Massachusetts > Ice Fishing Massachusetts

Honey Hole ettiquette

(1/6) > >>

bumps:
OK, so here is my question?  If I have never fished a pond before and don't know much about it, is it bad fishing ettiquette to find a spot that someone has drilled holes in the past and set up shop?  Or is it first come first serve?  I certainly wouldn't want to step on anyones toes, but I also don't think anyone "owns" a spot on a lake?  Just interested in what other people think.

RyGuy:
If you got there at 5am you can have them.  No one owns the ice but if the pond is small don't get all up iun arms if someone else hops in next to yah!   ;D

icejunky:
Same here, if your first on the ice the hole is yours.....as long as you practice what you preach.

ice rambler:
It is a good idea to look around the existing holes for blood stains and/or discarded weeds. If snow is present, the number of times(foot prints) a given hole is visited may be indicative of action.

Anima1z:
Same - depending on the pond/lake I have fished with people less than 15ft from my flags.  Usually the more the merrier, and we share whatever we have.  I usually bring out plenty of food/drink, cigars... etc 
I do remember a long time ago I was with my friend and his dad and he cut through an old hole with his power auger and it bent the blade pretty badly so I do not do that, unless its with my chisel.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version