The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Does anyone else hear the robust lady singing?  (Read 2082 times)

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Does anyone else hear the robust lady singing?
« on: Mar 13, 2022, 06:53 PM »
If not, you probably will before the week is out.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Does anyone else hear the robust lady singing?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2022, 07:16 PM »
Check out my post about Pelham Lake in Rowe - - where I was pleasantly surprised to find 18+ inches of ice today.

Offline PerchMan45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2022, 07:25 PM »
I found 16” in the Pittsfield area today but the edges were sketchy in spots.

Offline ronbgood55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2022, 07:06 AM »
The FAT LADY will be SINGING very loud THIS WEEK of 50/60 F weather here in MASS. and with the HIGHER GAS prices it will be the FINAL. I got a lot of good memories  of this season...NEW stuff that worked..The BIG ones that got away...the smell of fish frying....and talking with a bunch of GOOD guys on-line...and of course the thoughts / hope of the next ice fishing season and at my age its not at the PEARLY GATES...LOL

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2022, 09:40 AM »
I got new hearing aids. I heard her 2 weeks ago

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2022, 10:35 AM »
Not a fan of fat women like some of you.  Hate this cliche....

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2022, 01:14 PM »
I chuckle every time I see this type of thread started (usually from someone in areas that don't have ideal ice making conditions) and replies from people in areas that are hell-and-gone from the areas that are where the post was originated.
I'm not faulting anyone, because it's more of a "There's still some ice to be found if you want to travel" reply.

Here in MA, if you live anywhere east of the 495 belt, you probably see open water.

I could travel north, but as mentioned, the price of gas is now a deciding factor.

Luckily I do have a "transitional period" option when the ice is going "bye-bye".
There are some places where the March sun (and some seasonal temps) will warm up the waters enough to get some striped bass to bite.
I've done it a number of times when the ice went sour in early march, and I usually have some luck.

So, barring a long road trip, my ice season is pretty much over for the season.

Fortunately I did happen to land my PB largemouth a couple weeks ago. fish was 24" long and was probably in the 7-9 lb. range.

Although the locales and methods might be changing, you can  usually count of the fish to cooperate to some degree!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

Offline W8t B8t

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2022, 03:11 PM »
Had to explain this to my kid about 5 times
In March you can lose 8 to 12 inches in a day depending on the pond
Around March, as the air warms and the sun gets more intense, the snow melts, allowing light to penetrate the ice. Because the ice acts like the glass in a greenhouse, the water beneath it begins to warm, and the ice begins to melt FROM THE BOTTOM.
When the ice thickness erodes to between 4 and 12 inches, it transforms into long vertical crystals called "candles." These conduct light even better, so the ice starts to look black, because it is not reflecting much sunlight.
Warming continues because the light energy is being transferred to the water below the ice. Meltwater fills in between the crystals, which begin breaking apart. The surface appears grayish as the ice reflects a bit more light than before.
The wind comes up, and breaks the surface apart. The candles will often be blown to one side of the lake, making a tinkling sound as they knock against one another, and piling up on the shore. In hours, a sparkling blue lake, once again!

Last modified: March 18, 2008

Offline PerchMan45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2022, 08:03 PM »
That’s well said, and I will be calling it a season after this week!

*Maybe* will get out one more time

Offline wardo888

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2022, 12:10 AM »
Just had my last outing yesterday…. In Maine. I like to tell myself “today is it for the year.” Put the ice gear in the attic. Makes it easier to let go of the ice and embrace the open water that’s already here.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2022, 07:58 AM »
I always like the adage "When the ice goes grey, it's time to stay away."

I found this out years ago while fishing. No breaking through, but I was able to scuff the ice with my boot and was able to dig down a few inches.
Even though there were 6-8" I knew it was my last trip on the ice at the pond I was at.

I always keep the ice condition in mind.

Offline Rangerboats391

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2022, 08:00 AM »
getting the boat ready, had a good season, good luck everybody ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.