Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Smelt

eating smelts

(1/3) > >>

canada:
Ive never had and we dont catch them up here

I do see them in the grocery store.  what is the best method to cook and how good are they?

claymore6:
remove guts, leave heads, tails and fins on; dust with seasoned flour; fry in a 1/2 inch of oil for a few minutes; drain on paper towel; eat entire critter.

darkeyez:
We don't have them in lakes here either, but when getting them at a store I make them pretty well the same as claymore6 described, dust in flour and fry in Crisco.
The gentleman from Japan posted a bunch of them fried up, they looked delicious, maybe he will chime in on how he prepares them.

smeltbuster:

--- Quote from: darkeyez on Feb 06, 2020, 06:37 AM ---We don't have them in lakes here either, but when getting them at a store I make them pretty well the same as claymore6 described, dust in flour and fry in Crisco.
The gentleman from Japan posted a bunch of them fried up, they looked delicious, maybe he will chime in on how he prepares them.

--- End quote ---
That was probably Niru 04, he has become a good friend of mine. Anyways,one of his recipes is "Nanbanzuke". You can Google it & make it yourself. It starts w/ Tempura fried Smelt. It is a bit 'Sloppy" by our standards,but it is delicious.It is eaten cold. Hoping to get him to cook me up some authentic Japanese smelt dishes ,next winter. He is coming to Mich. to fish w/ me.

3300:
speedy chik uses a pair of scissors, run it up the out shoot and down to head then use thumb to slide guts out. always keeping the scissor in hand. didn't see them cooking them.

phil, sounds like a great time!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version