this works for you this year. I went the SM route due to their handle design looking more robust.

missoulafish:
I checked out the new Alpha series at Scheels and cant say I was super impressed. I definitely prefer the ergonomics of G2 over G3

missoulafish:
makes sense to me:) Looking forward to updates on how the G3 works for you VN.

fishingaddiction:
Ha! I just posted questions about this new auger... how do you think the bit construction compares to the gen 1? Is it tougher?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version