Massachusetts > Ice Fishing Massachusetts

Stop and READ the ICE....

<< < (3/4) > >>

Gills-only:

--- Quote from: Snitch#8 on Mar 12, 2022, 09:51 AM ---I guess we have differing opinions.  A spud certainly helps to determine if the ice is honeycombed or not.  First off when you hit the spud onto the ice you can hear a difference between honeycombed and good ice.  If I hit it and the sound doesn't resonate with a thud, I'm backing up.  Or if I hit it and it goes through on one or two hits, like it does on thin ice I'm backing up.  I have hit thick honeycombed ice and not only did the spud go through right away, it blew a quart size jar hole with one hit.  If you hit your spud onto the ice and see crystals instead of chips, back up!   You apparently have a misconception that if the ice is honeycombed, it is "all" honeycombed, which is not the case.  You can be standing on solid ice and two foot away it can be honeycombed because of a muddy bottom vs a hard or rock bottom, etc.  Muddy bottoms tend to warm up quicker from the sun light, allowing the water to drain down though the ice quicker than a hard bottom.   I have seen it rain at my house and across the road they are cutting the dry grass.  One part of the lake could have gotten rain soaked and the other didn't, there are any number of reason why ice conditions vary on a lake.  For those out there that are new to the sport, please take my advice, learn how to use a spud.  Please remember that every spud is not the same.  One may make a certain sound on good ice and another may sound totally different!  Get to know "your" spud and stay safe!

--- End quote ---
.    My experience speaks for itself, that is for the “lesson”! Lol

Atta Boy!:
Two words; Common Sense  :o

fishercat:

--- Quote from: Atta Boy! on Mar 13, 2022, 01:59 PM ---Two words; Common Sense  :o

--- End quote ---

The one problem with that is common sense went out in the 80’s

Gills-only:

--- Quote from: fishercat on Mar 13, 2022, 06:33 PM ---The one problem with that is common sense went out in the 80’s

--- End quote ---
.   That’s for sure, I’m a older model way before the 80’s !! Lol

isaaccarlson:
We had 3 feet of ice here a week ago.  I won't go out any more this season.  The temps are in the 40's or 50's this week and the sun is higher.

People say "there's plenty of ice", but it's not the thickness that matters.  You can have 3 ft of rotten ice.  We were safely driving on it last week, but it was cold then.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version