Canada > Ice Fishing North West Territories

ANY BIG PIKE BEING CAUGHT 20lbs or better

<< < (2/4) > >>

Drifter_016:

--- Quote from: oso polar on Feb 24, 2010, 07:15 AM ---i would suggest late march early april for targeting the big pike. the days are warmer/longer and the big girls seem to be a little more on the bite. i usually fish shallow that time of year, 8-20 ft of water. usually can pick up at least one 25lber every other time i'm out, and my best through the ice a couple of years ago was 38lbs. the big ones usually go back in unless gut hooked.
if you have a map of gsl it would help. i fish in amongst the islands in the north arm maybe 5km from yellowknife bay. if you take the kam lake snowmobile trail straight out towards the big lake it puts you right in the heart of big pike country when you reach great slave. it's actually not that far from trout rock lodge as the raven flies.
 drill some holes and drop a cisco down, you should be into pike. the action isn't usually fast and furious, but i have caught fifteen in an afternoon on occasion.
make sure you bring an auger extension, even though it's been a super warm year there i still bust through after the extension joint is in the hole, maybe 40"-45" of solid ice.
cheers

--- End quote ---

Now there's some good info.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I have snowmobiled out there on several occasions but never dropped a line.
Maybe I should, I would like to ice a 38 pound pike!!!   :woot:
If I could only tear myself away from the lakers.   ::)

TGF:

--- Quote from: Drifter_016 on Feb 24, 2010, 10:36 AM ---
Maybe I should, I would like to ice a 38 pound pike!!!   :woot:

--- End quote ---

Sounds like a fun thing to do on a spare day ;)

Drifter_016:

--- Quote from: TGF on Feb 24, 2010, 02:37 PM ---Sounds like a fun thing to do on a spare day ;)

--- End quote ---

I was thinking the same thing.   ;D

oso polar:
well we finally got out on sunday afternoon. took a bunch of friends out to "the camp" and dropped four lines in total. we managed 3 fish in 3 hours, 15lb, 13lb, and an 8lb. good eaters and i sent them home with all of the non-fishers in the group for a treat. sunny -3c and no wind, makes for an incredible day on the ice.
cheers
of course i forgot the camera :P

Drifter_016:

--- Quote from: oso polar on Mar 11, 2010, 08:27 AM ---well we finally got out on sunday afternoon. took a bunch of friends out to "the camp" and dropped four lines in total. we managed 3 fish in 3 hours, 15lb, 13lb, and an 8lb. good eaters and i sent them home with all of the non-fishers in the group for a treat. sunny -3c and no wind, makes for an incredible day on the ice.
cheers
of course i forgot the camera :P

--- End quote ---

You did better than I did on Sunday.   :whistle:
I went fer the skunk on the pike.
What depth were you fishing in? I fished 4 to 17 feet.

Saturday was a much better day as I went 3 for 4 on trout with several missed.
Nothing big but fun none the less. Fish were caught on a steep dropping point in 40 to 60 FOW with misses and bumps all the way out to 105 FOW.

I always knew I was a better troot fisherman than a poike fisherman!!!   :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version