The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: jiffy ice auger repair model 30 3hp  (Read 53731 times)

Offline iceman45

• IceShanty Rookie
jiffy ice auger repair model 30 3hp
« on: Jan 09, 2011, 05:23 PM »
has anyone had this problem ? Once I start to drill a hole I get about half way and  the auger stops on me ,but if I keep pushing in the primer and priming it it will stay running ? Looks like lack of fuel , but where and how ????

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Dave

Offline RE-PETE

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trying to teach my friend matt 300 how its done!
Re: jiffy ice auger repair model 30 3hp
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2011, 05:31 PM »
its the carb, get a  rebuild kit for a 3 hp tecuseh engine. The ethanol in fuel does this to carborated engines, its always good to run some stabil.
Matt300 and Repete as young-bucks teaching the bucks how to fish!!! this is where we separate the men from the ladies!

Offline bigpick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2011, 05:32 PM »
I sometimes have that problem too.  What fuel ratio are you running? I was advised to run a leaner ratio than it says on the sticker to help avoid this. I do see that when I get through a few holes it runs great, maybe it just needs more time to warm up, I'm at a loss here too.

Offline iceman45

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2011, 05:36 PM »
Humm I may try a new carb , where could I buy one? I have not added gas stabilizer or messed around with the mix. This happened at the end of last year as well.
Thank you for the help guys :)

Offline bigpick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2011, 05:38 PM »
Have you tried adjusted your carb?

Offline Massfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2011, 05:39 PM »
try adjusting the high idle screw.  that is if you take the worm off auger and it runs fine with no load on it
 IF all else fails get a can of starting fluid and spray that in there as its running, that has solved the same problem 2 times on other equiptment for me.  
I'm a Sucker Slaughterer!!

Offline mbs1957

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2011, 05:41 PM »
Happened to my Jifffy 2yrs ago pick up a carburator repair kit or find a small engine repair guy.Make sure you run it with premium gas with the propper mix ratio.GOOD LUCK !!!!!!!!!! My Jiffy 30 is 12yrs old 1or 2 pulls starts rite up.

Offline iceman45

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2011, 05:41 PM »
yes last year I has some one take a look and sync the carb ,but it is an older model who knows it the carb is gone. Or maybe the gas line is gummy ? gurrrr!!!!

Offline iceman45

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2011, 05:42 PM »
awesome! Thank you everyone

Offline yakk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2011, 05:45 PM »

Offline yakk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2011, 05:47 PM »
i also run amzoil 2 stroke-100-1 mix

Offline iceman45

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2011, 05:48 PM »
great thank you yakk

Offline BogMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2011, 06:11 PM »
I run stabil in everything gas operated. Summer and winter. Empty most of the gas out and put some Seafoam in it. Run some of this stuff through the system it will clean as it runs. Nappa has some in a metal can.

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2011, 06:47 PM »
sounds stupid but mine had paint in the carb. took mine apart and cleaned it out, write down the jet settings before taking it apart, count turns in til it stops then write thoe numbers down, then count them later working backwards

Offline pickled herring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2011, 06:52 PM »
Use the stabil blue ethanol treatment. you can use the regular red stabil, but it's the ethanol stuff ya want. rebuild the carb and use 93 octane gas with the ethanol treatment and you should be fine.

Offline newbraintree

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get a Set!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2011, 06:56 PM »
The diaphragm  in the bottom of the carb may need to be replaced.   Did you store it wet or dry last season?
, , ,

Offline IceLunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2011, 07:01 PM »

Maybe a strange question but...  This has happened to me when i first got it... ::)

I've forgotten to release screw on the gas cap.   It runs, then dies.  Not sure how new
you are to this model.

-g
"A bad day of fishing, is better than a good day at work"

Offline icefisher35

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2011, 07:30 PM »
I received a jiffy 30 for free because it wouldn't run a carb rebuild kit a new gas cap (the one on it was bent) and a new primer button later runs great. also had to sharpen the blades. I went on jiffy's web site and found a local dealer for parts into it for under $30 and cant beat it. Good luck and have heard great things about the sea foam will be putting it in mine this year.

Offline amartin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FLAG UP!!!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 2011, 09:36 PM »
I had the same problem as Icelunker. if the breather valve is not open on the gas cap the fuel won't get to the engine and it just dies from lack of fuel.

