Massachusetts > Ice Fishing Massachusetts

Does anyone else hear the robust lady singing?

<< < (2/3) > >>

lowaccord66:
Not a fan of fat women like some of you.  Hate this cliche....

fishermantim:
I chuckle every time I see this type of thread started (usually from someone in areas that don't have ideal ice making conditions) and replies from people in areas that are hell-and-gone from the areas that are where the post was originated.
I'm not faulting anyone, because it's more of a "There's still some ice to be found if you want to travel" reply.

Here in MA, if you live anywhere east of the 495 belt, you probably see open water.

I could travel north, but as mentioned, the price of gas is now a deciding factor.

Luckily I do have a "transitional period" option when the ice is going "bye-bye".
There are some places where the March sun (and some seasonal temps) will warm up the waters enough to get some striped bass to bite.
I've done it a number of times when the ice went sour in early march, and I usually have some luck.

So, barring a long road trip, my ice season is pretty much over for the season.

Fortunately I did happen to land my PB largemouth a couple weeks ago. fish was 24" long and was probably in the 7-9 lb. range.

Although the locales and methods might be changing, you can  usually count of the fish to cooperate to some degree!

W8t B8t:
Had to explain this to my kid about 5 times
In March you can lose 8 to 12 inches in a day depending on the pond
Around March, as the air warms and the sun gets more intense, the snow melts, allowing light to penetrate the ice. Because the ice acts like the glass in a greenhouse, the water beneath it begins to warm, and the ice begins to melt FROM THE BOTTOM.
When the ice thickness erodes to between 4 and 12 inches, it transforms into long vertical crystals called "candles." These conduct light even better, so the ice starts to look black, because it is not reflecting much sunlight.
Warming continues because the light energy is being transferred to the water below the ice. Meltwater fills in between the crystals, which begin breaking apart. The surface appears grayish as the ice reflects a bit more light than before.
The wind comes up, and breaks the surface apart. The candles will often be blown to one side of the lake, making a tinkling sound as they knock against one another, and piling up on the shore. In hours, a sparkling blue lake, once again!

Last modified: March 18, 2008

PerchMan45:
That’s well said, and I will be calling it a season after this week!

*Maybe* will get out one more time

wardo888:
Just had my last outing yesterday…. In Maine. I like to tell myself “today is it for the year.” Put the ice gear in the attic. Makes it easier to let go of the ice and embrace the open water that’s already here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version