Author Topic: Looking for Gill/Crappie  (Read 785 times)

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
Looking for Gill/Crappie
« on: Mar 02, 2010, 12:41 PM »
Any thoughts on a good gill/crappie lake up here? I know a few down state, but have yet to find any up here yet. Was told Twin Lakes was good. Do you know where you head to from the access?

Offline Prehnite44

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Looking for Gill/Crappie
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2010, 04:45 PM »
For me, twin lakes has been really hit or miss for panfish in the winter. It's big enough that sometimes, you really nail a bunch of big panfish (pumpkinseed, bluegill, perch), or you drill tons of holes and can't find anything but dinks. The bass are fun to catch through the ice too there. Going straight out from the launch is a good place to start. Just drill a bunch of holes at various depths until you locate them. I haven't been there this year, but it's been decent in the past.

All the lakes in that area that I've tried have had decent gill populations if you can find them through the ice. Emily can be good, but I've also gone a number of times and only caught dinks. Also a fun place to catch (and release) winter bass. I've caught bluegills 5' down in 40' of water there, so it can be really tricky sometimes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.