Offline mjcjr1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 09, 2011, 10:40 PM »
Before you go messing w/ carb and carb adjustments...If it's got the vent screw on the gas cap open it one turn once its started should do the trick.

good luck,

mike c

Offline ice hole bill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 10, 2011, 05:33 AM »
funny only jiffys has this problem. Everyone I know with a jiffy has trouble with there carbs over and over again. Strikemaster and eskimo seem to have it right. Not sure why but that was the reason I bought a new strikemaster this year. Loven it ;D

Offline iceman45

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 10, 2011, 08:31 AM »
Yes I did check and the cap is vented  :(

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 10, 2011, 10:17 AM »
I believe these are Walbro Carbs.... Good Carbs but as New braintree said, at a minimum, take off the 4 screws on the bottom plate to the diaphram and check it out (blow through the line too while your there). Definately use Startron and Stabil in your mix to mitigate the ethenol issue.

Moving on: (with out a carb rebuild) remove you highspeed jet (carefully) and blow it out with compressor if you got one.

Moving on: rebuild the damn thing... there really is nothing to them..

Flaggs!
IceShanty.Com: "The best place to go ice fishing, when you can't go ice fishing!"   A Flaggs Orginal

Offline Mugz

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 10, 2011, 11:47 AM »
The diaphragm  in the bottom of the carb may need to be replaced.   

Happened to me this year......tried firing it up last week. No gas getting to carb...air bubble in gas line. Can't pump gas to carb. Ordered carb kit today...$20.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 10, 2011, 11:51 AM »
 Most likely the diaphram...C&J supply in Tewksbury shold have one... or you can order one from partstree.com..
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline ThatsASub

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "DROP THAT FISH" - B. Meredith - Grumpy Old Men 93
« Reply #25 on: Jan 10, 2011, 02:49 PM »
Use a jiffy spud. They dont break down lol.   Anyway I own a Jiffy 3hp. 4 years old and it's a pain. I'm gonna sell it soon.   Leaner oil mix works, but better to use higher octane fuel with almost 50 to one mix (more like 60-70 to one) as you want to keep the pistons lubed.

I agree with FLAGGS and a few others.  If really bad, may need the kit.  I believe the Tom's bait store/shiner warehouse in middleboro will have as they sell jiffy parts.  (508) 947-8220  or  (508) 947-9767.

Good luck.
"I've caught more fish than you've lied about Gustafson" - Max Goldman - Grumpy Old Men 1993

Offline masshysteria

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Taking my Grandson fishing!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 10, 2011, 03:06 PM »
It does sound like you need a rebuild kit. the Stabil is a definite, but will not help you to fix this problem until its rebuilt. My neighbor, who repairs 2 and 4 stroke engines, suggests that a higher octane gas be used in these single cylinder engines. The ethanol in the lower octanes ruins the carbs.  :'(
Tom

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 10, 2011, 03:16 PM »
Ethanol / E10 fuels increase the amounts of water and sludge in your fuel tank.
Star Tron breaks down this excess water and sludge to sub-micron size allowing it to be safely burned away during normal engine operation. Therefore Star Tron prevents phase separation and fuel gelling, eliminating ethanol fuel problems.

It is the water content in the ethanol that is rasing havoc with 2 cycle engines with gas/oil mix.
Always use high octane in these little buggers! 

Always use a pinch of StarTron enzyme additive with 2 cycle engines!

But like said, this is not the problem, but more a preventive maintenance approach once the carb is rebuilt! I do a ton of them for my buddies!

Flaggs!
IceShanty.Com: "The best place to go ice fishing, when you can't go ice fishing!"   A Flaggs Orginal

Offline newbraintree

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get a Set!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 13, 2011, 03:35 AM »
The diaphragm will dry out if you run it completely dry of gas, but the carb will get clogged with gas that gets broken down.  This year, I ran it dry before storing it versus last year when I did nothing except leave the gas that I had treated with Startron.  Last year, i started right up.  This year~ new diaphragm.  I think that this spring, I am going to completely remove the carb and treat it with a little Mystery Oil and store it in the house instead of the basement.
, , ,

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 13, 2011, 08:31 AM »
Newbraintree....

That seems a bit extreme to me. What I would do is get a can of fogger and before storing it away, have Cam spray fogger into the carb air intake and run full throttle until it starts to smoke heavily. Shut 'er down and you will be good to go. (I use Mercruiser fogger) I use it in my 85hp outboard as well. on my outboard, I also pull the plugs and spray 5 seconds down each cylinder and crank it over a couple times. She starts first time everytime after the long winter storage. the fuel treatment you use covers the internals of the Carb ... no problems!

You're approach is certainly a good one, but like I said, it seems a bit over the top, but hay, whatever makes you comfortable!  ;)

Flaggs!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.