Massachusetts > Ice Fishing Massachusetts

Electric Drill Auger ....Type for a grumpy old man

<< < (2/6) > >>

Ryan51993:
Unfortunately everyone thinks their setup is the best so you will get a million answers and going the cheap route can end up being more expensive in the long run. I went with the Milwaukee fuel hammer drill (you have to get the 250-300$ one, I've seen people with the cheaper ones and they barely work). I also went with the strike master lite flite auger. I believe its both the lightest and the fastest drilling auger so its easier on your drill and batteries than some others. Don't do the hand auger conversion, its nowhere near as good, much heavier and rougher on the drill. The clam plate is 100% a gimmick, if you can put a screw into a 2x4 you can drill a hole through ice with nothing more than the handle that comes with the drill. I've drilled thousands of holes with my setup and never once found it dangerous or thought it needed to be any easier in any way.

hardwater diehard:
This may be the cheapest option out there will get the job done not my first choice .. as I run a cordless drill set up . Do you want a 6" hole or are all options open?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GBL6C7V?pd_rd_i=B07GBL6C7V&pd_rd_w=g3h9e&pf_rd_p=6cdbaaba-9971-4351-a601-4ac01495563f&pd_rd_wg=rKxwk&pf_rd_r=3JSH9Y67Y2B46WQD3Q2E&pd_rd_r=41b72156-085e-4bd4-b8e1-26bf1fa7ba45

lowaccord66:

--- Quote from: Ryan51993 on Mar 11, 2022, 06:23 AM ---Unfortunately everyone thinks their setup is the best so you will get a million answers and going the cheap route can end up being more expensive in the long run. I went with the Milwaukee fuel hammer drill (you have to get the 250-300$ one, I've seen people with the cheaper ones and they barely work). I also went with the strike master lite flite auger. I believe its both the lightest and the fastest drilling auger so its easier on your drill and batteries than some others. Don't do the hand auger conversion, its nowhere near as good, much heavier and rougher on the drill. The clam plate is 100% a gimmick, if you can put a screw into a 2x4 you can drill a hole through ice with nothing more than the handle that comes with the drill. I've drilled thousands of holes with my setup and never once found it dangerous or thought it needed to be any easier in any way.

--- End quote ---

Not everyone, why I didnt even mention what I run...and the reduction gears in a clam plate will absolutely save an older persons wrists and I know someone much younger whose milwaukee broke their wrist this year....Ive never had an issue either but it does happen and also neither of us are 85....

Chawk190:
Ugh, now I have to tell my kids they bought me the wrong drill/auger for Christmas according to Ryan51993

OldTowner:
I'd stopped ice fishing when I moved to NH because of a hundred reasons, a new heart valve being one. For Christmas my son-in-law bought me a Vevor auger off Amazon. Not a name brand but so far, with my Ryobi 18v drill, I've drilled well over a hundred holes with no problem. Yesterday it drilled through 28" of ice and used one bar on an older battery. I had the drill so it was worth a shot and so far I'm more than pleased. I wouldn't go with the Vevor over others mentioned as it's an off brand. As far as wrists, I don't push down hard and it slices through the ice fine with no kickback.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version