Author Topic: Houghton area  (Read 2746 times)

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
Houghton area
« on: Dec 04, 2010, 06:02 PM »
Anyone seeing ice around here. Really wanting to get out, but classes have been keeping me from being able to check for ice  :-\. Hopefully I'll be able to take a look tomorrow if I can get my homework caught up tonight. Any info would be awesome. Thanks.

Offline DB Cooper

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Houghton area
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2010, 07:28 PM »
Out of the area so not first hand but a buddy said chassell bay was covered in skim ice. Copper harbor area would be a good place to check as would all the small potholes and lakes in the twin lakes area. Really wanting to get out also. Good luck scouting for ice, love to hear everyone's reports should be soooooooon!

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2010, 09:19 AM »
AC--Just made another rounder of Chassell, Otter and Sandy.  Chassell next to shore was three wacks with a dull spud.  It was dark but I'm figuring 1-1/2" - 2".  Otter still has open spots, some of which are relatively close to the launch...I didn't seen much sense in testing the ice.  Sandy had a Clam shack on it already.  Didn't drive back in all the way as I've been stuck there in the past and didn't want to relive the experience. 
Chris Raymond

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2010, 10:42 AM »
Thanks for the update Chris. I was planning on checking out Chassell and Otter about 1, guess I don't have to now though. Is the Sandy Lake your referring to the one south of Lake Roland? Sorry, not originally from up here and still getting familiar with the area. Supposed to be in the mid to high teens the next couple of days, so that should help make some ice. Maybe I'll try to make a trip out on Tuesday.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2010, 12:59 PM »
Is the Sandy Lake your referring to the one south of Lake Roland?

Yep, that's the one.  Hopefully this snow stops a bit before insulating the ice that is being made too much.  If so, I'll be out on Chassell this coming weekend. 
Chris Raymond

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2010, 04:06 PM »
From the looks of things the snow won't be stopping any time soon  :-\. Hopefully we'll still be building decent ice though.

Offline Outdoorsmen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2010, 11:54 AM »
i live in chassell so i can update you on chassell every day.. if you need... just message me... but chassell is getting sum ice decent enough..
Dusty Gagnon... you buy the bait i'll catch the fish!
:icefish:

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2010, 12:08 PM »
i live in chassell so i can update you on chassell every day.. if you need... just message me... but chassell is getting sum ice decent enough..

Thanks for the offer. Shouldn't be too long and we won't need to check it anymore  ;D

Offline Outdoorsmen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2010, 12:13 PM »
yeah it will be nice when you can just up and go somewhere whenever you want to........
Dusty Gagnon... you buy the bait i'll catch the fish!
:icefish:

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2010, 12:39 PM »
Anyone planning on fishing tomorrow?

Offline davemillertime

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2010, 02:57 PM »
Thanks for the update Chris. I was planning on checking out Chassell and Otter about 1, guess I don't have to now though. Is the Sandy Lake your referring to the one south of Lake Roland? Sorry, not originally from up here and still getting familiar with the area. Supposed to be in the mid to high teens the next couple of days, so that should help make some ice. Maybe I'll try to make a trip out on Tuesday.

Be VERY ,VERY Carefull on Sandy Lk..I Normaally  fish that every year &  the Ice this time of year is REAL SPOOKY ...Make sure you usee your spud ever step ...They probally got snow up to your  :tipup: & It makes that Ice VERY scarry ........

....LETS BE SAFE GUYS

Offline yooperdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2010, 06:05 AM »
dave is right on sandy lake. always lots of REALLY thin spots early, be smart and above all else be safe.
da splake chaser

Offline Prehnite44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2010, 10:10 AM »
Rice Lake is frozen (3+ everywhere I tried on sunday out from public launch). Be careful though.

Offline sunup

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Safety first. The fish will wait!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2010, 12:43 PM »
I measured 2" of ice and an inch of slush/water on top at the park in Chassell this afternoon.  Not enough for me.  The narrows on the North end just froze over the other night but the humps are still open water.
I went to pick up some crappie minnows from the Chassell bait shop and there aren't even any tanks in the garage any more.  Anyone know if there will be bait there this year?  Northwoods in Hancock might be the closest spot for minnows now.  I called them and next week some time they should have small and medium minnows in. They did have waxworms.

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2010, 01:06 PM »
I measured 2" of ice and an inch of slush/water on top at the park in Chassell this afternoon.  Not enough for me.  The narrows on the North end just froze over the other night but the humps are still open water.
I went to pick up some crappie minnows from the Chassell bait shop and there aren't even any tanks in the garage any more.  Anyone know if there will be bait there this year?  Northwoods in Hancock might be the closest spot for minnows now.  I called them and next week some time they should have small and medium minnows in. They did have waxworms.

Earlier this fall the guy in Chassell was having a moving/garage sale. Not sure where he's going to, but Northwoods will probably be closest now. I was just in there and that is what they told me for live bait as well. I asked if they heard of anyone fishing, they said no but heard from someone Chassell had 2". Must've been you  ;D

Offline wedkarz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2010, 03:25 PM »
My dad talked to Dan from the bait shop in Chassell about a month ago when picking up some fish mounts and supposedly hes gonna open up a bait shop on US 41 near the general store.  Not sure of the exact details but it would be a shame to not have a bait shop in Chassell, it was so convenient.

Offline Ukko

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 08, 2010, 07:23 AM »
Set up tipups south of where sunup checked, on 2 inches on Pike bay.  1 hammer handle, and missed a flag.   

Offline 63rfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 08, 2010, 09:52 PM »
Like someone said already rice has about 3-3.5 inches. Caught one 22 in. pike in 45 min tonight.

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2010, 07:41 AM »
Anyone been to Chassell recently? Gotta be getting close to 3 or so inches with the cold we've been having I would think.

Offline sunup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2010, 01:45 PM »
I had about 4" of ice/ frozen slush in front of the park.  There were some soft spots under the snow that hadn't tightened up yet and I didn't go towards the middle; it looked wet in spots.  Caught a couple pike, some small perch,a 6" crappie and a ruffe.  Nothing to brag about but I scratched the itch.

Offline davemillertime

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 10, 2010, 03:29 PM »
Nice Paaul ...I hope to get out soon Myself ...I think i might wait 1 more week ....Then I have 3 weeks off work  ;D so I THINK Ill get out a few times then

Offline sunup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 10, 2010, 10:38 PM »
I'm hoping we don't wind up with a ton of snow from this storm on top of this ice or we'll be fighting slush for weeks.  Going to try again next week when the weather settles.

Offline Westside Ben

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 23, 2010, 07:13 PM »
I went up to twin lakes today, the ice wasn't good.  Crust on top, maybe 3 inches of slush, then a few inches of crappy ice. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.