Author Topic: Hard case for 8 rods?  (Read 1639 times)

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hard case for 8 rods?
« on: Nov 30, 2021, 01:40 PM »
I carry (8) 30” rods, and currently use two of the Otter Outdoors Sportsman's rod cases. The case is solely for transport to/from the lake. Once I get to the lake, I move them all to the rod holders in my flip-over.

I would like a single rod case that will accommodate (8) rigged 30” spinning rods without collapsing the handles.

Further, I want to use the case for off season rod storage.

Looking at both the Ice Fishing Innovations and Otter Pro-Tech rod cases. I know they are both overpriced, big, and heavy……. but 2 of the Sportsman cases are a handful, and again they are only for transport & storage.

Thanks!
Mark

Offline manning1987

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Hard case for 8 rods?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2021, 08:54 AM »
Looking for the same thing. Storage to and from the lake. Otter one looks big and bulky but legit.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2021, 09:25 AM »
I have the Scheels rod case. It's big, heavy and pricey but offers great protection as well as off season storage. Only about half of the time I bring it on the ice but it's always in the truck so I can grab whatever rods I need for the day and put them into the rod holders on the wheeler when I get to the lake. It also has plenty of tackle storage as well. I think it has cut outs for 10 or 12 rods but 8 is more realistic for as you mentioned not have to fold the reel handles...

https://www.scheels.com/p/scheels-outfitters-ultimate-2.0-ice-combo-case/08227100172.html?store=&gclid=CjwKCAiAvriMBhAuEiwA8Cs5lSPRTbq7PFaM60Zsi3lGXYaqS0qdsEB5C4LPCVBzwCXZCaeWCDsvlhoCDowQAvD_BwE
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2021, 10:03 AM »
I would suggest the Scheels rod case that was mentioned already. 

Ice Fishing Innovations also makes a deluxe rod case that I think holds 6 rods up to 32".  You are already looking at this one. 

I use the Otter Sportsman cases that have been discontinued like you do.  Hate to see that - this was a good case.  Agree with you that it is a little hard to use, but they work. 

If you don't mind the soft side cases, you can always find the cases that would hold up to 12 rods, and put in golf club tubes to insert the rod during storage or travel.  Sounds like you don't have the long rods yet, so this may be the way to go if you don't want to spend alot of money. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2021, 02:05 PM »
Only hard cases for me. I stuff all my gear in the back of an SUV, and it gest very dangerous for gear back there.

The Scheels and Ice Fishing Innovations look to only have 6 rod slots and are advertised to hold 6. Will either accommodate, or be modified to accommodate 8 rods?

Otter Pro-Tech 40 is advertised as holding 6-8 rods, and only 6 for the 40 deep. The Otter Pro-Tech 48 is advertised as holding 8-10, and the 48 Deep as holding 8. Although I would like to stick with the 40” case, I’m afraid that 8 rods without organization panels would be a problem. Looks like the only option would be the 48 deep?

I’m happy with the Sportsman’s rod cases, but a single case for all 8 rods would be much more convenient. Just not sure the steep price on the 48 deep is worth that convenience.

Thanks,
Mark

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2021, 02:15 PM »
Another idea would be to find a Rubbermaid stackable case and lay in some towels to separate and protect the rods.  Saw this in a video from Matt Johnson Outdoors.  He sounds like he does the same as you - rods ride in the truck until you get to the ice.  Gives you the protection you are talking about, and stacks up for storage.  Look up his video on Youtube and you can see his thoughts on this. 

Here's a link to give you an idea of what he was talking about:

https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Cleverstore-Stackable-Containers-Organization/dp/B08HR4K9Y5/ref=sr_1_21?crid=FJO7XBISLVQ0&keywords=rubbermaid+wrapping+paper+storage&qid=1638475846&sprefix=rubbermaid+wrappi%2Caps%2C207&sr=8-21
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2021, 02:19 PM »
Only hard cases for me. I stuff all my gear in the back of an SUV, and it gest very dangerous for gear back there.

The Scheels and Ice Fishing Innovations look to only have 6 rod slots and are advertised to hold 6. Will either accommodate, or be modified to accommodate 8 rods?

Otter Pro-Tech 40 is advertised as holding 6-8 rods, and only 6 for the 40 deep. The Otter Pro-Tech 48 is advertised as holding 8-10, and the 48 Deep as holding 8. Although I would like to stick with the 40” case, I’m afraid that 8 rods without organization panels would be a problem. Looks like the only option would be the 48 deep?

I’m happy with the Sportsman’s rod cases, but a single case for all 8 rods would be much more convenient. Just not sure the steep price on the 48 deep is worth that convenience.

Thanks,
Mark

The Scheels case will hold at least 8, I believe the foam is cut to hold 10 or 12? I can put up a pick of mine loaded up when I get home later...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2021, 03:14 PM »
Here's my Scheels case with 8 rods and spinning reels with the handles unfolded, I could fit 2 more without folding the handles but it would be tight and 4 more with folding a couple handles...

Offline manning1987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2021, 09:27 PM »
Frabill XL Ice Combo Rod Case | Protective Case for Up to 15 Ice Fishing Combos, Gray https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BTQGQT4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_S6K51J9Q16HWE1B57H7X

Offline manning1987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2021, 11:17 PM »

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2021, 06:51 AM »
Thanks for the pics! That is exactly what I needed to see, the Scheels case is #1 on my list, and the Frabill is added to the list.
Thanks everyone!

mkuiper

« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2021, 07:39 AM »
Could always make your own out of pelican knock off like they have at harbor freight

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.